* Boot failure on Origen board using latest kernel
@ 2013-03-02  4:10 Sachin Kamat
       [not found] ` <CAGOxZ51EuXnncDf=N7yJ1HR3GgE29Q+oLu-UQGEU0STr1m05AA@mail.gmail.com>
From: Sachin Kamat @ 2013-03-02  4:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Padmavathi Venna
  Cc: Arnd Bergmann, Koul, Vinod, Kukjin Kim, LKML, linux-samsung-soc

Hi Padma,

While trying to boot the latest mainline kernel (Linus tree tip at
commit b0af9cd9) on Exynos4210 based Origen board, it stops at
"Uncompressing Linux... done, booting the kernel."

Git bisect pointed to the commit 421da89aa ("DMA: PL330: Register the
DMA controller with the generic DMA helpers").
Reverting this commit helped me boot the board again.
Could you please look into this?

--
With warm regards,
Sachin

* Re: Boot failure on Origen board using latest kernel
@ 2013-03-02  4:54 ` Sachin Kamat
       [not found] ` <CAGOxZ51EuXnncDf=N7yJ1HR3GgE29Q+oLu-UQGEU0STr1m05AA@mail.gmail.com>
From: Sachin Kamat @ 2013-03-02  4:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Padmavathi Venna
  Cc: Arnd Bergmann, Koul, Vinod, Kukjin Kim, LKML, linux-samsung-soc

Hi Padma,

Here is the short boot log with earlyprintk enabled. This is in the non-dt case.

EXYNOS4210 PMU Initialize
EXYNOS: Initializing architecture
s3c24xx-pwm s3c24xx-pwm.0: tin at 50000000, tdiv at 50000000, tin=divclk, base 0
bio: create slab <bio-0> at 0
SCSI subsystem initialized
Switching to clocksource mct-frc
ROMFS MTD (C) 2007 Red Hat, Inc.
io scheduler noop registered
io scheduler deadline registered
io scheduler cfq registered (default)
dma-pl330 dma-pl330.0: Loaded driver for PL330 DMAC-267056
dma-pl330 dma-pl330.0:  DBUFF-32x4bytes Num_Chans-8 Num_Peri-32 Num_Events-32
of_dma_controller_register: not enough information provided
dma-pl330 dma-pl330.0: unable to register DMA to the generic DT DMA helpers
dma-pl330: probe of dma-pl330.0 failed with error -22

--

@ 2013-03-02  4:56   ` Sachin Kamat
From: Sachin Kamat @ 2013-03-02  4:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alim Akhtar
  Cc: Padmavathi Venna, Arnd Bergmann, Koul, Vinod, Kukjin Kim, LKML,
	linux-samsung-soc

Hi Alim,

On 2 March 2013 10:18, Alim Akhtar <alim.akhtar@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Sachin,
>
> Looks like exynos4 is not yet moved to the generic dma binding recently
> merged.
>
> Could you try out below:

I forgot to mention in the previous mail that the problem was in non-dt case.
With the below entries added in exynos4 dtsi file, it boots fine in DT case.

--

@ 2013-03-02  5:36     ` Alim Akhtar
From: Alim Akhtar @ 2013-03-02  5:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sachin Kamat
  Cc: Padmavathi Venna, Arnd Bergmann, Koul, Vinod, Kukjin Kim, LKML,
	linux-samsung-soc

On Sat, Mar 2, 2013 at 10:26 AM, Sachin Kamat <sachin.kamat@linaro.org> wrote:
> Hi Alim,
>
> On 2 March 2013 10:18, Alim Akhtar <alim.akhtar@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi Sachin,
>>
>> Looks like exynos4 is not yet moved to the generic dma binding recently
>> merged.
>>
>> Could you try out below:
>
> I forgot to mention in the previous mail that the problem was in non-dt case.
> With the below entries added in exynos4 dtsi file, it boots fine in DT case.

Aha, I understand.
But I think the current mainline kernel is broken for __DT case__ also
for exynos4 and that is what my suggested patch fix.
Thanks for you confirmation.

> --
> With warm regards,
> Sachin

Alim

* Re: Boot failure on Origen board using latest kernel
@ 2013-03-02  5:48     ` Padma Venkat
From: Padma Venkat @ 2013-03-02  5:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sachin Kamat
  Cc: Alim Akhtar, Padmavathi Venna, Arnd Bergmann, Koul, Vinod,
	Kukjin Kim, LKML, linux-samsung-soc

Hi,

On Sat, Mar 2, 2013 at 10:26 AM, Sachin Kamat <sachin.kamat@linaro.org> wrote:
> Hi Alim,
>
> On 2 March 2013 10:18, Alim Akhtar <alim.akhtar@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi Sachin,
>>
>> Looks like exynos4 is not yet moved to the generic dma binding recently
>> merged.
>>
>> Could you try out below:
>
> I forgot to mention in the previous mail that the problem was in non-dt case.
> With the below entries added in exynos4 dtsi file, it boots fine in DT case.

For non-dt case I tested on 6410 board where it is using different DMA
controller. I will a send patch to fix this.

Thanks
Padma