* gatttool unable to connect to LE device, connection refused (111)
@ 2016-04-17 16:15 Stuart Little
From: Stuart Little @ 2016-04-17 16:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-bluetooth

Hi,
  Using linux kernel 4.2.8 or 4.3.4 I have been unable to connect to BLE devices using either gatttool or our app, which worked on an earlier kernel but had reliability issues so we have been updating to later kernel and rootfs.

hciconfig  shows

hci0:   Type: BR/EDR  Bus: UART
        BD Address: 78:A5:04:31:3C:4B  ACL MTU: 1021:6  SCO MTU: 180:4
        UP RUNNING
        RX bytes:24625 acl:0 sco:0 events:733 errors:0
        TX bytes:481 acl:0 sco:0 commands:43 errors:0

Hcitool lescan:-

LE Scan ...
DA:61:22:17:65:E8 (unknown)
DA:61:22:17:65:E8 (unknown)
C3:9B:9C:19:F8:49 (unknown)
C3:9B:9C:19:F8:49 (unknown)

The application scan also receives beacons, however when an attempt to connect is made either via the app or gatttool I always get connection refused (111).

systemctl | grep Bluetooth

sys-devices-virtual-bluetooth-hci0-rfkill0.device            loaded active plugged   /sys/devices/virtual/bluetooth/hci0/rfkill0
sys-devices-virtual-bluetooth-hci0.device                         loaded active plugged   /sys/devices/virtual/bluetooth/hci0
sys-subsystem-bluetooth-devices-hci0.device                loaded active plugged   /sys/subsystem/bluetooth/devices/hci0
bluetooth.service                                                                         loaded active running   Bluetooth service
bluetooth.target                                                                           loaded active active    Bluetooth

bluetoothctl howver shows No default controller availalble.

One post suggested that bluez does not support BLE without a configuration change using btmgmt le on, but that fails
"Set Low Energy for hci0 failed with status 0x11 (Invalid Index)", presumably as bluetoothd has no controller.

Any pointers as to what I am missing (bluetooth newbie)

Thanks,
  Stu

* Re: gatttool unable to connect to LE device, connection refused (111)
@ 2016-04-20  7:52 ` Luiz Augusto von Dentz
From: Luiz Augusto von Dentz @ 2016-04-20  7:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stuart Little; +Cc: linux-bluetooth

Hi Stuart,

On Sun, Apr 17, 2016 at 7:15 PM, Stuart Little
<Stuart.Little@leotel-software.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi,
>   Using linux kernel 4.2.8 or 4.3.4 I have been unable to connect to BLE devices using either gatttool or our app, which worked on an earlier kernel but had reliability issues so we have been updating to later kernel and rootfs.
>
> hciconfig  shows
>
> hci0:   Type: BR/EDR  Bus: UART
>         BD Address: 78:A5:04:31:3C:4B  ACL MTU: 1021:6  SCO MTU: 180:4
>         UP RUNNING
>         RX bytes:24625 acl:0 sco:0 events:733 errors:0
>         TX bytes:481 acl:0 sco:0 commands:43 errors:0
>
> Hcitool lescan:-
>
> LE Scan ...
> DA:61:22:17:65:E8 (unknown)
> DA:61:22:17:65:E8 (unknown)
> C3:9B:9C:19:F8:49 (unknown)
> C3:9B:9C:19:F8:49 (unknown)

hcitool is deprecated, to scan please use bluetoothctl.

> The application scan also receives beacons, however when an attempt to connect is made either via the app or gatttool I always get connection refused (111).

gatttool is also deprecated, please use bluetoothctl instead.

> systemctl | grep Bluetooth
>
> sys-devices-virtual-bluetooth-hci0-rfkill0.device            loaded active plugged   /sys/devices/virtual/bluetooth/hci0/rfkill0
> sys-devices-virtual-bluetooth-hci0.device                         loaded active plugged   /sys/devices/virtual/bluetooth/hci0
> sys-subsystem-bluetooth-devices-hci0.device                loaded active plugged   /sys/subsystem/bluetooth/devices/hci0
> bluetooth.service                                                                         loaded active running   Bluetooth service
> bluetooth.target                                                                           loaded active active    Bluetooth
>
> bluetoothctl howver shows No default controller availalble.

That seems to be the real problem here, check what is the log of
bluetoothd perhaps is not working properly because you are running
gatttool.

> One post suggested that bluez does not support BLE without a configuration change using btmgmt le on, but that fails
> "Set Low Energy for hci0 failed with status 0x11 (Invalid Index)", presumably as bluetoothd has no controller.

Thats not bluetoothd, actually the kernel mgmt interface is used so
even the kernel is not able to work, perhaps something is interfering
with the setup or setting it up to use a user channel mode.

> Any pointers as to what I am missing (bluetooth newbie)
>
> Thanks,
>   Stu

Luiz Augusto von Dentz