* How to integrate kernel-module in yocto-dunfell? #yocto #dunfell #apt #tx2 #kernel
@ 2020-09-02 11:13 kilian.brandt
From: kilian.brandt @ 2020-09-02 11:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

Hey community,

I'm trying to use this library [can-isotp][1] on a Jetson TX2 Board. The version of the running OS is: 0.0.8 (dunfell).

From the docs of the library I get the following instructions:

```
DOWNLOAD and BUILD

1. Download repository and enter the repositories root directory

     git clone https://github.com/hartkopp/can-isotp.git

     cd can-isotp

2. Build ISO-TP kernel module

  Ensure build dependencies are installed. E.g. for Debian (or Ubuntu):

     sudo apt-get install build-essential linux-headers-$(uname -r)

  To build:

     (you need to be in the repositories root path)

     make

  To install (optional):

     sudo make modules_install

3. When the PF_CAN core module is loaded ('modprobe can') the ISO-TP module
  can be loaded into the kernel with

      insmod ./net/can/can-isotp.ko

  When the can-isotp.ko module has been installed into the Linux Kernels
  modules directory (e.g. with 'make modules_install') the module should
  load automatically when opening a CAN_ISOTP socket.
```

I have some questions about that procedure. Can anybody give me an hint on how to install this module? Do I have to create a completly new yocto image or is there any way to install kernel modules afterwards? I tried to copy the folder onto the TX2 and install it by hand, but (as to be expected) the make command is not found.

I would really appreciate any help ! Best regards,

[1]: https://github.com/hartkopp/can-isotp

* Re: [yocto] How to integrate kernel-module in yocto-dunfell? #yocto #dunfell #apt #tx2 #kernel
@ 2020-09-02 11:32 ` Marek Belisko
From: Marek Belisko @ 2020-09-02 11:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kilian.brandt; +Cc: yocto

On Wed, Sep 2, 2020 at 1:13 PM <kilian.brandt@tu-dresden.de> wrote:

> Hey community,
>
> I'm trying to use this library [can-isotp][1] on a Jetson TX2 Board. The version of the running OS is: 0.0.8 (dunfell).
>
> From the docs of the library I get the following instructions:
>
> ```
>
> DOWNLOAD and BUILD
>
> 1. Download repository and enter the repositories root directory
>
>       git clone https://github.com/hartkopp/can-isotp.git
>
>       cd can-isotp
>
> 2. Build ISO-TP kernel module
>
>    Ensure build dependencies are installed. E.g. for Debian (or Ubuntu):
>
>       sudo apt-get install build-essential linux-headers-$(uname -r)
>
>    To build:
>
>       (you need to be in the repositories root path)
>
>       make
>
>    To install (optional):
>
>       sudo make modules_install
>

> 3. When the PF_CAN core module is loaded ('modprobe can') the ISO-TP module
>    can be loaded into the kernel with
>
>        insmod ./net/can/can-isotp.ko
>
>    When the can-isotp.ko module has been installed into the Linux Kernels
>    modules directory (e.g. with 'make modules_install') the module should
>    load automatically when opening a CAN_ISOTP socket.
>
> ```
>
> I have some questions about that procedure. Can anybody give me an hint on how to install this module? Do I have to create a completly new yocto image or is there any way to install kernel modules afterwards? I tried to copy the folder onto the TX2 and install it by hand, but (as to be expected) the make command is not found.
PLease take a look at :
https://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/2.6/kernel-dev/kernel-dev.html#working-with-out-of-tree-modules
where it is described how to compile out of tree modules.

> I would really appreciate any help ! Best regards,
>

>   [1]: https://github.com/hartkopp/can-isotp

marek

* Re: [yocto] How to integrate kernel-module in yocto-dunfell? #yocto #dunfell #apt #tx2 #kernel
@ 2020-09-02 17:32   ` Khem Raj
From: Khem Raj @ 2020-09-02 17:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marek Belisko; +Cc: kilian.brandt, yocto

