* [OpenRISC] OpenRISC isa changes proposal
@ 2016-10-11 19:23 Alexey Baturo
From: Alexey Baturo @ 2016-10-11 19:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openrisc

Hi, everyone!

I've been looking at openrisc isa recently, especially at orvdx part and
have some ideas to improve it.

First of all, there is no ORVDX32 extention and I don't see why shouldn't
we have it? It would not be very efficient, but why not?

Next one is related to vector instructions encoding. Let's say there are 2
types of vector instructions: the ones who operate on bytes and another
operate on vector. To distinguish them it would be useful to assume the
byte ones have LSB of 0 and 1 for halves. To do that we have to slightly
tune the encoding: i.e. make lv.avg.b and lv.avg.h be encoded with 0x38 and
0x39 respectively, instead of 0x39 and 0x3a. I could provide suggested list
of changes.

Thanks for attention.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* [OpenRISC] OpenRISC isa changes proposal
@ 2016-10-15 14:57 ` Jeremy Bennett
From: Jeremy Bennett @ 2016-10-15 14:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openrisc

* [OpenRISC] OpenRISC isa changes proposal
@ 2016-10-22  7:56   ` Stafford Horne
From: Stafford Horne @ 2016-10-22  7:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openrisc

On Sat, Oct 15, 2016 at 11:57 PM, Jeremy Bennett
<jeremy.bennett@embecosm.com> wrote:

> On 11/10/16 20:23, Alexey Baturo wrote:
>> Hi, everyone!
>>
>> I've been looking at openrisc isa recently, especially at orvdx
>> part and have some ideas to improve it.
>>
>> First of all, there is no ORVDX32 extention and I don't see why
>> shouldn't we have it? It would not be very efficient, but why not?
>>
>> Next one is related to vector instructions encoding. Let's say
>> there are 2 types of vector instructions: the ones who operate on
>> bytes and another operate on vector. To distinguish them it would
>> be useful to assume the byte ones have LSB of 0 and 1 for halves.
>> To do that we have to slightly tune the encoding: i.e. make
>> lv.avg.b and lv.avg.h be encoded with 0x38 and 0x39 respectively,
>> instead of 0x39 and 0x3a. I could provide suggested list of
>> changes.
>
> Hi Alexey,
>
> I wish you well with this project. Although the original spec included
> a set of vector instructions, I don't remember anyone ever
> implementing them. IIRC they were never added to Or1ksim either.
>
> So you should have plenty of scope to refine the details of the spec.

Hello,  just FYI, I sent a previous mail about moving the architecture
proposal process over to openrisc.io.  I just sent a pull request [1]
to add the new process on openrisc.io/architecture.

Once/If the pull request is accepted. This might be a good candidate
for using and giving any feedback on the new process.

[1] https://github.com/openrisc/openrisc.github.io/pulls

-Stafford