* Xenomai install question (get error running test apps)
@ 2019-08-12  1:39 Shabaz Yousaf
From: Shabaz Yousaf @ 2019-08-12  1:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xenomai

Hello,

Apologies in advance, this is probably really basic since I'm a beginner, but I'm stumped and have searched for an answer.

In a nutshell, I installed a pre-built Xenomai kernel, and then tried to install the remainder of it and run a sample app, but I get an error:
BUG in __xenomai_init(): [main] running non-SMP libraries on SMP kernel?

Here's the detail:
I've installed the pre-built Xenomi kernel on a BeagleBone Black using some script it already has, and uname -a looks good:
Linux beaglebone 4.14.108-ti-xenomai-r114 #1 SMP PREEMPT Sun Aug 4 08:52:45 UTC 2019 armv7l GNU/Linux

Next, to get the remainder Xenomi stuff, I did the following (I presumed it was Xenomi 3.0.9, but I wasn't sure, I did search in the github beagleboard/linux commits here:
https://github.com/beagleboard/linux/tree/4.14-xenomai  but unfortunately couldn't see where it was specified. There was a version.h file here:
https://github.com/beagleboard/linux/blob/4.14-xenomai/include/xenomai/version.h   but it only had text like XENO_VERSION_STRING with no number)

wget https://xenomai.org/downloads/xenomai/stable/latest/xenomai-3.0.9.tar.bz2

bunzip2 xenomai-3.0.9.tar.bz2

tar xvf xenomai-3.0.9.tar

cd xenomai-3.0.9

./configure CFLAGS="-march=armv7-a -mfpu=vfp3" LDFLAGS="-march=armv7-a -mfpu=vfp3"

make

make install

When I try to run any of the sample/test applications (such as /usr/xenomai/bin/xeno-test), I get an error:
BUG in __xenomai_init(): [main] running non-SMP libraries on SMP kernel?

I think I'm probably doing something silly, and have googled around, but need a pointer to where I may have messed up.
Many thanks,

Shabaz.

* Re: Xenomai install question (get error running test apps)
@ 2019-08-12  7:52 ` Tormod Volden
From: Tormod Volden @ 2019-08-12  7:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xenomai

On Mon, Aug 12, 2019 at 3:40 AM Shabaz Yousaf wrote:

> In a nutshell, I installed a pre-built Xenomai kernel, and then tried to install the remainder of it and run a sample app, but I get an error:
> BUG in __xenomai_init(): [main] running non-SMP libraries on SMP kernel?

I believe you'll need to configure your xenomai libraries for SMP. It
defaults to --enable-smp=yes only on x86/cobalt, otherwise to
--enable-smp=no

> I've installed the pre-built Xenomi kernel on a BeagleBone Black using some script it already has, and uname -a looks good:
> Linux beaglebone 4.14.108-ti-xenomai-r114 #1 SMP PREEMPT Sun Aug 4 08:52:45 UTC 2019 armv7l GNU/Linux

Note the "SMP" in the kernel signature above.

> cd xenomai-3.0.9
>
> ./configure CFLAGS="-march=armv7-a -mfpu=vfp3" LDFLAGS="-march=armv7-a -mfpu=vfp3"

https://gitlab.denx.de/Xenomai/xenomai/wikis/Troubleshooting#user-content-feature-mismatch-missingsmpnosmp

Regards,
Tormod

* Re: Xenomai install question (get error running test apps)
@ 2019-08-12 20:22   ` Shabaz Yousaf
From: Shabaz Yousaf @ 2019-08-12 20:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: xenomai

Hi Tormod,

Thanks! I'll try that now and report back.
It did look suspicious to me too, but two BeagleBone websites had the ./configure flags set the way I tried, but I believe it's very likely the websites are outdated
(this is a common problem with BeagleBone Black info, there is a lot of outdated or incorrect information on websites : (
I'll write it up once I get it running.

Thanks again for your help.

Shabaz.