* DNS when using Static IP
@ 2014-05-02 11:04 Tarek El-Sherbiny
From: Tarek El-Sherbiny @ 2014-05-02 11:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto, openembedded-core

Hi.

I'm trying to set my IP config to a static address.

iface eth0 inet static
     address 192.168.55.45
     network 192.168.55.0
     netmask 255.255.255.0
     broadcast 192.168.55.255
     gateway 192.168.55.1
     dns-nameservers 192.168.10.2

But I don't get the DNS server address to be included in /etc/resolv.conf

If I run in dchp mode, then the resolv.conf is updated with my DNS address.
Is there something I'm missing here in my setup?

--
*Tarek*

* Re: [OE-core] DNS when using Static IP
@ 2014-05-02 12:01   ` Iorga, Cristian
From: Iorga, Cristian @ 2014-05-02 12:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tarek El-Sherbiny, yocto, openembedded-core

Hello,

What image did you start from, if any?
i.e., core-image-minimal, core-image-sato, etc…
Is connman included?

Regards,
Cristian Iorga
YP
Intel Corporation

@ 2014-05-02 12:30     ` Tarek El-Sherbiny
From: Tarek El-Sherbiny @ 2014-05-02 12:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Iorga, Cristian; +Cc: yocto, openembedded-core

No connman is not included.  Shall I include it and try?
On 2 May 2014 13:01, "Iorga, Cristian" <cristian.iorga@intel.com> wrote:

>  Hello,
>

> What image did you start from, if any?
>
> i.e., core-image-minimal, core-image-sato, etc…
>
> Is connman included?
>

> Regards,
>
> Cristian Iorga
>
> YP
>
> Intel Corporation

* Re: DNS when using Static IP
@ 2014-05-02 12:30     ` Tarek El-Sherbiny
From: Tarek El-Sherbiny @ 2014-05-02 12:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Iorga, Cristian; +Cc: yocto, openembedded-core

@ 2014-05-02 12:49       ` Iorga, Cristian
From: Iorga, Cristian @ 2014-05-02 12:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tarek El-Sherbiny; +Cc: yocto, openembedded-core

Not really, I just wanted to get a better overview of the issue that you are facing.
What image did you started from, if any?

From: Iorga, Cristian @ 2014-05-02 12:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tarek El-Sherbiny; +Cc: yocto, openembedded-core

@ 2014-05-02 13:08         ` Tarek El-Sherbiny
From: Tarek El-Sherbiny @ 2014-05-02 13:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Iorga, Cristian; +Cc: yocto, openembedded-core

My image is based on core-image-base.

include recipes-core/images/core-image-base.bb

--
*Tarek*

* Re: DNS when using Static IP
@ 2014-05-02 13:08         ` Tarek El-Sherbiny
From: Tarek El-Sherbiny @ 2014-05-02 13:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Iorga, Cristian; +Cc: yocto, openembedded-core

--

@ 2014-05-02 14:15         ` Mike Looijmans
From: Mike Looijmans @ 2014-05-02 14:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Iorga, Cristian, Tarek El-Sherbiny; +Cc: yocto, openembedded-core

When using DHCP, busybox's udhcpc script will write the DNS entries that
the server returned into the resolv.conf file.

In this case, I think you'll have to "provide" resolv.conf in some other
way, there's nothing in ifup/ifdown that will modify resolv.conf based
on keywords in the interfaces file.

Mike.

--
Mike Looijmans

* Re: DNS when using Static IP
@ 2014-05-02 14:15         ` Mike Looijmans
From: Mike Looijmans @ 2014-05-02 14:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Iorga, Cristian, Tarek El-Sherbiny; +Cc: yocto, openembedded-core

--
Mike Looijmans

* Re: [OE-core] DNS when using Static IP
@ 2014-05-02 14:56           ` Tarek El-Sherbiny
From: Tarek El-Sherbiny @ 2014-05-02 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Looijmans; +Cc: yocto, openembedded-core

I have created  resolv.conf  manually using vi but every time I do a reboot
the file comes back empty. and the dns function is not working.

What is the best solution to this?

--
*Tarek*

* Re: DNS when using Static IP
@ 2014-05-02 14:56           ` Tarek El-Sherbiny
From: Tarek El-Sherbiny @ 2014-05-02 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mike Looijmans; +Cc: yocto, openembedded-core

--

@ 2014-05-02 15:38   ` Andreas Oberritter
From: Andreas Oberritter @ 2014-05-02 15:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tarek El-Sherbiny, yocto, openembedded-core

Hello Tarek,

On 02.05.2014 13:04, Tarek El-Sherbiny wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I'm trying to set my IP config to a static address.
>
> iface eth0 inet static
>      address 192.168.55.45
>      network 192.168.55.0
>      netmask 255.255.255.0
>      broadcast 192.168.55.255
>      gateway 192.168.55.1
>      dns-nameservers 192.168.10.2

FWIW, in Debian-based systems, which is where ifupdown comes from, you
need to install the resolvconf package in order to handle
dns-nameservers entries. I don't know whether that's compatible with
busybox' implementation of ifupdown, though.

Regards,
Andreas

> But I don't get the DNS server address to be included in /etc/resolv.conf
>
> If I run in dchp mode, then the resolv.conf is updated with my DNS address.
> Is there something I'm missing here in my setup?
>

> --
> /Tarek/

* Re: DNS when using Static IP
@ 2014-05-02 15:38   ` Andreas Oberritter