* Procedure for adding driver in Yocto
@ 2017-10-11  5:40 Umamahesh Yelchuruvenkata
From: Umamahesh Yelchuruvenkata @ 2017-10-11  5:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

Hi

I am looking for a procedure how to add an new driver in Yocto Kernel. I tried adding an sample char driver by updating Kconfig and makefile of respective directory and by default marked as built in by default.

But I do not see the driver is coming up while kernel is booted.

Please suggest the procedure.

Thanks
Umamahesh

::DISCLAIMER::

* Re: Procedure for adding driver in Yocto
@ 2017-10-11  7:24 ` Vincent Prince
From: Vincent Prince @ 2017-10-11  7:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Umamahesh Yelchuruvenkata; +Cc: yocto

Hi,

If you want to create a kernel module, you can use that kind of recipe

meta-x-bsp/recipes-kernel/kernel-module/kernel-module-modulename.bb:

SUMMARY = "Kernel loadable module"
DESCRIPTION = "This package includes loadable module"
LICENSE = "GPLv2"
LIC_FILES_CHKSUM = "file://COPYING;md5=a04ba2d94725e7270af091f1f1cb6580"

PV .= "+git${SRCPV}"

SRCREV = "e26baba25fa792730d09c6e5334814b3037e7bc7"
SRC_URI = "git://url/modulename.git"

S = "${WORKDIR}/git"

inherit module

KERNEL_MODULE_AUTOLOAD = "modulename"

If it ok for you ?
Best Regards,
Vincent

@ 2017-10-15 14:13   ` Umamahesh Yelchuruvenkata
From: Umamahesh Yelchuruvenkata @ 2017-10-15 14:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vincent Prince; +Cc: yocto

Hi

I am using wandboard, .bb file in the following path

/yoctoimx-fsl-bsp/sources/meta-freescale-3rdparty/recipes-kernel/kernel-modules

Contains kernel-module-mcc_2.1.01.bb

But how do I edit it to add a new driver.

Please suggest.

Thanks
Umamahesh

@ 2017-10-16  7:40     ` Vincent Prince
From: Vincent Prince @ 2017-10-16  7:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Umamahesh Yelchuruvenkata; +Cc: yocto

Hi,

You have to create your own layer, then create a recipe to add your driver.

I'd suggest you to read
http://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/latest/mega-manual/mega-manual.html#managing-layers
http://www.yoctoproject.org/docs/latest/mega-manual/mega-manual.html#incorporating-out-of-tree-modules

Good luck,