* KVM Guest
@ 2021-02-03 12:34 Thomas Bogendoerfer
From: Thomas Bogendoerfer @ 2021-02-03 12:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-mips

Hi,

Does kvm guest kernel still work ? I'm playing with current mips-next
and starting a kvm guest kernel inside an emulated malta system also
running a mips-next kernel. The kvm guest kernel starts, but hangs
in calibrate_delay (at least that's what info registers in qemu monitor
suggests). Ayn ideas ?

Thomas.

--
Crap can work. Given enough thrust pigs will fly, but it's not necessarily a
good idea.                                                [ RFC1925, 2.3 ]

* Re: KVM Guest
@ 2021-02-03 12:52 ` Jiaxun Yang
From: Jiaxun Yang @ 2021-02-03 12:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Bogendoerfer, linux-mips

On Wed, Feb 3, 2021, at 8:34 PM, Thomas Bogendoerfer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Does kvm guest kernel still work ? I'm playing with current mips-next
> and starting a kvm guest kernel inside an emulated malta system also
> running a mips-next kernel. The kvm guest kernel starts, but hangs
> in calibrate_delay (at least that's what info registers in qemu monitor
> suggests). Ayn ideas ?

The current KVM guest kernel is actually a Trap-and-emul guest kernel.
VZ based KVM uses the same binary with the host one, so does TCG.

TE KVM is current unmaintained. I'll try to get a malta and do some test.

Thanks.

- Jiaxun

--
- Jiaxun

* Re: KVM Guest
@ 2021-02-07 19:39   ` Thomas Bogendoerfer
From: Thomas Bogendoerfer @ 2021-02-07 19:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jiaxun Yang; +Cc: linux-mips

On Wed, Feb 03, 2021 at 08:52:34PM +0800, Jiaxun Yang wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 3, 2021, at 8:34 PM, Thomas Bogendoerfer wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Does kvm guest kernel still work ? I'm playing with current mips-next
> > and starting a kvm guest kernel inside an emulated malta system also
> > running a mips-next kernel. The kvm guest kernel starts, but hangs
> > in calibrate_delay (at least that's what info registers in qemu monitor
> > suggests). Ayn ideas ?
>
> The current KVM guest kernel is actually a Trap-and-emul guest kernel.
> VZ based KVM uses the same binary with the host one, so does TCG.
>
> TE KVM is current unmaintained. I'll try to get a malta and do some test.

hmm, so it looks broken, is unmaintained, how about removing it ?

Thomas.

--

@ 2021-02-08 16:40       ` Jiaxun Yang
From: Jiaxun Yang @ 2021-02-08 16:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Bogendoerfer
  Cc: linux-mips@vger.kernel.org,,
	Huacai Chen, qemu-devel, Philippe Mathieu-Daudé

On Mon, Feb 8, 2021, at 3:39 AM, Thomas Bogendoerfer wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 03, 2021 at 08:52:34PM +0800, Jiaxun Yang wrote:
> >

> > On Wed, Feb 3, 2021, at 8:34 PM, Thomas Bogendoerfer wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Does kvm guest kernel still work ? I'm playing with current mips-next
> > > and starting a kvm guest kernel inside an emulated malta system also
> > > running a mips-next kernel. The kvm guest kernel starts, but hangs
> > > in calibrate_delay (at least that's what info registers in qemu monitor
> > > suggests). Ayn ideas ?
> >
> > The current KVM guest kernel is actually a Trap-and-emul guest kernel.
> > VZ based KVM uses the same binary with the host one, so does TCG.
> >
> > TE KVM is current unmaintained. I'll try to get a malta and do some test.
>
> hmm, so it looks broken, is unmaintained, how about removing it ?

Probably. I got remote access of a CoreLV malta but no luck to boot kernel as well.

+ Huacai as KVM/MIPS Maintainer.
+ Philippe as QEMU/MIPS Maintainer.
+ qemu-devel for wider audience.

If nobody intended to maintain it probably it's time to remove it.

--
- Jiaxun

* Re: KVM Guest
@ 2021-02-08 16:40       ` Jiaxun Yang
From: Jiaxun Yang @ 2021-02-08 16:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Thomas Bogendoerfer
  Cc: Philippe Mathieu-Daudé,
	Huacai Chen, linux-mips@vger.kernel.org, ,
	qemu-devel

--
- Jiaxun

* Re: KVM Guest
@ 2021-02-09  1:32         ` Huacai Chen
From: Huacai Chen @ 2021-02-09  1:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jiaxun Yang
  Cc: Thomas Bogendoerfer, linux-mips@vger.kernel.org,,
	QEMU Developers, Philippe Mathieu-Daudé

I think it can be removed.

