* [OpenRISC] mor1kx licensing
@ 2021-08-04  3:50 Julius Baxter
From: Julius Baxter @ 2021-08-04  3:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openrisc

Hello fellow mor1kx developers,

I've been meaning to do this for a while, but I'd like to propose we switch
the licence of the mor1kx to the CERN OHL v2, and then I can EOL the OHDL.

There are 3 types of the OHL v2 licence, basically 1) strongly reciprocal,
2) weakly reciprocal, and 3) permissive.

In the spirit of the OHDL the mor1kx is currently licensed under, I'd
suggest we go with the weakly-reciprocal licence, the CERN-OHL-W.

The OHWR site has a nice FAQ describing the difference between these v2
flavours:
https://ohwr.org/project/cernohl/wikis/faq#q-what-are-all-these-suffixes

The idea behind the OHDL was that it'd be file-level copyleft, just like
the MPL (or at least as I interpreted it) it was based on (via m-x
query-replace in Emacs :-P ). I think it'd be good to back the work Javier
and Andrew and Miriam have done with our own work.

I'm copying the OpenRISC list because I guess I want to make sure any
contributor from the past gets a heads up, too.

This is the first time I've done something like this, so am not too
familiar with the process. Should I just do a PR on github and we can
debate it on there?

Anyway, I'm interested in your thoughts. Feel free to contact me off list
if you prefer. Unless anyone objects, I'll do a PR relicensing the IP in
the coming week or so.

Cheers,
Julius
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* [OpenRISC] mor1kx licensing
@ 2021-08-04  4:31 ` Stefan Kristiansson
From: Stefan Kristiansson @ 2021-08-04  4:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openrisc

I'm in favor, and I agree that CERN-OHL-W sounds like the right flavor.

@ 2021-08-05  1:00   ` Stafford Horne
From: Stafford Horne @ 2021-08-05  1:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openrisc

I agree as well, CERN-OHL-W sounds right.  Also, to do the change a PR
updating all the files headers and the license file would be the way
to do it.

CCing Andrey as well and he did a lot of work on mor1kx FPU and other parts.

On Wed, Aug 4, 2021 at 1:32 PM Stefan Kristiansson
<stefan.kristiansson@saunalahti.fi> wrote:

> I'm in favor, and I agree that CERN-OHL-W sounds like the right flavor.
>
> On Wed, Aug 4, 2021 at 6:50 AM Julius Baxter <juliusbaxter@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hello fellow mor1kx developers,
>>
>> I've been meaning to do this for a while, but I'd like to propose we switch the licence of the mor1kx to the CERN OHL v2, and then I can EOL the OHDL.
>>
>> There are 3 types of the OHL v2 licence, basically 1) strongly reciprocal, 2) weakly reciprocal, and 3) permissive.
>>
>> In the spirit of the OHDL the mor1kx is currently licensed under, I'd suggest we go with the weakly-reciprocal licence, the CERN-OHL-W.
>>
>> The OHWR site has a nice FAQ describing the difference between these v2 flavours:
>> https://ohwr.org/project/cernohl/wikis/faq#q-what-are-all-these-suffixes
>>
>> The idea behind the OHDL was that it'd be file-level copyleft, just like the MPL (or at least as I interpreted it) it was based on (via m-x query-replace in Emacs :-P ). I think it'd be good to back the work Javier and Andrew and Miriam have done with our own work.
>>
>> I'm copying the OpenRISC list because I guess I want to make sure any contributor from the past gets a heads up, too.
>>
>> This is the first time I've done something like this, so am not too familiar with the process. Should I just do a PR on github and we can debate it on there?
>>
>> Anyway, I'm interested in your thoughts. Feel free to contact me off list if you prefer. Unless anyone objects, I'll do a PR relicensing the IP in the coming week or so.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Julius

* [OpenRISC] mor1kx licensing
@ 2021-08-06 12:22 ` Jeremy Bennett
From: Jeremy Bennett @ 2021-08-06 12:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openrisc

On 04/08/2021 04:50, Julius Baxter wrote:
> Hello fellow mor1kx developers,
>
> I've been meaning to do this for a while, but I'd like to propose we
> switch the licence of the mor1kx to the CERN OHL v2, and then I can EOL
> the OHDL.

