* [ath9k-devel] Fwd: Testing Auto Channel Selection with hostapd in ath5k and ath9k
@ 2011-07-15 10:45 Swaminathan Vasanth Rajaraman
       [not found] ` <CAEzeFirXVu_pwDCb6t=ps4xskc4fFUy9gGECJgK1q7cYhLizVQ@mail.gmail.com>
From: Swaminathan Vasanth Rajaraman @ 2011-07-15 10:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

Hi,
 Any one working on hostapd please help in this issue. Did not get a reply
from hostap mailing list, so just posting here and trying my luck to get
some guidance.

Hi,

 I am trying to enable the Auto Channel Selection in hostapd with ath5k and
ath9k drivers. I cloned the source of hostap from the git and applied the
patch (
http://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/mcgrof/patches/hostapd/acs-all-in-one-v2.patch).
I then went to the hostapd directory of hostap and did make and make
install. Followed instruction from (
http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Documentation/hostapd#Download_and_compile_hostapd).

While building the software i enabled CONFIG_ACS=y in  the defconfig file
present in /hostap/hostapd/ to .config and performed the build. I then did a
make install and configured the hostapd.conf file.

Hostapd is working fine for me without ACS but when i enable channel=0 or
channel=acs_survey and uncomment the

acs_num_req_surveys=10
acs_roc_duration_ms=5

options for ACS to be enabled it throws this error when starting hostapd,

> sudo hostapd hostapd.conf

Configuration file: hostapd.conf
Line 113: set as '0' tries to enable ACS but CONFIG_ACS disabled
Line 125: invalid acs_num_req_surveys 10 (CONFIG_ACS disabled)
Line 126: invalid acs_roc_duration_ms 5 (CONFIG_ACS disabled)1..5000)
3 errors found in configuration file 'hostapd.conf'

Infact i enabled CONFIG_ACS when building.

Any pointers on what to do to enable ACS please.

Awaiting your kind reply.

Best Regards,
Swaminathan Vasanth Rajaraman

--
Best Regards,
Swaminathan Vasanth Rajaraman

* Re: Testing Auto Channel Selection with hostapd in ath5k and ath9k
       [not found]     ` <CAEzeFiq2FXYKkfXjDtguryniaU7hQkJczLU98V9P3Uv5-D-P3g@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2011-07-25 20:33       ` Luis R. Rodriguez
       [not found]         ` <CAEzeFiq5HXyazJfAx3mRV7TBy6CVEivJY63GkF8jnCczGsUK8Q@mail.gmail.com>
From: Luis R. Rodriguez @ 2011-07-25 20:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Swaminathan Vasanth Rajaraman; +Cc: mcgrof, linux-wireless

On Mon, Jul 18, 2011 at 2:14 AM, Swaminathan Vasanth Rajaraman
<swaminathanvasanth.r@gmail.com> wrote:
> rajaras1@kesateekkari:/etc/hostapd$ sudo hostapd hostapd.conf
> Configuration file: hostapd.conf
> ACS: automatic channel selection started, this may take a bit
> ACS: offchannel TX support required
> Segmentation fault

Can you test with the latest series I posted?

  Luis

@ 2011-07-27 20:33           ` Luis R. Rodriguez
From: Luis R. Rodriguez @ 2011-07-27 20:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Swaminathan Vasanth Rajaraman; +Cc: mcgrof, linux-wireless

On Wed, Jul 27, 2011 at 10:33 AM, Swaminathan Vasanth Rajaraman
<swaminathanvasanth.r@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>  Thanks for the reply. I made it working for ath9k. It works well for it.

Awesome!

>   Currently i am trying to cross compile and integrating it with Openwrt
> firmware for MIPS architecture. Specifically, for Netgear WNDR37000 router
> which uses ath9k driver.

Great.

>   While building the firmware, hostapd uses the source code from the
> repository git://w1.fi/srv/git/hostap.git. Since this repository is not
> having ACS integrated with it, i created a repository with the patched
> version of hostapd and pointed it as a source for Compilation. The
> compilation and building of firmware is successful. But when i look at the
> files of hostapd in the build_dir, acs files are not available.
> Because of it, i am having a doubt weather ACS is actually integrated to the
> firmware.
>
> Do you have any idea regarding it?

Nope, try the openwrt mailing list.

