* [Buildroot] Pending "big" patch series
@ 2014-09-14 10:53 Thomas Petazzoni
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Thomas Petazzoni @ 2014-09-14 10:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hello,

Since we're still early in the cycle, it's a good time to look at the
big patch series that are pending, and take a decision on them. I've
compiled a subjective list of the "big" patch series that are pending,
with some comments on each of them. Please add your own comments, and
volunteer to review/test the series. Thanks!

 * Moving to a two stage gcc build (5 patches)
   http://lists.busybox.net/pipermail/buildroot/2014-September/106069.html

   Needs some testing from others.

 * gendoc infra: make it useable for other documents (18 patches)
   http://lists.busybox.net/pipermail/buildroot/2014-September/105678.html

   I'm personally not highly interested in making the gendoc infra
   suitable for other documents than the manual, so I'm not very
   motivated to review this. But maybe other persons are interested,
   especially Samuel or Thomas DS who have followed the gendoc changes?

 * fs/ext2: misc enhancements (4 patches)
   http://lists.busybox.net/pipermail/buildroot/2014-September/105325.html

   Needs review, nothing really complicated here.

 * Introduce libudev (15 patches)
   http://lists.busybox.net/pipermail/buildroot/2014-September/105309.html

   Needs review and testing, but the patch series has gone through
   several iterations already, it should be almost good to go.

 * OpenCV improvement (8 patches)
   http://lists.busybox.net/pipermail/buildroot/2014-August/105208.html

   Needs review.

 * New GFX drivers (4 patches)
   http://lists.busybox.net/pipermail/buildroot/2014-August/105179.html

   Needs review.

 * CMake cleanup (5 patches)
   http://lists.busybox.net/pipermail/buildroot/2014-August/104794.html

   Needs review.

 * ncurses wide support (4 patches)
   http://lists.busybox.net/pipermail/buildroot/2014-August/104715.html

   Needs testing. We really need to get that one merged early, to get
   some autobuilder coverage.

 * toolchain: warn for unsafe library/header paths (12 patches)
   http://lists.busybox.net/pipermail/buildroot/2014-August/104702.html

   I have to respin with a new version.

 * perl: add host variant (6 patches)
   http://lists.busybox.net/pipermail/buildroot/2014-August/104654.html

   We need to get that merged to solve some problems, but on the other
   hand, having to build host-perl as soon as a host Perl module is
   built is annoying.

 * Add libgtk3 and bump webkit to version 2.4.3 (3 patches)
   http://lists.busybox.net/pipermail/buildroot/2014-August/103387.html

   Since the GSoC is over and Hadrien will not continue to work on
   Buildroot, someone needs to adopt those patches. Eric, maybe?

 * packages: rename _OPT into _OPTS (2 patches)
   http://lists.busybox.net/pipermail/buildroot/2014-July/103082.html

   Thomas DS, could you respin this patch series?

Thomas
--
Thomas Petazzoni, CTO, Free Electrons
http://free-electrons.com

* [Buildroot] Pending "big" patch series
@ 2014-09-14 11:10 ` Yann E. MORIN
From: Yann E. MORIN @ 2014-09-14 11:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Thomas, All,

On 2014-09-14 12:53 +0200, Thomas Petazzoni spake thusly:
> Since we're still early in the cycle, it's a good time to look at the
> big patch series that are pending, and take a decision on them. I've
> compiled a subjective list of the "big" patch series that are pending,
> with some comments on each of them. Please add your own comments, and
> volunteer to review/test the series. Thanks!

As said on IRC, I have most of those series tagged for review here.
I just need to find/dedicate some time to that...

>  * gendoc infra: make it useable for other documents (18 patches)
>    http://lists.busybox.net/pipermail/buildroot/2014-September/105678.html
>
>    I'm personally not highly interested in making the gendoc infra
>    suitable for other documents than the manual, so I'm not very
>    motivated to review this. But maybe other persons are interested,
>    especially Samuel or Thomas DS who have followed the gendoc changes?

