* non-x86 ?  Re: Would DPDK run on AMD processors
@ 2014-07-03 13:35 Derek Wasely
       [not found] ` <1404394550.74808.YahooMailNeo-AQEGBMc1WNAMe+d1jY/0H5EhsgyP+Z75VpNB7YpNyf8@public.gmane.org>
From: Derek Wasely @ 2014-07-03 13:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dev-VfR2kkLFssw

how about running DPDK on other processors ?   Any licensing restriction on using it on non-x86 arch ?  Does it work automatically on say  PPC or OCTEON ?

Derek

Has anybody attempted to run DPDK on AMD processors.
Does it run straightforward or would there be some obvious issues where
porting would be needed, I welcome any comments.

Regards
-Prashant

* Re: non-x86 ?  Re: Would DPDK run on AMD processors
       [not found] ` <1404394550.74808.YahooMailNeo-AQEGBMc1WNAMe+d1jY/0H5EhsgyP+Z75VpNB7YpNyf8@public.gmane.org>
@ 2014-07-04 11:25   ` Yerden Zhumabekov
       [not found]     ` <53B68F42.4040608-8EHiFRVJVgQ@public.gmane.org>
From: Yerden Zhumabekov @ 2014-07-04 11:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Derek Wasely, dev-VfR2kkLFssw

Intel DPDK is intentionally being developed to bring support of packet
processing
to Intel processors. In order to provide high performance in packet
processing,
developing Intel DPDK requires rather good optimization, like extensive
use of
SSE intrinsics etc. Hence it demands x86 arch.

Since Intel DPDK is opensource, there is no license restriction to run
it on any arch,
but I guess one will face rather intriguing technical issues doing that :)

--
Sincerely,

Yerden Zhumabekov
STS, ACI
Astana, KZ

@ 2014-07-07 20:06       ` Irfan Zia
From: Irfan Zia @ 2014-07-07 20:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yerden Zhumabekov, Derek Wasely, dev-VfR2kkLFssw; +Cc: Irfan A -VPE

hi Derek,
   we completed a  DPDK  port onto the Tilera's TILE-GX architecture
'Natively' for a customer. Specifically it was on the Gx-36 (36 Tiles) PCIe
card.   Their  team is able to directly take their Host DPDK apps  (NFV
modules and tunnels generators)  and reuse them on the TileNcore-36 PCIe
card 'as-is',   Allowing them to build their system with much economical
and lower power host CPU (Atom 330).

   we are currently completing similar port for Cavium's OCTEON -II.

   And Yergen is right,  we had to resolve many intriguing technical issues
;-)

-irfan
VP Eng
Paxym Inc.