* [BUG] - Why anyone fix this problem?
@ 2015-02-02 13:10 Francesco Other
From: Francesco Other @ 2015-02-02 13:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-media

Is it possible that the problem I explained here isn't interesting for anyone?

The device is supported by kernel but obviously there is a bug with DVB-T.

I have the working firmware (on Windows) for DVB-T if you need it.

http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-media/msg85505.html

http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-media/msg85478.html

http://www.spinics.net/lists/linux-media/msg85432.html

Regards

Francesco

* Re: [BUG] - Why anyone fix this problem?
@ 2015-02-02 13:18 ` Roberto Alcântara
From: Roberto Alcântara @ 2015-02-02 13:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Francesco Other, Mauro Carvalho Chehab; +Cc: linux-media

Mauro,

Francesco has reported problem with DVB-T on Siano sms2270. Basically
him reach a lock with tzap but seems not have stream data.

I tried to help him to debug but I can't reproduce their problem once
I have isdb-t only here. He is using some dvb firmware with device
that seems works fine on Windows.

Cheers,
 - Roberto

 - Roberto

@ 2015-02-03  8:06 ` Olli Salonen
From: Olli Salonen @ 2015-02-03  8:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Francesco Other; +Cc: linux-media

Hi Francesco,

You need to understand that many people write code for their own
enjoyment. In other words, they often write code to scratch an itch.
Thus it can sometimes happen that there really is no-one here who
could help you. The person who wrote the code originally might have
stopped contributing and is more interested in gardening or
kiteboarding these days. Maybe no-one here just has heard of the
device you're talking about or owns one.

Anyway, I did some digging for you. The support for your device was
originally added based on this patch
https://patchwork.linuxtv.org/patch/7881/ submitted by Doron Cohen
<doronc@siano-ms.com>. It seems he's working for the Siano company
itself. Have you tried contacting them already?

Cheers,
-olli

@ 2015-02-03  9:42   ` Francesco Other
From: Francesco Other @ 2015-02-03  9:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Olli Salonen; +Cc: linux-media

Maybe when Doron Cohen wrote the patch the device worked fine but now,
after that someone change the code for their own enjoyment, it
doesn't.

If you read my question you will find that the device has signal lock
but no data stream. There isn't need to write a code from scratch
because I have the working firmware that kernel asks for.

I don't know what the problem is, I'm an aerospace engineer not a
software engineer.

Best Regards

Francesco

@ 2015-02-03 10:57     ` Olli Salonen
From: Olli Salonen @ 2015-02-03 10:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Francesco Other; +Cc: linux-media

Well, if you suspect that some other change broke the driver, then you
can try an older kernel (the support was introduced in kernel 3.10) or
an older media_tree to see if that's indeed the case.

The firmware is just one small piece of the puzzle. Maybe you can just
replace the firmware or maybe you need to write a lot of code or even
both. All this is next to impossible to say without having a very
strictly defined and pinpointed issue or alternatively the actual
device to play around with. So far it seems you're the only one with
that device here, so it would help a lot if you can narrow the scope
down by saying: "it worked fine in kernel xyz, but commit abc seems to
break the support for the device" or "it seems it has never worked for
DVB-T".

Cheers,
-olli

@ 2015-02-04 17:16       ` Francesco Other
From: Francesco Other @ 2015-02-04 17:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Olli Salonen; +Cc: linux-media

Ok, Doron Cohen solved the problem in 5 seconds.

There are 2 mode for DVB-T, we need to force mode 4 instead of mode 0.

Thanks to Roberto for trying to solve the problem and to Olli for the
e-mail of Doron Cohen.

Regards

Francesco