I've sent a new version of this series:
    http://lists.busybox.net/pipermail/buildroot/2014-September/106077.html

Regards,
Yann E. MORIN.

* [Buildroot] Pending "big" patch series
@ 2014-09-14 18:41 ` Thomas De Schampheleire
From: Thomas De Schampheleire @ 2014-09-14 18:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hi Thomas,

On Sun, Sep 14, 2014 at 12:53 PM, Thomas Petazzoni
<thomas.petazzoni@free-electrons.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Since we're still early in the cycle, it's a good time to look at the
> big patch series that are pending, and take a decision on them. I've
> compiled a subjective list of the "big" patch series that are pending,
> with some comments on each of them. Please add your own comments, and
> volunteer to review/test the series. Thanks!

Thanks a lot for sending this out, this is a great way to put focus
and make sure we can reduce the open patches!

Below my input on some of the patches:

>  * gendoc infra: make it useable for other documents (18 patches)
>    http://lists.busybox.net/pipermail/buildroot/2014-September/105678.html
>
>    I'm personally not highly interested in making the gendoc infra
>    suitable for other documents than the manual, so I'm not very
>    motivated to review this. But maybe other persons are interested,
>    especially Samuel or Thomas DS who have followed the gendoc changes?

I am definitely planning in reviewing this but did not yet get to it.
I am currently working on improving the 'Project-specific
customizations' chapter in the manual and would like to finish that
(almost ready) before doing something else.

>  * CMake cleanup (5 patches)
>    http://lists.busybox.net/pipermail/buildroot/2014-August/104794.html
>
>    Needs review.

I see Yann provided some comments here.
I performed some basic testing on the first iteration of the series
(which is the same as v2 where only typos were fixed and the last
patch was discarded) and did not see obvious problems.

>  * ncurses wide support (4 patches)
>    http://lists.busybox.net/pipermail/buildroot/2014-August/104715.html
>
>    Needs testing. We really need to get that one merged early, to get
>    some autobuilder coverage.

Would autobuild testing not suffice in this case? Gustavo already
indicated he did an allyespackageconfig to test. There could be some
changes since then but that would easily be found by autobuild, no ?

>  * packages: rename _OPT into _OPTS (2 patches)
>    http://lists.busybox.net/pipermail/buildroot/2014-July/103082.html
>
>    Thomas DS, could you respin this patch series?

First question is: do you accept the principle of the change?
If the patches are acceptable, then clearly I can rebase them.

Thanks,
Thomas

* [Buildroot] Pending "big" patch series
@ 2014-09-14 19:46   ` Yann E. MORIN
From: Yann E. MORIN @ 2014-09-14 19:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Thomas, All,

On 2014-09-14 20:41 +0200, Thomas De Schampheleire spake thusly:
> Hi Thomas,
>
> On Sun, Sep 14, 2014 at 12:53 PM, Thomas Petazzoni
> <thomas.petazzoni@free-electrons.com> wrote:
[--SNIP--]
> >  * packages: rename _OPT into _OPTS (2 patches)
> >    http://lists.busybox.net/pipermail/buildroot/2014-July/103082.html
> >
> >    Thomas DS, could you respin this patch series?
>
> First question is: do you accept the principle of the change?
> If the patches are acceptable, then clearly I can rebase them.

I think the renaming makes sense, even more so since we do catch the old
names (especiually usefull for br2-external.)

So even though it is not transparent, the user is not left clueless
s to why his packages no longer build or install.

So, you have my backing on this series.

Regards,
Yann E. MORIN.

* [Buildroot] Pending "big" patch series
@ 2014-09-23 18:02 ` Thomas Petazzoni
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Thomas Petazzoni @ 2014-09-23 18:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hello,

A quick status on those big patch series.

On Sun, 14 Sep 2014 12:53:21 +0200, Thomas Petazzoni wrote:

>  * Moving to a two stage gcc build (5 patches)
>    http://lists.busybox.net/pipermail/buildroot/2014-September/106069.html
>
>    Needs some testing from others.

Has been merged.