Hi Julius,

Not sure I ever contributed anything, but I am happy with this change
and it applying to anything I did.

Best wishes,

Jeremy

> There are 3 types of the OHL v2 licence, basically 1) strongly
> reciprocal, 2) weakly reciprocal, and 3) permissive.
>
> In the spirit of the OHDL the mor1kx is currently licensed under, I'd
> suggest we go with the weakly-reciprocal licence, the CERN-OHL-W.
>
> The OHWR site has a nice FAQ describing the difference between these v2
> flavours:
> https://ohwr.org/project/cernohl/wikis/faq#q-what-are-all-these-suffixes
> <https://ohwr.org/project/cernohl/wikis/faq#q-what-are-all-these-suffixes>
>
> The idea behind the OHDL was that it'd be file-level copyleft, just like
> the MPL (or at least as I interpreted it) it was based on (via m-x
> query-replace in Emacs :-P ). I think it'd be good to back the work
> Javier and Andrew and Miriam have done with our own work.
>
> I'm copying the OpenRISC list because I guess I want to make sure any
> contributor from the past gets a heads up, too.
>
> This is the first time I've done something like this, so am not too
> familiar with the process. Should I just do a PR on github and we can
> debate it on there?
>
> Anyway, I'm interested in your thoughts. Feel free to contact me off
> list if you prefer. Unless anyone objects, I'll do a PR relicensing the
> IP in the coming week or so.
>
> Cheers,
> Julius

Cell: +44 (7970) 676050
SkypeID: jeremybennett
Twitter: @jeremypbennett
Email: jeremy.bennett at embecosm.com
Web: www.embecosm.com
PGP key: 1024D/BEF58172FB4754E1 2009-03-20

> I agree as well, CERN-OHL-W sounds right.  Also, to do the change a PR
> updating all the files headers and the license file would be the way
> to do it.
>
> CCing Andrey as well and he did a lot of work on mor1kx FPU and other parts.
>
> On Wed, Aug 4, 2021 at 1:32 PM Stefan Kristiansson
> <stefan.kristiansson@saunalahti.fi> wrote:
>>
>> I'm in favor, and I agree that CERN-OHL-W sounds like the right flavor.
>>
>> On Wed, Aug 4, 2021 at 6:50 AM Julius Baxter <juliusbaxter@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello fellow mor1kx developers,
>>>
>>> I've been meaning to do this for a while, but I'd like to propose we switch the licence of the mor1kx to the CERN OHL v2, and then I can EOL the OHDL.
>>>
>>> There are 3 types of the OHL v2 licence, basically 1) strongly reciprocal, 2) weakly reciprocal, and 3) permissive.
>>>
>>> In the spirit of the OHDL the mor1kx is currently licensed under, I'd suggest we go with the weakly-reciprocal licence, the CERN-OHL-W.
>>>
>>> The OHWR site has a nice FAQ describing the difference between these v2 flavours:
>>> https://ohwr.org/project/cernohl/wikis/faq#q-what-are-all-these-suffixes
>>>
>>> The idea behind the OHDL was that it'd be file-level copyleft, just like the MPL (or at least as I interpreted it) it was based on (via m-x query-replace in Emacs :-P ). I think it'd be good to back the work Javier and Andrew and Miriam have done with our own work.
>>>
>>> I'm copying the OpenRISC list because I guess I want to make sure any contributor from the past gets a heads up, too.
>>>
>>> This is the first time I've done something like this, so am not too familiar with the process. Should I just do a PR on github and we can debate it on there?
>>>
>>> Anyway, I'm interested in your thoughts. Feel free to contact me off list if you prefer. Unless anyone objects, I'll do a PR relicensing the IP in the coming week or so.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Julius

* [OpenRISC] mor1kx licensing
@ 2021-08-26  6:30   ` Olof Kindgren
From: Olof Kindgren @ 2021-08-26  6:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openrisc

I think this makes a lot of sense and you have my blessing and permission
in case there is anything in the code with my copyright

//Olof