* Unknown symbols in module
@ 2018-03-05 11:17 Srishti Sharma
From: Srishti Sharma @ 2018-03-05 11:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,
I was trying to work with the iio dummy driver, and when I try to load
the iio_dummy_evgen.ko module I am getting unknown symbols found in
module error on running modprobe.

These variables are unknown
iio_bus_type
irq_sim_init
irq_sim_fini
irq_sim_fire
irq_sim_fini

All of these variables are present in the Module.symvers file in the
/lib/modules/<kernel version>/build directory. The kernel and the
modules versions match. I ran make clean, make, and make
modules_install before trying to load them. I am unable to figure out
the problem. Where I might be going wrong any ideas ?

Thanks,
Srishti

* Re: Unknown symbols in module (iio)
@ 2018-03-17 20:42 ` Randy Dunlap
From: Randy Dunlap @ 2018-03-17 20:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

[adding linux-iio mailing list]

Hi,

It's always a good idea to include the kernel version in a problem report.

On 03/05/2018 03:17 AM, Srishti Sharma wrote:
> Hello,
> I was trying to work with the iio dummy driver, and when I try to load
> the iio_dummy_evgen.ko module I am getting unknown symbols found in
> module error on running modprobe.
>
> These variables are unknown
> iio_bus_type		>>> in industrialio-core
> irq_sim_init		>>> in iio_dummy_evgen
> irq_sim_fini		>>> same
> irq_sim_fire		>>> same
> irq_sim_fini		>>> [duplicate]

I tested this using Linux 4.16-rc5.  As long as I manually load all
modules in the needed order, they will all load with no symbol problems.

> All of these variables are present in the Module.symvers file in the
> /lib/modules/<kernel version>/build directory. The kernel and the
> modules versions match. I ran make clean, make, and make
> modules_install before trying to load them. I am unable to figure out
> the problem. Where I might be going wrong any ideas ?

Were you expecting some module autoloading based on their internal
dependencies?  If so, maybe someone on the linux-iio mailing list
could comment on that.

--
~Randy

* Re: Unknown symbols in module (iio)
@ 2018-03-18 11:04   ` Jonathan Cameron
From: Jonathan Cameron @ 2018-03-18 11:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sat, 17 Mar 2018 13:42:24 -0700
Randy Dunlap <rdunlap@infradead.org> wrote:

> [adding linux-iio mailing list]
>
> Hi,
>
> It's always a good idea to include the kernel version in a problem report.
>

> On 03/05/2018 03:17 AM, Srishti Sharma wrote:
> > Hello,
> > I was trying to work with the iio dummy driver, and when I try to load
> > the iio_dummy_evgen.ko module I am getting unknown symbols found in
> > module error on running modprobe.
> >
> > These variables are unknown
> > iio_bus_type		>>> in industrialio-core
> > irq_sim_init		>>> in iio_dummy_evgen
> > irq_sim_fini		>>> same
> > irq_sim_fire		>>> same
> > irq_sim_fini		>>> [duplicate]
>
> I tested this using Linux 4.16-rc5.  As long as I manually load all
> modules in the needed order, they will all load with no symbol problems.
>

> > All of these variables are present in the Module.symvers file in the
> > /lib/modules/<kernel version>/build directory. The kernel and the
> > modules versions match. I ran make clean, make, and make
> > modules_install before trying to load them. I am unable to figure out
> > the problem. Where I might be going wrong any ideas ?
>
> Were you expecting some module autoloading based on their internal
> dependencies?  If so, maybe someone on the linux-iio mailing list
> could comment on that.

Hi Randy,

Thanks for following up on this. Looks like Srishti followed this
with an email to the linux-iio list.  I sent a quick reply but haven't
heard back yet.

https://marc.info/?l=linux-iio&m=152024876720954&w=2

Superficially I was guessing that Srishti had missed the fact that irqsim
is built into the kernel rather than as a module, so a reboot would have
been required as well.