On Wed, Sep 2, 2020 at 4:32 AM Marek Belisko <marek.belisko@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 2, 2020 at 1:13 PM <kilian.brandt@tu-dresden.de> wrote:
> >
> > Hey community,
> >
> > I'm trying to use this library [can-isotp][1] on a Jetson TX2 Board. The version of the running OS is: 0.0.8 (dunfell).
> >
> > From the docs of the library I get the following instructions:
> >
> > ```
> >
> > DOWNLOAD and BUILD
> >
> > 1. Download repository and enter the repositories root directory
> >
> >       git clone https://github.com/hartkopp/can-isotp.git
> >
> >       cd can-isotp
> >
> > 2. Build ISO-TP kernel module
> >
> >    Ensure build dependencies are installed. E.g. for Debian (or Ubuntu):
> >
> >       sudo apt-get install build-essential linux-headers-$(uname -r)
> >
> >    To build:
> >
> >       (you need to be in the repositories root path)
> >
> >       make
> >
> >    To install (optional):
> >
> >       sudo make modules_install
> >

> > 3. When the PF_CAN core module is loaded ('modprobe can') the ISO-TP module
> >    can be loaded into the kernel with
> >
> >        insmod ./net/can/can-isotp.ko
> >
> >    When the can-isotp.ko module has been installed into the Linux Kernels
> >    modules directory (e.g. with 'make modules_install') the module should
> >    load automatically when opening a CAN_ISOTP socket.
> >
> > ```
> >
> > I have some questions about that procedure. Can anybody give me an hint on how to install this module? Do I have to create a completly new yocto image or is there any way to install kernel modules afterwards? I tried to copy the folder onto the TX2 and install it by hand, but (as to be expected) the make command is not found.
> PLease take a look at :
> https://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/2.6/kernel-dev/kernel-dev.html#working-with-out-of-tree-modules
> where it is described how to compile out of tree modules.

in this case you might be lucky we already have recipe
http://cgit.openembedded.org/meta-openembedded/tree/meta-oe/recipes-extended/socketcan/can-isotp_git.bb?h=master
its blacklisted because it needs work to fix build on 5.2+ kernel

> > I would really appreciate any help ! Best regards,
> >

> >   [1]: https://github.com/hartkopp/can-isotp
> >

> marek

* Re: How to integrate kernel-module in yocto-dunfell? #yocto #dunfell #apt #tx2 #kernel
@ 2020-09-03  6:56     ` kilian.brandt
From: kilian.brandt @ 2020-09-03  6:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

Hi Khem, thanks for your reply! Now I am a bit confused. Marek has send me another recipe:

> LICENSE = "GPLv2"
>

> LIC_FILES_CHKSUM = " file://COPYING;md5=72d977d697c3c05830fdff00a7448931 "
>

> SRCREV = "6003f9997587e6a563cebf1f246bcd0eb6deff3d"
>

> PV = "1.0+git${SRCPV}"
>

> SRC_URI = "git://github.com/hartkopp/can-isotp.git;protocol=https"
>

> S = "${WORKDIR}/git"
>

> inherit module
>

> EXTRA_OEMAKE += "KERNELDIR=${STAGING_KERNEL_DIR}"

Do you know if that is allready fixed for kernel 5,2+ ?

Best regards!

* Re: [yocto] How to integrate kernel-module in yocto-dunfell? #yocto #dunfell #apt #tx2 #kernel
@ 2020-09-03  7:22       ` Marek Belisko
From: Marek Belisko @ 2020-09-03  7:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kilian.brandt; +Cc: yocto

On Thu, Sep 3, 2020 at 8:56 AM <kilian.brandt@tu-dresden.de> wrote:

> Hi Khem, thanks for your reply! Now I am a bit confused. Marek has sent me another recipe:
Shared recipe should be the same as one from meta-oe :). So you can
include it in your image and it should be build then.

>  LICENSE = "GPLv2"
>
> LIC_FILES_CHKSUM = "file://COPYING;md5=72d977d697c3c05830fdff00a7448931"
>
> SRCREV = "6003f9997587e6a563cebf1f246bcd0eb6deff3d"
>
> PV = "1.0+git${SRCPV}"
>

> SRC_URI = "git://github.com/hartkopp/can-isotp.git;protocol=https"
>

> S = "${WORKDIR}/git"
>

> inherit module
>

> EXTRA_OEMAKE += "KERNELDIR=${STAGING_KERNEL_DIR}"
>

> Do you know if that is allready fixed for kernel 5,2+ ?
>
> Best regards!

BR,

marek

--