  Luis

* Re: Testing Auto Channel Selection with hostapd in ath5k and ath9k
@ 2011-07-27 21:18             ` Swaminathan Vasanth
From: Swaminathan Vasanth @ 2011-07-27 21:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-wireless

Hi Luis,
 Do you maintain any public git for ACS ? If so can you please send the
repository ID? Since hostapd of Openwrt uses the hostap git namely
git://w1.fi/srv/git/hostap.git for compiling and building, i think that if i can
point it to the correct public ACS git, ACS might be integrated with Openwrt.
  Thanks
BR,
Vasanth

* Re: Testing Auto Channel Selection with hostapd in ath5k and ath9k
@ 2011-07-27 23:01               ` Luis R. Rodriguez
From: Luis R. Rodriguez @ 2011-07-27 23:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Swaminathan Vasanth; +Cc: linux-wireless

On Wed, Jul 27, 2011 at 2:18 PM, Swaminathan Vasanth
<swaminathanvasanth.r@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Luis,
>  Do you maintain any public git for ACS ? If so can you please send the
> repository ID? Since hostapd of Openwrt uses the hostap git namely
> git://w1.fi/srv/git/hostap.git for compiling and building, i think that if i can
> point it to the correct public ACS git, ACS might be integrated with Openwrt.
>  Thanks
> BR,

Can't you just point it to a local /home/foo/hostapd/.git  ?

 Luis

* Re: Testing Auto Channel Selection with hostapd in ath5k and ath9k
@ 2011-07-27 23:02                 ` Luis R. Rodriguez
From: Luis R. Rodriguez @ 2011-07-27 23:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Swaminathan Vasanth; +Cc: linux-wireless

On Wed, Jul 27, 2011 at 4:01 PM, Luis R. Rodriguez <mcgrof@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 27, 2011 at 2:18 PM, Swaminathan Vasanth
> <swaminathanvasanth.r@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hi Luis,
>>  Do you maintain any public git for ACS ? If so can you please send the
>> repository ID? Since hostapd of Openwrt uses the hostap git namely
>> git://w1.fi/srv/git/hostap.git for compiling and building, i think that if i can
>> point it to the correct public ACS git, ACS might be integrated with Openwrt.
>>  Thanks
>> BR,
>
> Can't you just point it to a local /home/foo/hostapd/.git  ?

I just have a tree for ACS, with code independent from hostapd, but
nothing for hostapd. If you *really* need this let me know and I can
make one..

  Luis

* Re: Testing Auto Channel Selection with hostapd in ath5k and ath9k
@ 2011-07-27 23:15                   ` Luis R. Rodriguez
From: Luis R. Rodriguez @ 2011-07-27 23:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Swaminathan Vasanth; +Cc: linux-wireless

On Wed, Jul 27, 2011 at 4:02 PM, Luis R. Rodriguez <mcgrof@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 27, 2011 at 4:01 PM, Luis R. Rodriguez <mcgrof@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Jul 27, 2011 at 2:18 PM, Swaminathan Vasanth
>> <swaminathanvasanth.r@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hi Luis,
>>>  Do you maintain any public git for ACS ? If so can you please send the
>>> repository ID? Since hostapd of Openwrt uses the hostap git namely
>>> git://w1.fi/srv/git/hostap.git for compiling and building, i think that if i can
>>> point it to the correct public ACS git, ACS might be integrated with Openwrt.
>>>  Thanks
>>> BR,
>>
>> Can't you just point it to a local /home/foo/hostapd/.git  ?
>
> I just have a tree for ACS, with code independent from hostapd, but
> nothing for hostapd. If you *really* need this let me know and I can
> make one..

Ok give this 10 minutes or so and it will be avaliable at:

git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/mcgrof/hostap.git

Be sure to use the ACS branch, the master branch is just a copy of
what Jouni has on his master.

  Luis

* Re: Testing Auto Channel Selection with hostapd in ath5k and ath9k
@ 2011-07-28 11:32                     ` Swaminathan Vasanth
From: Swaminathan Vasanth @ 2011-07-28 11:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-wireless

Hi,
Tried Applying ACS patch for hostapd while building Openwrt. Got errors :( Any
pointers guys? Did any crack it?
./patches/acs-all-in-one-v2.patch using plaintext:
patching file src/ap/drv_callbacks.c
Hunk #2 FAILED at 633.
1 out of 2 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to file src/ap/drv_callbacks.c.rej
patching file src/ap/drv_callbacks.c
Hunk #1 FAILED at 545.
1 out of 2 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to file src/ap/drv_callbacks.c.rej
patching file src/drivers/driver.h
Hunk #3 FAILED at 2270.
1 out of 5 hunks FAILED -- saving rejects to file src/drivers/driver.h.rej
patching file src/drivers/driver_nl80211.c
Hunk #2 FAILED at 6868.
Patch failed!  Please fix ./patches/acs-all-in-one-v2.patch!

* Re: Testing Auto Channel Selection with hostapd in ath5k and ath9k
@ 2011-07-28 11:39                     ` Swaminathan Vasanth
From: Swaminathan Vasanth @ 2011-07-28 11:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-wireless

Hi Luis,

 It din work :( Though i pointed to the ACS Hostapd git, while building the
firmware it is taking the source code of hostapd without ACS. I need to somehow
point it to ACS enabled hostapd git. I ll try to fix it.

