* #apt #linux #yocto #raspberrypi., apt, gcc, sudo not present
@ 2020-05-27 10:06 Siddhartha V
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Siddhartha V @ 2020-05-27 10:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

Hello,

I built the image for Raspberrypi3B+ board. But when boot the board gcc, apt, sudo were not there. Actually only the poweron and poweroff and few basic commnds like, ls, mkdir, whoami were working. May I konw what wrong I did while building please.

I am using yocto warrior. I used *" bitbake core-image- base "* command for building.

*My bblayers.conf is as below:*

# POKY_BBLAYERS_CONF_VERSION is increased each time build/conf/bblayers.conf
# changes incompatibly
POKY_BBLAYERS_CONF_VERSION = "2"

BBPATH = "${TOPDIR}"
BBFILES ?= ""

BBLAYERS ?= " \
/home/siddhu/Documents/yocto/sources/poky/meta \
/home/siddhu/Documents/yocto/sources/poky/meta-poky \
/home/siddhu/Documents/yocto/sources/poky/meta-yocto-bsp \
/home/siddhu/Documents/yocto/sources/meta-openembedded/meta-oe \
/home/siddhu/Documents/yocto/sources/meta-openembedded/meta-multimedia \
/home/siddhu/Documents/yocto/sources/meta-openembedded/meta-python \
/home/siddhu/Documents/yocto/sources/meta-openembedded/meta-networking \
/home/siddhu/Documents/yocto/sources/meta-openembedded/meta-filesystems \
/home/siddhu/Documents/yocto/sources/meta-raspberrypi \
"

*My local.conf file I have added the below details:*

MACHINE ??= "raspberrypi3"
PACKAGE_CLASSES ?= "package_rpm"
CONF_VERSION = "1"
IMAGE_FEATURES += "ssh-server-dropbear"

* Re: #apt #linux #yocto #raspberrypi., apt, gcc, sudo not present
@ 2020-05-28  6:02 ` Mark Van De Vyver
From: Mark Van De Vyver @ 2020-05-28  6:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

Hi Siddhartha,
Caveat: This is generally what I've done, and not specific to any rpi or rhel setup....

If you run `bitbake -e core-image-base | grep "^IMAGE_FEATURES" you'll be able to see what was configured.
You can also filter *_FEATURES to get a better idea of what went on in terms of machine and compatible features.

Next, with that data in mind you can read the ./<build-folder>/bitbake- cookerdaemon.log
When reading this you will see various files are loaded - opening each of them in turn you might see some code that turns off what you expected to have installed.
Or you might notice that the packages you expected to be installed were never put forward for installation.

Not sure if that helps.  I've run into some wrinkles where a package wasn't available, and became so only after adding a 'seemingly' (to me that is) unrelated layer - but in those cases I got a warning the package could not be found.  Sounds like that **is not** happening here.  Sorry I can't be of better assistance.

HTH?

* Re: [yocto] #apt #linux #yocto #raspberrypi., apt, gcc, sudo not present
@ 2020-05-28  8:07 ` Josef Holzmayr
From: Josef Holzmayr @ 2020-05-28  8:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

Howdy!

Am 27.05.2020 um 12:06 schrieb Siddhartha V:
> Hello,
>
>    I built the image for Raspberrypi3B+ board. But when boot the board
> gcc, apt, sudo were not there. Actually only the poweron and poweroff
> and few basic commnds like, ls, mkdir, whoami were working. May I konw
> what wrong I did while building please.

This sounds like you actually want an ubuntu. Why not just use it, then?
Beating a yocto build into shape will always just leave you wanting and
complaining, unless you are willing to get rid of your assumptions.

Hint:
The frist things you have to get out of your head are expecting apt,
sudo and gcc on the board.

Reasoning:
- no apt, because the images are usually constructed at build time
including all expected software. Runtime package management is actually
rarely needed.
- no sudo, because you can just log in as whatever user you want to. And
in the product case it has no use because usually people do not login,
hence no need for its security means.
- no gcc, because all compilation is meant to happen at image building
time, or at least on the development host.

Of course this is only a very generic, top-level explanation and use
cases diffee. But If the mindset does not fit right from the beginning,
then there only lies trouble ahead.

Greetz

R-S-I Elektrotechnik GmbH & Co. KG
Woelkestrasse 11
D-85301 Schweitenkirchen
Fon: +49 8444 9204-0
Fax: +49 8444 9204-50
www.rsi-elektrotechnik.de

Amtsgericht Ingolstadt - GmbH: HRB 191328 - KG: HRA 170363
Geschäftsführer: Dr.-Ing. Michael Sorg, Dipl.-Ing. Franz Sorg
USt-IdNr.: DE 128592548

* Re: [yocto] #apt #linux #yocto #raspberrypi., apt, gcc, sudo not present
@ 2020-05-28  8:42 ` Ross Burton
From: Ross Burton @ 2020-05-28  8:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Siddhartha V; +Cc: yocto