* Which repository to clone ?
@ 2017-02-01 22:09 srishti sharma
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: srishti sharma @ 2017-02-01 22:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Hey,
I am an absolute newbie , I tried to clone greg kroah-hartman's
staging tree repository , somehow I was not able to boot in the kernel
I built .

Also, Does this command below give me the latest kernel code ?

I have tried to clone another repository using the command below

git clone git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git

while building with this , I had to install gcc plugin-dev . I don't
understand why ?
I didn't have to do it last time I built the kernel

Regards

* Which repository to clone ?
@ 2017-02-01 23:36 ` Lino Sanfilippo
From: Lino Sanfilippo @ 2017-02-01 23:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Hi,

On 01.02.2017 23:09, srishti sharma wrote:
> Hey,
> I am an absolute newbie , I tried to clone greg kroah-hartman's
> staging tree repository , somehow I was not able to boot in the kernel
> I built .
>
> Also, Does this command below give me the latest kernel code ?
>
> I have tried to clone another repository using the command below
>
> git clone git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git

for the recent mainline kernel use
git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git

Regards,
Lino

* Which repository to clone ?
@ 2017-02-01 23:38   ` srishti sharma
From: srishti sharma @ 2017-02-01 23:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Thanks for replying ,
Does the one I cloned give me 2.6 kernel version , is this not being
developed now ?
Also why did I need to use gcc plugin-devs ?
Regards

On Thu, Feb 2, 2017 at 5:06 AM, Lino Sanfilippo <LinoSanfilippo@gmx.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 01.02.2017 23:09, srishti sharma wrote:
>>
>> Hey,
>> I am an absolute newbie , I tried to clone greg kroah-hartman's
>> staging tree repository , somehow I was not able to boot in the kernel
>> I built .
>>
>> Also, Does this command below give me the latest kernel code ?
>>
>> I have tried to clone another repository using the command below
>>
>> git clone
>> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git
>>

> for the recent mainline kernel use
> git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git
>
> Regards,
> Lino

* Which repository to clone ?
@ 2017-02-01 23:46     ` Lino Sanfilippo
From: Lino Sanfilippo @ 2017-02-01 23:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On 02.02.2017 00:38, srishti sharma wrote:
> Thanks for replying ,
> Does the one I cloned give me 2.6 kernel version , is this not being
> developed now ?
> Also why did I need to use gcc plugin-devs ?
> Regards

Yes, the one you tried is the (very old) 2.6 kernel. I dont know why you
would have to install the plugin-devs. Which distro are you running?

Regards,
Lino

* Which repository to clone ?
@ 2017-02-01 23:47 ` Amit Kumar
From: Amit Kumar @ 2017-02-01 23:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Thu, Feb 02, 2017 at 03:39:18AM +0530, srishti sharma wrote:
> Hey,
> I am an absolute newbie , I tried to clone greg kroah-hartman's
> staging tree repository , somehow I was not able to boot in the kernel
> I built .
>
> Also, Does this command below give me the latest kernel code ?
>
> I have tried to clone another repository using the command below
>
> git clone git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git
>

> while building with this , I had to install gcc plugin-dev . I don't
> understand why ?
> I didn't have to do it last time I built the kernel
You may use this link,
https://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/linux-next.html
In summary, first you clone main upstream tree then add linux-next tree.
Whenever you want to create a patch, create a topic branch from the
latest next-* tag.

Regards,
Amit Kumar

> Regards

* Which repository to clone ?
@ 2017-02-01 23:58   ` srishti sharma
From: srishti sharma @ 2017-02-01 23:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Thanks, I am running ubuntu 16.04 LTS

On Thu, Feb 2, 2017 at 5:17 AM, Amit Kumar <free.amit.kumar@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 02, 2017 at 03:39:18AM +0530, srishti sharma wrote:
>> Hey,
>> I am an absolute newbie , I tried to clone greg kroah-hartman's
>> staging tree repository , somehow I was not able to boot in the kernel
>> I built .
>>
>> Also, Does this command below give me the latest kernel code ?
>>
>> I have tried to clone another repository using the command below
>>
>> git clone git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git
>>

>> while building with this , I had to install gcc plugin-dev . I don't
>> understand why ?
>> I didn't have to do it last time I built the kernel
> You may use this link,
> https://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/linux-next.html
> In summary, first you clone main upstream tree then add linux-next tree.
> Whenever you want to create a patch, create a topic branch from the
> latest next-* tag.
>
> Regards,
> Amit Kumar
>>
>> Regards

* Which repository to clone ?
@ 2017-02-02  0:05     ` srishti sharma
From: srishti sharma @ 2017-02-02  0:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Also my compiler is saying things like , cyclomatic complexity
followed by (i think) the parts it is compiling like driver names .
Also it has been two hours since it started compiling and it isn't
done yet . Is it because I ran $make instead $make -jx ? It was by
mistake .