Thanks,
BR,
 Vasanth

* Re: Testing Auto Channel Selection with hostapd in ath5k and ath9k
@ 2011-07-28 14:02             ` Swaminathan Vasanth
From: Swaminathan Vasanth @ 2011-07-28 14:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-wireless

Hi guys,
 Atlast integrated compiled and built a firmware of Openwrt with hostapd ACS :)
But, the ACS code did not allow any other previous patches already present in
the Openwrt hostapd trunk to be applied :(

* Re: Testing Auto Channel Selection with hostapd in ath5k and ath9k
@ 2011-07-28 15:09               ` Luis R. Rodriguez
From: Luis R. Rodriguez @ 2011-07-28 15:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Swaminathan Vasanth; +Cc: linux-wireless

On Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 7:02 AM, Swaminathan Vasanth
<swaminathanvasanth.r@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi guys,
>  Atlast integrated compiled and built a firmware of Openwrt with hostapd ACS :)
> But, the ACS code did not allow any other previous patches already present in
> the Openwrt hostapd trunk to be applied :(

What can I say, return -ENOTMYISSUE; wait until this stuff gets merged upstream.

  Luis

* Re: Testing Auto Channel Selection with hostapd in ath5k and ath9k
@ 2011-07-28 15:26                 ` Swaminathan Vasanth
From: Swaminathan Vasanth @ 2011-07-28 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-wireless

> "return -ENOTMYISSUE;"

;) Hmmmm, but this will do for initial testing of it with Openwrt :)

BR,
Vasanth

* Re: Testing Auto Channel Selection with hostapd in ath5k and ath9k
@ 2011-07-28 15:30                   ` Luis R. Rodriguez
From: Luis R. Rodriguez @ 2011-07-28 15:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Swaminathan Vasanth; +Cc: linux-wireless

On Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 8:26 AM, Swaminathan Vasanth
<swaminathanvasanth.r@gmail.com> wrote:
>> "return -ENOTMYISSUE;"
>
> ;) Hmmmm, but this will do for initial testing of it with Openwrt :)

Can't you just stuff the relevant patches into the extra patches for hostapd ?

  Luis

* Re: Testing Auto Channel Selection with hostapd in ath5k and ath9k
@ 2011-07-28 15:48                     ` Swaminathan Vasanth
From: Swaminathan Vasanth @ 2011-07-28 15:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-wireless

Initially i was trying to get the source code without acs (available at
git) and tried to patch it with the acs-all-in-one-v4.patch by placing the patch
in in the patch directory of Openwrt/package/hostapd.(thought that the patch
would be applied), but returned HUNK FAILED on patching ACS.
So i pointed the local patched hostap files present in my home dir for building
hostap with ACS. During the build process it throwed patch Failed errors for
some other patches of hostapd in Openwrt like 300-scan_ssid.patch etc. So i
compiled with the ACS integrated code alone and built it on the firmware. :(

* Re: Testing Auto Channel Selection with hostapd in ath5k and ath9k
@ 2011-07-28 17:14                       ` Luis R. Rodriguez
From: Luis R. Rodriguez @ 2011-07-28 17:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Swaminathan Vasanth; +Cc: linux-wireless

On Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 8:48 AM, Swaminathan Vasanth
<swaminathanvasanth.r@gmail.com> wrote:
> Initially i was trying to get the source code without acs (available at
> git) and tried to patch it with the acs-all-in-one-v4.patch by placing the patch
> in in the patch directory of Openwrt/package/hostapd.(thought that the patch
> would be applied), but returned HUNK FAILED on patching ACS.
> So i pointed the local patched hostap files present in my home dir for building
> hostap with ACS. During the build process it throwed patch Failed errors for
> some other patches of hostapd in Openwrt like 300-scan_ssid.patch etc. So i
> compiled with the ACS integrated code alone and built it on the firmware. :(

I posted a v5 of the patches, that should be used, at this point
please consider waiting for the patches to be merged, otherwise please
leave out integration with OpenWrt out of this discussion, I'm frankly
not interested in the side issues with integration at this point, I'm
more interested in actual results. If its too difficult to integrate
please seek advice from the OpenWrt mailing list -- or just hold your
horses.

  Luis

* Re: Testing Auto Channel Selection with hostapd in ath5k and ath9k
@ 2011-07-28 19:02                         ` Swaminathan Vasanth
From: Swaminathan Vasanth @ 2011-07-28 19:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-wireless

> I posted a v5 of the patches, that should be used,

Sure. I will use v5 and test them.

>at this point please consider waiting for the patches to be merged, otherwise
>please leave out integration with OpenWrt out of this discussion, I'm frankly
> not interested in the side issues with integration at this point, I'm
> more interested in actual results.

Hmmmm, i was thinking about testing ACS performance on my router. So was so
curious on the integration part.

> If its too difficult to integrate
> please seek advice from the OpenWrt mailing list -- or just hold your
> horses.

Thanks Luis, I managed to integrate ACS with Openwrt. I am really Sorry for
speaking about integration topic here. Will provide my results of ACS v5 soon :)

Have a great day !

Thanks.
BR,
Vasanth