Srishti, if you do try a message on multiple lists, please do it by
replying to the original thread and cc'ing the new one.  That way we save
time by avoiding duplication of efforts on different lists.
(at least I am assuming you sent it to one list then the other?)

Thanks,

Jonathan

* Re: Unknown symbols in module (iio)
@ 2018-03-18 12:00     ` Srishti Sharma
From: Srishti Sharma @ 2018-03-18 12:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Sun, Mar 18, 2018 at 4:34 PM, Jonathan Cameron
<jic23@jic23.retrosnub.co.uk> wrote:
> On Sat, 17 Mar 2018 13:42:24 -0700
> Randy Dunlap <rdunlap@infradead.org> wrote:
>
>> [adding linux-iio mailing list]
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> It's always a good idea to include the kernel version in a problem report.
>>

>> On 03/05/2018 03:17 AM, Srishti Sharma wrote:
>> > Hello,
>> > I was trying to work with the iio dummy driver, and when I try to load
>> > the iio_dummy_evgen.ko module I am getting unknown symbols found in
>> > module error on running modprobe.
>> >
>> > These variables are unknown
>> > iio_bus_type                >>> in industrialio-core
>> > irq_sim_init                >>> in iio_dummy_evgen
>> > irq_sim_fini                >>> same
>> > irq_sim_fire                >>> same
>> > irq_sim_fini                >>> [duplicate]
>>
>> I tested this using Linux 4.16-rc5.  As long as I manually load all
>> modules in the needed order, they will all load with no symbol problems.
>>

>> > All of these variables are present in the Module.symvers file in the
>> > /lib/modules/<kernel version>/build directory. The kernel and the
>> > modules versions match. I ran make clean, make, and make
>> > modules_install before trying to load them. I am unable to figure out
>> > the problem. Where I might be going wrong any ideas ?
>>
>> Were you expecting some module autoloading based on their internal
>> dependencies?  If so, maybe someone on the linux-iio mailing list
>> could comment on that.
>>

> Hi Randy,
>
> Thanks for following up on this. Looks like Srishti followed this
> with an email to the linux-iio list.  I sent a quick reply but haven't
> heard back yet.
>
> https://marc.info/?l=linux-iio&m=152024876720954&w=2
>
> Superficially I was guessing that Srishti had missed the fact that irqsim
> is built into the kernel rather than as a module, so a reboot would have
> been required as well.
>
> Srishti, if you do try a message on multiple lists, please do it by
> replying to the original thread and cc'ing the new one.  That way we save
> time by avoiding duplication of efforts on different lists.
> (at least I am assuming you sent it to one list then the other?)

Hey,
I am sorry for the late reply, the solution Jonathan had proposed i.e;
reinstalling the kernel after configuring it for loading the required
modules worked for me, Thank you so much.

Regards,
Srishti

@ 2018-03-07 20:25 ` Jonathan Cameron
From: Jonathan Cameron @ 2018-03-07 20:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Srishti Sharma; +Cc: linux-iio

On Mon, 5 Mar 2018 16:49:24 +0530
Srishti Sharma <srishtishar@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
> I was trying to work with the iio dummy driver, and when I try to load
> the iio_dummy_evgen.ko module I am getting unknown symbols found in
> module error on running modprobe.
>
> These variables are unknown
> iio_bus_type
> irq_sim_init
> irq_sim_fini
> irq_sim_fire
> irq_sim_fini
>
> All of these variables are present in the Module.symvers file in the
> /lib/modules/<kernel version>/build directory. The kernel and the
> modules versions match. I ran make clean, make, and make
> modules_install before trying to load them. I am unable to figure out
> the problem. Where I might be going wrong any ideas ?
The required functions are built into the kernel - there is no option
to build them as a module. As such you'd need to also install the
kernel image in order to be able to probe the module.

The selected to be built when the dummy_evgen module is configured
to be built.

Jonathan

> Thanks,
> Srishti