* [Buildroot] [RFC] libedit: start using autotools-based libedit?
@ 2013-07-19 14:22 Thomas De Schampheleire
From: Thomas De Schampheleire @ 2013-07-19 14:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hi,

The current libedit library in buildroot is downloaded from debian (no
regular homepage) and is a generic package. However, there also exists
another libedit package, that is autotools-based, based on NetBSD
libedit, and still active (latest release of 2013-07-12)

See http://www.thrysoee.dk/editline/

My question is: what do you think about starting to use that version?

I don't have code currently using libedit, so I can't assess whether
both are compatible or not.

The .mk file would become much simpler:
LIBEDIT_VERSION = 20130712-3.1
LIBEDIT_SITE    = http://www.thrysoee.dk/editline
LIBEDIT_INSTALL_STAGING = YES

so there's definitely some advantage to it.

Any users of libedit care to try?

Thanks,
Thomas

* [Buildroot] [RFC] libedit: start using autotools-based libedit?
@ 2013-07-19 16:14 ` Yann E. MORIN
From: Yann E. MORIN @ 2013-07-19 16:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Thomas, All,

On 2013-07-19 16:22 +0200, Thomas De Schampheleire spake thusly:
> The current libedit library in buildroot is downloaded from debian (no
> regular homepage) and is a generic package. However, there also exists
> another libedit package, that is autotools-based, based on NetBSD
> libedit, and still active (latest release of 2013-07-12)
>
> See http://www.thrysoee.dk/editline/
>
> My question is: what do you think about starting to use that version?
>
> I don't have code currently using libedit, so I can't assess whether
> both are compatible or not.
>
> The .mk file would become much simpler:
> LIBEDIT_VERSION = 20130712-3.1
> LIBEDIT_SITE    = http://www.thrysoee.dk/editline
> LIBEDIT_INSTALL_STAGING = YES
  $(eval $(autotools-package))

;-)

> so there's definitely some advantage to it.
>
> Any users of libedit care to try?

OK, I'm queuing this for testing. Thanks for pointing this out. :-)

Regards,
Yann E. MORIN.