>  * gendoc infra: make it useable for other documents (18 patches)
>    http://lists.busybox.net/pipermail/buildroot/2014-September/105678.html
>
>    I'm personally not highly interested in making the gendoc infra
>    suitable for other documents than the manual, so I'm not very
>    motivated to review this. But maybe other persons are interested,
>    especially Samuel or Thomas DS who have followed the gendoc changes?

I've applied PATCH 1, but I've raised concerns on PATCH 2.

>  * fs/ext2: misc enhancements (4 patches)
>    http://lists.busybox.net/pipermail/buildroot/2014-September/105325.html
>
>    Needs review, nothing really complicated here.

Still needs review/testing.

>  * Introduce libudev (15 patches)
>    http://lists.busybox.net/pipermail/buildroot/2014-September/105309.html
>
>    Needs review and testing, but the patch series has gone through
>    several iterations already, it should be almost good to go.

Ditto.

>  * OpenCV improvement (8 patches)
>    http://lists.busybox.net/pipermail/buildroot/2014-August/105208.html
>
>    Needs review.

I've applied the first patch. But the second patch has some major
comments from Yann that are unsolved. Samuel, can you resend a new
version?

>  * New GFX drivers (4 patches)
>    http://lists.busybox.net/pipermail/buildroot/2014-August/105179.html
>
>    Needs review.

New version sent by Yann at
http://lists.busybox.net/pipermail/buildroot/2014-September/106746.html.
Still needs review and testing.

>  * CMake cleanup (5 patches)
>    http://lists.busybox.net/pipermail/buildroot/2014-August/104794.html
>
>    Needs review.

No change, still needs review.

>  * ncurses wide support (4 patches)
>    http://lists.busybox.net/pipermail/buildroot/2014-August/104715.html
>
>    Needs testing. We really need to get that one merged early, to get
>    some autobuilder coverage.

Applied.

>  * toolchain: warn for unsafe library/header paths (12 patches)
>    http://lists.busybox.net/pipermail/buildroot/2014-August/104702.html
>
>    I have to respin with a new version.

No change, it's on my TODO-list.

>  * perl: add host variant (6 patches)
>    http://lists.busybox.net/pipermail/buildroot/2014-August/104654.html
>
>    We need to get that merged to solve some problems, but on the other
>    hand, having to build host-perl as soon as a host Perl module is
>    built is annoying.

No change.

>  * Add libgtk3 and bump webkit to version 2.4.3 (3 patches)
>    http://lists.busybox.net/pipermail/buildroot/2014-August/103387.html
>
>    Since the GSoC is over and Hadrien will not continue to work on
>    Buildroot, someone needs to adopt those patches. Eric, maybe?

Eric has taken over the libgtk3 patch and has sent a new version.
Nobody has volunteered for webkit so far.

>  * packages: rename _OPT into _OPTS (2 patches)
>    http://lists.busybox.net/pipermail/buildroot/2014-July/103082.html
>
>    Thomas DS, could you respin this patch series?

Thomas ?

Best regards,

Thomas
--

@ 2014-09-23 19:41   ` Thomas De Schampheleire
From: Thomas De Schampheleire @ 2014-09-23 19:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Thomas Petazzoni <thomas.petazzoni@free-electrons.com> schreef:
>Hello,
>
>A quick status on those big patch series.
>
>On Sun, 14 Sep 2014 12:53:21 +0200, Thomas Petazzoni wrote:
>
>>  * gendoc infra: make it useable for other documents (18 patches)
>>    http://lists.busybox.net/pipermail/buildroot/2014-September/105678.html
>>
>>    I'm personally not highly interested in making the gendoc infra
>>    suitable for other documents than the manual, so I'm not very
>>    motivated to review this. But maybe other persons are interested,
>>    especially Samuel or Thomas DS who have followed the gendoc changes?
>
>I've applied PATCH 1, but I've raised concerns on PATCH 2.

I'm in the process of reviewing this, but due to time constraints the review is split over many days...

