* [B.A.T.M.A.N.] Simple Multicast on Batman-Adv
@ 2018-01-17 23:41 Linchieh, Alex
From: Linchieh, Alex @ 2018-01-17 23:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: b.a.t.m.a.n

Hello,

I am having some issues getting simple multicast to work under batman-adv (2017.4).

I have isolated the system as much as I can to reduce any uncertainties associated with wlan. My test environment consists of 4 virtual machines (ubuntu server 17.10) that are connected to each other via an internal ethernet network. I have been able to get the bat0 interface working over the ethernet interface (enp0s3). I am able to get the devices to ping eachother over the batman mesh as well as send iperf test data via TCP and UDP unicast modes. However I have not been able to get multicast running properly over the bat0 interface.

The commands I am using to initialize batman-adv on each of the virtual machines are as follows:

Sudo modprobe batman-adv
Sudo ifconfig enp0s3 up
Sudo batctl if add enp0s3
Sudo ifconfig bat0 192.168.14.x/24	where "x" is replaced with a number depending on the VM
Sudo route add -host 239.255.10.10 bat0

I am using iperf in order to generate multicast traffic from the iperf client (192.168.14.1), and the iperf servers (192.168.2, 3, 4). The client which generates multicast data is able to "connect" to the multicast address and send data. Iperf also shows that the servers are able to subscribe to the multicast address however this is as far as I can get because the multicast data does not appear to ever reach the subscribers. When I use tcp dump to monitor the bat0 interfaces on these devices, I can see outgoing multicast traffic from the multicast sender, however the bat0 interface on the multicast receivers does not show anything, so it looks like none of the multicast traffic seems to be reaching any of the subscribers (or perhaps the multicast subscribers aren't able to communicate that they are subscribed to the multicast address).

I have tested this with "batctl mm" set to both enabled and disabled. In addition, when I try to run "batctl mf" it says that I am not connected to a mesh (even though I am).

I have also duplicated this test using just the internal Ethernet network (static IP addresses, batman disabled) and muilticast seems to work fine. This leads me to believe that there is something with batman-adv that I am overlooking.

If anyone could shed some light on enabling multicast on batman that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Alex

* Re: [B.A.T.M.A.N.] Simple Multicast on Batman-Adv
@ 2018-01-17 23:56 ` dan
From: dan @ 2018-01-17 23:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: The list for a Better Approach To Mobile Ad-hoc Networking

I dont see you setting MTU on enp0s3.