* Windows 7 guest installer does not detect drive if physical partition used instead of disk file.
@ 2015-03-20 17:50 Emmanuel Noobadmin
From: Emmanuel Noobadmin @ 2015-03-20 17:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kvm

Running
3.18.9-200.fc21.x86_64
qemu 2:2.1.3-3.fc21
libvirt 1.2.9.2-1.fc21
System is a Thinkpad X250 with Intel i7-5600u Broadwell GT2

I'm trying to replace the Win7 installation on my laptop with Fedora
21 and virtualizing Windows 7 for work purposes. I'd prefer to give
the guest its own NTFS partition instead of using a file for both
performance and ease of potential recovery.

So I've set aside unpartitioned space on the hard disk and added
/dev/sda to the virt-manager storage pool, created a new volume and
assigned it to the guest as an IDE drive. Unfortunately, the Windows 7
installer does not see this drive despite being "IDE" and not virtio.
If I use a qcow2 file as the drive, the installer has no problems
detecting it.

To eliminate virt-manager from the equation, I've also tried to do a
very basic install using virt-install with similar results, the
physical partition cannot be detected regardless of bus type
(IDE/SATA/virtio) even with the signed Redhat virtio drivers loaded by
the installer.

I was unable to find any similar issues or solutions online except a 2
year old thread on linuxquestions which quoted that we must specify
the whole disk instead of a partition. However, I cannot find the
source of that quote.
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/linux-virtualization-and-cloud-90/qemu-kvm-on-a-real-partition-947162/

Is this really the case and the reason why Windows 7 cannot see the
physical partition or there is something else I am doing wrong?