>>  * CMake cleanup (5 patches)
>>    http://lists.busybox.net/pipermail/buildroot/2014-August/104794.html
>>
>>    Needs review.
>
>No change, still needs review.

Who, besides Samuel himself, has experience with cmake and is willing to review this? It would be a great help to the community, so please step up!

>>  * packages: rename _OPT into _OPTS (2 patches)
>>    http://lists.busybox.net/pipermail/buildroot/2014-July/103082.html
>>
>>    Thomas DS, could you respin this patch series?
>
>Thomas ?

Yes, this is on my list, right after the ongoing review of Yann's patches...

Best regards,
Thomas

* [Buildroot] Pending "big" patch series
@ 2014-09-23 21:37   ` Eric Le Bihan
From: Eric Le Bihan @ 2014-09-23 21:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

On Tue, Sep 23, 2014 at 08:02:55PM +0200, Thomas Petazzoni wrote:

> >  * Add libgtk3 and bump webkit to version 2.4.3 (3 patches)
> >    http://lists.busybox.net/pipermail/buildroot/2014-August/103387.html
> >
> >    Since the GSoC is over and Hadrien will not continue to work on
> >    Buildroot, someone needs to adopt those patches. Eric, maybe?
>
> Eric has taken over the libgtk3 patch and has sent a new version.
> Nobody has volunteered for webkit so far.

I had a quick look at the webkit patch. Webkit is a strange beast with issues
when building with parallelism activated. When building version 2.4.3, I
encountered the bug mentioned in the commit log, and when I bumped to 2.4.5,
I've found more parallel build issues (and some ARM ASM ones too).

It looks like version 2.6.0 is on its way. The build system now uses cmake
instead of autotools. I'll try a bump to 2.5.90 to see if the issues are
solved.

BTW, why is this package still called "webkit" whereas it is in fact
"webkit-gtk"?

Best regards,
ELB

* [Buildroot] Pending "big" patch series
@ 2014-09-26 16:47     ` Thomas Petazzoni
From: Thomas Petazzoni @ 2014-09-26 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hello Eric,

On Tue, 23 Sep 2014 23:37:52 +0200, Eric Le Bihan wrote:

> I had a quick look at the webkit patch. Webkit is a strange beast with issues
> when building with parallelism activated. When building version 2.4.3, I
> encountered the bug mentioned in the commit log, and when I bumped to 2.4.5,
> I've found more parallel build issues (and some ARM ASM ones too).

Argh. Not being able to build Webkit in parallel would be quite
annoying: it's a really huge package, so building in parallel brings a
significant build time reduction.

Regarding the bug in 2.4.3, it seems to be potentially a bug in make
itself, because make takes 100% of CPU time and is completely stuck. I
have compiled a host make with debugging symbols, but I haven't had the
time to reproduce the build.

> It looks like version 2.6.0 is on its way. The build system now uses cmake
> instead of autotools. I'll try a bump to 2.5.90 to see if the issues are
> solved.

Great!

> BTW, why is this package still called "webkit" whereas it is in fact
> "webkit-gtk"?

Purely historical reasons I believe.

Thomas
--

@ 2014-10-02 19:29   ` Thomas De Schampheleire
From: Thomas De Schampheleire @ 2014-10-02 19:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

All,

New status update on the open patches:

On Tue, Sep 23, 2014 at 8:02 PM, Thomas Petazzoni
<thomas.petazzoni@free-electrons.com> wrote:

>>  * gendoc infra: make it useable for other documents (18 patches)
>>    http://lists.busybox.net/pipermail/buildroot/2014-September/105678.html
>>
>>    I'm personally not highly interested in making the gendoc infra
>>    suitable for other documents than the manual, so I'm not very
>>    motivated to review this. But maybe other persons are interested,
>>    especially Samuel or Thomas DS who have followed the gendoc changes?
>
> I've applied PATCH 1, but I've raised concerns on PATCH 2.

Series has largely been reviewed by Samuel and myself. There will be
at least v7, but I think the series will be ready for integration at
that version, since almost all patches have been Reviewed-by or
Acked-by.

