* SSTATE corruption
@ 2022-03-22 13:48 Rusty Howell
From: Rusty Howell @ 2022-03-22 13:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

Is the sstate cache sensitive to different releases and or the ordering of
the bblayers?   We are upgrading our Yocto-based distro from dunfell to
hardknott.  So for a while we will be building our distro on both releases.
  Do we need to keep the sstate caches separate for these builds?

Another related question... Does changing the order of the bblayers corrupt
the sstate cache (ie require a fresh sstate)?
Thanks

* Re: [yocto] SSTATE corruption
@ 2022-03-22 14:13 ` Alexander Kanavin
From: Alexander Kanavin @ 2022-03-22 14:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rusty Howell; +Cc: yocto

No and no.

Alex

On Tue, 22 Mar 2022 at 14:48, Rusty Howell <rustyhowell@gmail.com> wrote:

> Is the sstate cache sensitive to different releases and or the ordering of the bblayers?   We are upgrading our Yocto-based distro from dunfell to hardknott.  So for a while we will be building our distro on both releases.   Do we need to keep the sstate caches separate for these builds?
>
> Another related question... Does changing the order of the bblayers corrupt the sstate cache (ie require a fresh sstate)?
> Thanks

* Re: [yocto] SSTATE corruption
@ 2022-03-22 17:54   ` Chuck Wolber
From: Chuck Wolber @ 2022-03-22 17:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alexander Kanavin; +Cc: Rusty Howell, yocto

Alex is very much correct, you should not see corruption. But I think more
detail is in order.

If your distro repository is a "garden variety" set of image recipes and
recipe overrides that pull upstream source bundles, then your SSTATE cache
should age nicely from release to release.

However, if your source code and associated application files ride along in
the same repository as your recipes, or you add your own bbclass
functionality, you may want to reconsider keeping SSTATE cache around for
too long. There are still some issues to be worked out to make the local
file fetcher as reliable as the other fetchers when it comes to keeping
your distro buttoned up into one monolithic repository with application
level source code trees.

..Ch:W..

On Tue, Mar 22, 2022 at 7:13 AM Alexander Kanavin <alex.kanavin@gmail.com>
wrote:

> No and no.
>
> Alex
>
> On Tue, 22 Mar 2022 at 14:48, Rusty Howell <rustyhowell@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Is the sstate cache sensitive to different releases and or the ordering
> of the bblayers?   We are upgrading our Yocto-based distro from dunfell to
> hardknott.  So for a while we will be building our distro on both
> releases.   Do we need to keep the sstate caches separate for these builds?
> >
> > Another related question... Does changing the order of the bblayers
> corrupt the sstate cache (ie require a fresh sstate)?
> > Thanks

*"Perfection must be reached by degrees; she requires the slow hand of
time." - Voltaire*

* Re: [yocto] SSTATE corruption
@ 2022-03-23 12:49     ` Richard Purdie
From: Richard Purdie @ 2022-03-23 12:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chuck Wolber, Alexander Kanavin; +Cc: Rusty Howell, yocto

On Tue, 2022-03-22 at 10:54 -0700, Chuck Wolber wrote:
> Alex is very much correct, you should not see corruption. But I think more
> detail is in order.
>
> If your distro repository is a "garden variety" set of image recipes and
> recipe overrides that pull upstream source bundles, then your SSTATE cache
> should age nicely from release to release.
>
> However, if your source code and associated application files ride along in
> the same repository as your recipes, or you add your own bbclass
> functionality, you may want to reconsider keeping SSTATE cache around for too
> long. There are still some issues to be worked out to make the local file
> fetcher as reliable as the other fetchers

Did we get that solved on master or not? I can't remember if there were
remaining issues or not?

Cheers,

Richard