On Thu, Feb 2, 2017 at 5:28 AM, srishti sharma <srishtishar@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks, I am running ubuntu 16.04 LTS
>
> On Thu, Feb 2, 2017 at 5:17 AM, Amit Kumar <free.amit.kumar@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Feb 02, 2017 at 03:39:18AM +0530, srishti sharma wrote:
>>> Hey,
>>> I am an absolute newbie , I tried to clone greg kroah-hartman's
>>> staging tree repository , somehow I was not able to boot in the kernel
>>> I built .
>>>
>>> Also, Does this command below give me the latest kernel code ?
>>>
>>> I have tried to clone another repository using the command below
>>>
>>> git clone git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git
>>>

>>> while building with this , I had to install gcc plugin-dev . I don't
>>> understand why ?
>>> I didn't have to do it last time I built the kernel
>> You may use this link,
>> https://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/linux-next.html
>> In summary, first you clone main upstream tree then add linux-next tree.
>> Whenever you want to create a patch, create a topic branch from the
>> latest next-* tag.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Amit Kumar
>>>
>>> Regards

* Which repository to clone ?
@ 2017-02-02  3:29       ` Amit Kumar
From: Amit Kumar @ 2017-02-02  3:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Thu, Feb 02, 2017 at 05:35:27AM +0530, srishti sharma wrote:
> Also my compiler is saying things like , cyclomatic complexity
> followed by (i think) the parts it is compiling like driver names .
> Also it has been two hours since it started compiling and it isn't
> done yet . Is it because I ran $make instead $make -jx ? It was by
> mistake .
My advice is that
1) Clone your repo using the link that I have sent to you.
2) You have said that you are an absolute beginner, so create your topic
branch from upstream kernel master branch.
3)Last but not least, please read Linux Kernel In Nutshell(LKN)

If you want to complile for arm, an example,
ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-gnueabli- make distclean
ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-gnueabli- make omap2plus_defconfig
ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-gnueabli- make zImage dtbs

This zImage can be run on BeagleBone Black.

> On Thu, Feb 2, 2017 at 5:28 AM, srishti sharma <srishtishar@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Thanks, I am running ubuntu 16.04 LTS

> >> You may use this link,
> >> https://www.kernel.org/doc/man-pages/linux-next.html
> >> In summary, first you clone main upstream tree then add linux-next tree.
> >> Whenever you want to create a patch, create a topic branch from the
> >> latest next-* tag.
> >>
> >> Regards,
> >> Amit Kumar

* Which repository to clone ?
@ 2017-02-02  4:53         ` Amit Kumar
From: Amit Kumar @ 2017-02-02  4:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Thu, Feb 02, 2017 at 03:29:39AM +0000, Amit Kumar wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 02, 2017 at 05:35:27AM +0530, srishti sharma wrote:
> > Also my compiler is saying things like , cyclomatic complexity
> > followed by (i think) the parts it is compiling like driver names .
> > Also it has been two hours since it started compiling and it isn't
> > done yet . Is it because I ran $make instead $make -jx ? It was by
> > mistake .
> My advice is that
> 1) Clone your repo using the link that I have sent to you.
> 2) You have said that you are an absolute beginner, so create your topic
> branch from upstream kernel master branch.
> 3)Last but not least, please read Linux Kernel In Nutshell(LKN)
>
> If you want to complile for arm, an example,
> ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-gnueabli- make distclean
> ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-gnueabli- make omap2plus_defconfig
> ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=arm-linux-gnueabli- make zImage dtbs
Sorry, it is gnueabi. arm-linux-gnueabi- is prefix of arm gcc compiler
installed on your system.

> This zImage can be run on BeagleBone Black.
>

> > On Thu, Feb 2, 2017 at 5:28 AM, srishti sharma <srishtishar@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Thanks, I am running ubuntu 16.04 LTS

* Which repository to clone ?
@ 2017-02-02  7:12 ` Greg KH
From: Greg KH @ 2017-02-02  7:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Thu, Feb 02, 2017 at 03:39:18AM +0530, srishti sharma wrote:
> Hey,
> I am an absolute newbie , I tried to clone greg kroah-hartman's
> staging tree repository , somehow I was not able to boot in the kernel
> I built .
>
> Also, Does this command below give me the latest kernel code ?
>
> I have tried to clone another repository using the command below
>
> git clone git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git
>

> while building with this , I had to install gcc plugin-dev . I don't
> understand why ?
> I didn't have to do it last time I built the kernel

Because you must have enabled the gcc-plugin kernel build options.
Disable them if you do not wish to do this.

thanks,

greg k-h

* Which repository to clone ?
@ 2017-02-02 10:32   ` srishti sharma