>>  * fs/ext2: misc enhancements (4 patches)
>>    http://lists.busybox.net/pipermail/buildroot/2014-September/105325.html
>>
>>    Needs review, nothing really complicated here.
>
> Still needs review/testing.

No change I think, still needs review/testing.

>>  * Introduce libudev (15 patches)
>>    http://lists.busybox.net/pipermail/buildroot/2014-September/105309.html
>>
>>    Needs review and testing, but the patch series has gone through
>>    several iterations already, it should be almost good to go.
>
> Ditto.

Same.

>>  * OpenCV improvement (8 patches)
>>    http://lists.busybox.net/pipermail/buildroot/2014-August/105208.html
>>
>>    Needs review.
>
> I've applied the first patch. But the second patch has some major
> comments from Yann that are unsolved. Samuel, can you resend a new
> version?

Samuel?

>>  * New GFX drivers (4 patches)
>>    http://lists.busybox.net/pipermail/buildroot/2014-August/105179.html
>>
>>    Needs review.
>
> New version sent by Yann at
> http://lists.busybox.net/pipermail/buildroot/2014-September/106746.html.
> Still needs review and testing.

Same.

>>  * CMake cleanup (5 patches)
>>    http://lists.busybox.net/pipermail/buildroot/2014-August/104794.html
>>
>>    Needs review.
>
> No change, still needs review.

Applied now.

>>  * toolchain: warn for unsafe library/header paths (12 patches)
>>    http://lists.busybox.net/pipermail/buildroot/2014-August/104702.html
>>
>>    I have to respin with a new version.
>
> No change, it's on my TODO-list.

Same.

>>  * perl: add host variant (6 patches)
>>    http://lists.busybox.net/pipermail/buildroot/2014-August/104654.html
>>
>>    We need to get that merged to solve some problems, but on the other
>>    hand, having to build host-perl as soon as a host Perl module is
>>    built is annoying.
>
> No change.

Same.

>>  * Add libgtk3 and bump webkit to version 2.4.3 (3 patches)
>>    http://lists.busybox.net/pipermail/buildroot/2014-August/103387.html
>>
>>    Since the GSoC is over and Hadrien will not continue to work on
>>    Buildroot, someone needs to adopt those patches. Eric, maybe?
>
> Eric has taken over the libgtk3 patch and has sent a new version.
> Nobody has volunteered for webkit so far.

Same situation, AFAICS.

>>  * packages: rename _OPT into _OPTS (2 patches)
>>    http://lists.busybox.net/pipermail/buildroot/2014-July/103082.html
>>
>>    Thomas DS, could you respin this patch series?

Updated version sent, reviewed by Yann.
When the Peter or ThomasP are ready to merge this, there may be a
final rebase necessary or an additional patch to fix the newly
introduced issues, if any. Since the sed expressions are written in
the commit messages, that won't be a big problem.
http://lists.busybox.net/pipermail/buildroot/2014-September/107164.html

Best regards,
Thomas

* [Buildroot] Pending "big" patch series
@ 2014-12-27 21:49     ` Thomas Petazzoni
From: Thomas Petazzoni @ 2014-12-27 21:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Dear Eric Le Bihan,

On Tue, 23 Sep 2014 23:37:52 +0200, Eric Le Bihan wrote:

> I had a quick look at the webkit patch. Webkit is a strange beast with issues
> when building with parallelism activated. When building version 2.4.3, I
> encountered the bug mentioned in the commit log, and when I bumped to 2.4.5,
> I've found more parallel build issues (and some ARM ASM ones too).
>
> It looks like version 2.6.0 is on its way. The build system now uses cmake
> instead of autotools. I'll try a bump to 2.5.90 to see if the issues are
> solved.

We're now at Webkit 2.7.3. Do you have any updates about bumping the
webkit package? We still have the old patches from Hadrien Boutteville
in patchwork: http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/375495/ and
http://patchwork.ozlabs.org/patch/375494/. It would be good to be able
to get rid of them at some point by having a version that fully works
and that can therefore be applied.

Thanks!

Thomas