* question about backfill on erasure pool
@ 2016-12-13  9:58 huang jun
From: huang jun @ 2016-12-13  9:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ceph-devel

hi,all
i have a question about pg backfill on erasure pool.
pg0 in erasure pool, which k:m=2:1,
at first, pg0 on osd [1,2,3], after osd.4 added,
the pg0 is now distribute to osd [1,2,4],
for replicated pool, it will do backfill from primary(osd.1) to osd.4,
for erasure code pool, the primary osd.1 needs to read the data chunks
from osd.1 and osd.2,
then decode and push the parity chunk to osd.4,
in the above case, the osd.3 is up and contain the parity chunk,
why dont let osd.3 push the parity chunk to osd.4?

* Re: question about backfill on erasure pool
@ 2016-12-13 12:48 ` Sage Weil
From: Sage Weil @ 2016-12-13 12:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: huang jun; +Cc: ceph-devel

On Tue, 13 Dec 2016, huang jun wrote:
> hi,all
> i have a question about pg backfill on erasure pool.
> pg0 in erasure pool, which k:m=2:1,
> at first, pg0 on osd [1,2,3], after osd.4 added,
> the pg0 is now distribute to osd [1,2,4],
> for replicated pool, it will do backfill from primary(osd.1) to osd.4,
> for erasure code pool, the primary osd.1 needs to read the data chunks
> from osd.1 and osd.2,
> then decode and push the parity chunk to osd.4,
> in the above case, the osd.3 is up and contain the parity chunk,
> why dont let osd.3 push the parity chunk to osd.4?

I don't think there is any reason why we couldn't... it just hasn't been
implemented.  Sam?

sage

* Re: question about backfill on erasure pool
@ 2016-12-13 15:42   ` Samuel Just
From: Samuel Just @ 2016-12-13 15:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sage Weil; +Cc: huang jun, ceph-devel

Actually, I'm not sure it wouldn't read the parity chunk from osd.3,
I'd have to check.  However, the data would still go through the
primary.
-Sam

@ 2016-12-14  1:01     ` huang jun
From: huang jun @ 2016-12-14  1:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Just; +Cc: Sage Weil, ceph-devel

> Actually, I'm not sure it wouldn't read the parity chunk from osd.3,
> I'd have to check.  However, the data would still go through the
> primary.
you reminder me, i will check the osd log,
it is expected if the osd1 read the parity chunk from osd.3(shard 2)
and then push it to osd.4?
> -Sam
>
> On Tue, Dec 13, 2016 at 4:48 AM, Sage Weil <sage@newdream.net> wrote:
>> On Tue, 13 Dec 2016, huang jun wrote:
>>> hi,all
>>> i have a question about pg backfill on erasure pool.
>>> pg0 in erasure pool, which k:m=2:1,
>>> at first, pg0 on osd [1,2,3], after osd.4 added,
>>> the pg0 is now distribute to osd [1,2,4],
>>> for replicated pool, it will do backfill from primary(osd.1) to osd.4,
>>> for erasure code pool, the primary osd.1 needs to read the data chunks
>>> from osd.1 and osd.2,
>>> then decode and push the parity chunk to osd.4,
>>> in the above case, the osd.3 is up and contain the parity chunk,
>>> why dont let osd.3 push the parity chunk to osd.4?
>>
>> I don't think there is any reason why we couldn't... it just hasn't been
>> implemented.  Sam?
>>
>> sage
>> --

Thank you!
HuangJun

* Re: question about backfill on erasure pool
@ 2016-12-14  1:37       ` huang jun
From: huang jun @ 2016-12-14  1:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Samuel Just; +Cc: Sage Weil, ceph-devel

after check the osd log and ECBackend.cc source code,
when doing backfill, the osd.1 will read the parity chunk from osd.3,
and then push it to osd.4,
don't need to read data chunks from osd.1 and osd.2, and decode, then
send osd.4 parity chunk,
my former understanding is wrong.

thanks.