* Software Port
@ 2021-12-18 21:12 rashmi pisal
From: rashmi pisal @ 2021-12-18 21:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

Hi Team,

I am working on a project facing a supply chain issue and need to move away from the rasperrypi3 module.

We are planning to use an IMX8 processor and wondering if I can modify the existing embedded Linux distribution created using YoctoProject to accommodate the new hardware changes, or I will have to make the latest image from scratch?

Right now, I am entirely lost, so any help is greatly appreciated.

* Re: [yocto] Software Port Rpi3 -> iMX8
@ 2021-12-19  2:04 ` Randy MacLeod
From: Randy MacLeod @ 2021-12-19  2:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rashmipisal, yocto

On 2021-12-18 4:12 p.m., rashmi pisal via lists.yoctoproject.org wrote:
> Hi Team,

Hi,

Welcome to the Yocto community.

> I am working on a project facing a supply chain issue and need to move
> away from the rasperrypi3 module.
>
> We are planning to use an IMX8 processor and wondering if I can modify
> the existing embedded Linux distribution created using YoctoProject to
> accommodate the new hardware changes, or I will have to make the latest
> image from scratch?
>
> Right now, I am entirely lost, so any help is greatly appreciated.

It's hard to say without more information.
Can you tell us what layers and versions from the Yocto Project you are
using?
Can you share or describe the local changes that you have made?

Certainly many layers are largely independent of the BSP so unless someone
in your organization has broken the levels of abstraction in many places,
it may not be so much work to migrate to an iMX8 board.

../Randy

> Thanks,

# Randy MacLeod
# Wind River Linux

* Re: [yocto] Software Port
@ 2021-12-20  9:44 ` Ross Burton
From: Ross Burton @ 2021-12-20  9:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rashmipisal; +Cc: yocto

On Sat, 18 Dec 2021 at 21:12, rashmi pisal via lists.yoctoproject.org
<rashmipisal=yahoo.com@lists.yoctoproject.org> wrote:
> We are planning to use an IMX8 processor and wondering if I can modify the existing embedded Linux distribution created using YoctoProject to accommodate the new hardware changes, or I will have to make the latest image from scratch?

It depends on how much RPi-specific software is being used, but
changing MACHINE from raspberrypi3 to the relevant BSP for your IMX8
board would be a start.  It's entirely possibly that is all you need
to change.

Ross