* Doubts Regaarding the checkpatch.pl
@ 2016-09-15 15:53 Anchal Jain
From: Anchal Jain @ 2016-09-15 15:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: outreachy-kernel

In checkpatch.pl tool only considers those patch which fixes the
warning and errors. Those patch fixes the CHECK using checkpatch.pl
tool. It is considered in the patch or not?

* Re: [Outreachy kernel] Doubts Regaarding the checkpatch.pl
@ 2016-09-15 16:38 ` Greg KH
From: Greg KH @ 2016-09-15 16:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anchal Jain; +Cc: outreachy-kernel

On Thu, Sep 15, 2016 at 08:53:18AM -0700, Anchal Jain wrote:
> In checkpatch.pl tool only considers those patch which fixes the
> warning and errors.

What do you mean by this?

> Those patch fixes the CHECK using checkpatch.pl tool. It is considered
> in the patch or not?

I'm sorry, but I can not parse this, can you rephrase it?

thanks,

gre gk-h

* Re: [Outreachy kernel] Doubts Regaarding the checkpatch.pl
@ 2016-09-15 16:53   ` Anchal Jain
From: Anchal Jain @ 2016-09-15 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Greg KH; +Cc: outreachy-kernel

>I'm sorry, but I can not parse this, can you rephrase it?

When we run checkpatch.pl on our staging directory then it shows
- Errors
- Warnings
- Checks

So I want to know if we solve the check using checkpatch.pl tool then it is
consider in our patches
or Only those checks is consider which is solved using  *cocci* script
because this script also fixes those
checks

Thanks,

@ 2016-09-15 17:14     ` Daniel Baluta
From: Daniel Baluta @ 2016-09-15 17:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anchal Jain; +Cc: Greg KH, outreachy-kernel

On Thu, Sep 15, 2016 at 7:53 PM, Anchal Jain <anchalj109@gmail.com> wrote:

>>I'm sorry, but I can not parse this, can you rephrase it?
>
> When we run checkpatch.pl on our staging directory then it shows
> - Errors
> - Warnings
> - Checks
>
> So I want to know if we solve the check using checkpatch.pl tool then it is
> consider in our patches
> or Only those checks is consider which is solved using  cocci script because
> this script also fixes those
> checks

Can you give a real example for the CHECK? :)

* Re: [Outreachy kernel] Doubts Regaarding the checkpatch.pl
@ 2016-09-15 17:32       ` Anchal Jain
From: Anchal Jain @ 2016-09-15 17:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Baluta; +Cc: Greg KH, outreachy-kernel

> Can you give a real example for the CHECK? :)

like this

 CHECK: Unnecessary parentheses around padapter->mlmeextpriv
 CHECK: Please don't use multiple blank lines
 CHECK: Unnecessary parentheses around pstapriv->sta_hash_lock
 CHECK: Unnecessary parentheses around pstapriv->sta_hash_lock
 CHECK: Unnecessary parentheses around pmlmeext->mlmext_info
 CHECK: Concatenated strings should use spaces between elements

Thanks,

@ 2016-09-16  4:50         ` Alison Schofield
From: Alison Schofield @ 2016-09-16  4:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anchal Jain; +Cc: Daniel Baluta, Greg KH, outreachy-kernel

On Thu, Sep 15, 2016 at 11:02:50PM +0530, Anchal Jain wrote:
> > Can you give a real example for the CHECK? :)
>
> like this
>
>  CHECK: Unnecessary parentheses around padapter->mlmeextpriv
>  CHECK: Please don't use multiple blank lines
>  CHECK: Unnecessary parentheses around pstapriv->sta_hash_lock
>  CHECK: Unnecessary parentheses around pstapriv->sta_hash_lock
>  CHECK: Unnecessary parentheses around pmlmeext->mlmext_info
>  CHECK: Concatenated strings should use spaces between elements
>

> Thanks,
>
> On Thu, Sep 15, 2016 at 10:44 PM, Daniel Baluta <daniel.baluta@gmail.com>
> wrote:

> > > When we run checkpatch.pl on our staging directory then it shows
> > > - Errors
> > > - Warnings
> > > - Checks
> > >
> > > So I want to know if we solve the check using checkpatch.pl tool then
> > it is
> > > consider in our patches
> > > or Only those checks is consider which is solved using  cocci script
> > because
> > > this script also fixes those
> > > checks

Here's my take, let me know if I got the question right?

Sometime the cocci script identifies and maybe also corrects (if you are using
the patch option) issues that were also found by checkpatch.  So, the
question perhaps is which tool you would mention in your log message?

I'd say both. You would say the issue was found and fixed with
coccinelle and also corrects checkpatch issue: ....

Or, maybe I don't have the question right ;)

alisons

@ 2016-09-17 10:55           ` Anchal Jain
From: Anchal Jain @ 2016-09-17 10:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alison Schofield; +Cc: Daniel Baluta, Greg KH, outreachy-kernel