* [Buildroot] Uncompressed kernel image for ARM architecture (Raspberry)
@ 2012-09-10 13:01 David Sanchez Herrero
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: David Sanchez Herrero @ 2012-09-10 13:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hi all,

Is there a way to obtain uncompressed kernel image for ARM architecture?

I'm trying to build a kernel and a root filesystem for Raspberry Pi from an
internal buildroot toolchain with uClibc, but the only supported formats
for the output kernel image are vmlinux, uImage and zImage.

Downloading the kernel sources from the Raspberry Git repositories, and
building them manually, an image file called "Image" is generated under
".arch/arm/boot/" folder, but this file doesn't exists if the building
process of the same sources is made by Buildroot.

Maybe using BR2_LINUX_KERNEL_IMAGE_TARGET_CUSTOM?

Thanks in advance.

Greeting, David.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

* [Buildroot] Uncompressed kernel image for ARM architecture (Raspberry)
@ 2012-09-10 13:03 ` Belisko Marek
From: Belisko Marek @ 2012-09-10 13:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hi David,

On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 3:01 PM, David Sanchez Herrero
<david.krusty@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Is there a way to obtain uncompressed kernel image for ARM architecture?
>
> I'm trying to build a kernel and a root filesystem for Raspberry Pi from an
> internal buildroot toolchain with uClibc, but the only supported formats for
> the output kernel image are vmlinux, uImage and zImage.
>
> Downloading the kernel sources from the Raspberry Git repositories, and
> building them manually, an image file called "Image" is generated under
> ".arch/arm/boot/" folder, but this file doesn't exists if the building
> process of the same sources is made by Buildroot.
Currently I have in my queue patches for RPI bootloader + kernel. Need
to do some testing
and the I'll post it to ML.

> Maybe using BR2_LINUX_KERNEL_IMAGE_TARGET_CUSTOM?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Greeting, David.

mbe

--
as simple and primitive as possible
Marek Belisko - OPEN-NANDRA

Tel: +421 915 052 184
skype: marekwhite
twitter: #opennandra
web: http://open-nandra.com

* [Buildroot] Uncompressed kernel image for ARM architecture (Raspberry)
@ 2012-09-10 13:59 ` Alex Bradbury
From: Alex Bradbury @ 2012-09-10 13:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

On 10 September 2012 14:01, David Sanchez Herrero
<david.krusty@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Is there a way to obtain uncompressed kernel image for ARM architecture?
>
> I'm trying to build a kernel and a root filesystem for Raspberry Pi from an
> internal buildroot toolchain with uClibc, but the only supported formats for
> the output kernel image are vmlinux, uImage and zImage.
>
> Downloading the kernel sources from the Raspberry Git repositories, and
> building them manually, an image file called "Image" is generated under
> ".arch/arm/boot/" folder, but this file doesn't exists if the building
> process of the same sources is made by Buildroot.
>
> Maybe using BR2_LINUX_KERNEL_IMAGE_TARGET_CUSTOM?

This is a reasonable feature request, but for the case of the
Raspberry Pi although we used to have problems with booting compressed
kernels, they should now work fine and so you can happily use a zImage
for your kernel.img

Alex

* [Buildroot] Uncompressed kernel image for ARM architecture (Raspberry)
@ 2012-09-12  9:07 ` Belisko Marek
From: Belisko Marek @ 2012-09-12  9:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hi David,

On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 3:01 PM, David Sanchez Herrero
<david.krusty@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Is there a way to obtain uncompressed kernel image for ARM architecture?
>
> I'm trying to build a kernel and a root filesystem for Raspberry Pi from an
> internal buildroot toolchain with uClibc, but the only supported formats for
> the output kernel image are vmlinux, uImage and zImage.
>
> Downloading the kernel sources from the Raspberry Git repositories, and
> building them manually, an image file called "Image" is generated under
> ".arch/arm/boot/" folder, but this file doesn't exists if the building
> process of the same sources is made by Buildroot. It will prepare boot partition
for RPI automatically.
Maybe you've seen that but to be sure ;):
http://lists.busybox.net/pipermail/buildroot/2012-September/058499.html

> Maybe using BR2_LINUX_KERNEL_IMAGE_TARGET_CUSTOM?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Greeting, David.

Cheers,

marek

--

@ 2012-09-12  9:23   ` David Sanchez Herrero
From: David Sanchez Herrero @ 2012-09-12  9:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hi again Belisko,

Yes, I have seen your mail a few minutes ago, but thanks for the notice!!!
;)

One question: when are the new funcionalities going to be released?? In the
next Builroot release, I suppose....

Greetings, David.

@ 2012-09-18 17:23     ` David Sanchez Herrero
From: David Sanchez Herrero @ 2012-09-18 17:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Well, confirmed. zImage file format is supported.

Thanks!!