* VMM OSX port
@ 2012-06-19 23:33 Gene Crucean
From: Gene Crucean @ 2012-06-19 23:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kvm

Hey everyone,

I just subscribed to this list so please forgive me if I goof something up.

I was looking into the possibility of porting VMM to OSX. Is this on the
todo list already? Or something that anyone else is hoping for? Since it's
all written in Python (with GTK for the UI), it doesn't seem like it would
be too bad of a port. The hard part is finding all of the pre-req's for OSX.

Would someone that knows this code better than I, know of any walls I might
run into? Of course the gnome libs won't be available but I was thinking
those would get replaced with cocoa interface libs.

I've never ported anything before (probably obvious :) so any tips/advice
are welcome.

(Yay!)
 python  >= 2.4
 pygtk2 >= 1.99.12-6
 libxml2-python >= 2.6.23

(Not sure if these exist for osx)
 libvirt-python >= 0.4.0
 dbus-python >= 0.61
 vte >= 0.12.2
 gtk-vnc >= 0.0.1
 python-virtinst >= 0.300.0
 PolicyKit >= 0.6

(Most likely don't exist for osx :)
 gnome-python2-gconf >= 1.99.11-7
 gnome-keyring >= 0.4.9
 gnome-python-desktop >= 2.15.4

--
Gene Crucean - Emmy winning - Oscar nominated VFX Supervisor / iOS-OSX
Developer / Filmmaker / Photographer

~~ Please use my website's contact form on www.genecrucean.com for any
personal emails. Thanks. I may not get them at this address. ~~

* Re: VMM OSX port
@ 2012-06-20 14:26 ` Cole Robinson
From: Cole Robinson @ 2012-06-20 14:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gene Crucean; +Cc: kvm, virt-tools-list

FYI the virt-manager list is virt-tools-list@redhat.com, CC'd.

On 06/19/2012 07:33 PM, Gene Crucean wrote:
> Hey everyone,
>
> I just subscribed to this list so please forgive me if I goof something up.
>
> I was looking into the possibility of porting VMM to OSX. Is this on the
> todo list already? Or something that anyone else is hoping for? Since it's
> all written in Python (with GTK for the UI), it doesn't seem like it would
> be too bad of a port. The hard part is finding all of the pre-req's for OSX.
>
> Would someone that knows this code better than I, know of any walls I might
> run into? Of course the gnome libs won't be available but I was thinking
> those would get replaced with cocoa interface libs.

Porting from GTK to cocoa would be a pretty massive undertaking, you'd
practically be rewriting the app.

> I've never ported anything before (probably obvious :) so any tips/advice
> are welcome.

This dep list is out of date (yeah virt-manager.org kinda sucks). Take a look
at the virt-manager.spec.in file in the git repo/tarball, all the Requires:
lines should give a more accurate picture.

> (Yay!)
>  python  >= 2.4
>  pygtk2 >= 1.99.12-6
>  libxml2-python >= 2.6.23
>
> (Not sure if these exist for osx)
>  libvirt-python >= 0.4.0
>  python-virtinst >= 0.300.0

These two are hard requirements.

>  vte >= 0.12.2
>  gtk-vnc >= 0.0.1
>  PolicyKit >= 0.6
>  dbus-python >= 0.61

These could be disabled with low effort, but virt-manager functionality would
understandably suffer.

- Cole

* Re: VMM OSX port
@ 2012-06-20 19:14   ` Gene Crucean
From: Gene Crucean @ 2012-06-20 19:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cole Robinson; +Cc: kvm, virt-tools-list

Cole, thanks for the reply! That was all very helpful.

Sorry about the wrong list thing too btw. Take care guys!