Huacai

On Tue, Feb 9, 2021 at 12:40 AM Jiaxun Yang <jiaxun.yang@flygoat.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 8, 2021, at 3:39 AM, Thomas Bogendoerfer wrote:

> > > The current KVM guest kernel is actually a Trap-and-emul guest kernel.
> > > VZ based KVM uses the same binary with the host one, so does TCG.
> > >
> > > TE KVM is current unmaintained. I'll try to get a malta and do some test.
> >
> > hmm, so it looks broken, is unmaintained, how about removing it ?
>
> Probably. I got remote access of a CoreLV malta but no luck to boot kernel as well.
>
> + Huacai as KVM/MIPS Maintainer.
> + Philippe as QEMU/MIPS Maintainer.
> + qemu-devel for wider audience.
>
> If nobody intended to maintain it probably it's time to remove it.
>

> > Thomas.
> >
> > --
> > Crap can work. Given enough thrust pigs will fly, but it's not necessarily a
> > good idea.                                                [ RFC1925, 2.3 ]
> >

> --
> - Jiaxun

* Re: KVM Guest
@ 2021-02-09  1:32         ` Huacai Chen
From: Huacai Chen @ 2021-02-09  1:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jiaxun Yang
  Cc: Philippe Mathieu-Daudé,
	Thomas Bogendoerfer, linux-mips@vger.kernel.org, ,
	QEMU Developers

I think it can be removed.

Huacai

On Tue, Feb 9, 2021 at 12:40 AM Jiaxun Yang <jiaxun.yang@flygoat.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 8, 2021, at 3:39 AM, Thomas Bogendoerfer wrote:

> > > The current KVM guest kernel is actually a Trap-and-emul guest kernel.
> > > VZ based KVM uses the same binary with the host one, so does TCG.
> > >
> > > TE KVM is current unmaintained. I'll try to get a malta and do some test.
> >
> > hmm, so it looks broken, is unmaintained, how about removing it ?
>
> Probably. I got remote access of a CoreLV malta but no luck to boot kernel as well.
>
> + Huacai as KVM/MIPS Maintainer.
> + Philippe as QEMU/MIPS Maintainer.
> + qemu-devel for wider audience.
>
> If nobody intended to maintain it probably it's time to remove it.
>

> > Thomas.
> >
> > --
> > Crap can work. Given enough thrust pigs will fly, but it's not necessarily a
> > good idea.                                                [ RFC1925, 2.3 ]
> >

> --
> - Jiaxun

* Re: KVM Guest
@ 2021-02-21 19:24           ` Philippe Mathieu-Daudé
From: Philippe Mathieu-Daudé @ 2021-02-21 19:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Huacai Chen, Jiaxun Yang
  Cc: Thomas Bogendoerfer, linux-mips, linux-mips, QEMU Developers

Hi Thomas,

On 2/9/21 2:32 AM, Huacai Chen wrote:
> I think it can be removed.
>
> Huacai
>
> On Tue, Feb 9, 2021 at 12:40 AM Jiaxun Yang <jiaxun.yang@flygoat.com> wrote:

>>> hmm, so it looks broken, is unmaintained, how about removing it ?
>>
>> Probably. I got remote access of a CoreLV malta but no luck to boot kernel as well.
>>
>> + Huacai as KVM/MIPS Maintainer.
>> + Philippe as QEMU/MIPS Maintainer.
>> + qemu-devel for wider audience.
>>
>> If nobody intended to maintain it probably it's time to remove it.

For QEMU the situation is:

commit 1fa639e5618029e944ac68d27e32a99dcb85a349
Author: James Hogan <jhogan@kernel.org>
Date:   Sat Dec 21 15:53:06 2019 +0000

    MAINTAINERS: Orphan MIPS KVM CPUs

    I haven't been active for 18 months, and don't have the hardware
    set up to test KVM for MIPS, so mark it as orphaned and remove
    myself as maintainer. Hopefully somebody from MIPS can pick this
    up.

commit 15d983dee95edff1dc4c0bed71ce02fff877e766
Author: Aleksandar Markovic <aleksandar.qemu.devel@gmail.com>
Date:   Wed Jul 1 20:25:58 2020 +0200

    MAINTAINERS: Adjust MIPS maintainership (add Huacai & Jiaxun)

    Huacai Chen and Jiaxun Yang step in as new energy.

commit ca263c0fb9f33cc746e6e3d968b7db80072ecf86
Author: Aleksandar Markovic <aleksandar.qemu.devel@gmail.com>
Date:   Wed Oct 7 22:37:21 2020 +0200

    MAINTAINERS: Remove myself

    I have been working on project other than QEMU for some time,
    and would like to devote myself to that project. It is impossible
    for me to find enough time to perform maintainer's duties with
    needed meticulousness and patience.

I don't have local hardware to test KVM. We have plan to add VZ testing
on Loongson hardware. For the rest I'll defer on Huacai and Jiaxun,
as long as it is useful to them, it is not a big burden for QEMU.

(IOW +1 for TE removal.)

Regards,

Phil.

From: Philippe Mathieu-Daudé @ 2021-02-21 19:24 UTC (permalink / raw)