* Latest kernel documentation tree
@ 2016-10-26  8:03 Jai Krishna
From: Jai Krishna @ 2016-10-26  8:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Hello,

Im trying to follow the documentation work of converting to Sphinx etc
that Jon, Mauro and others are doing ( inferring from the patches
coming into kernel-docs@ ).

Id like to be able to pull and build the Sphinx based docs, learn and
possibly even contribute (wish, wish...). However, Im stuck on a very
mundane thing. Im not quite sure which tree has the latest sources.

I looked at kernel/kernel-docs.git on git.kernel.org but that seems
stale. Im not quite sure if its kernel/gregkh/staging.git.

Can someone kindly point me to the correct tree that has the latest
sources of Sphinx docs?

Thanks
Jai

* Latest kernel documentation tree
@ 2016-10-26  8:29 ` Mauro Carvalho Chehab
From: Mauro Carvalho Chehab @ 2016-10-26  8:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Em Wed, 26 Oct 2016 13:33:34 +0530
Jai Krishna <rjk1024@gmail.com> escreveu:

> Hello,
>
> Im trying to follow the documentation work of converting to Sphinx etc
> that Jon, Mauro and others are doing ( inferring from the patches
> coming into kernel-docs@ ).
>
> Id like to be able to pull and build the Sphinx based docs, learn and
> possibly even contribute (wish, wish...). However, Im stuck on a very
> mundane thing. Im not quite sure which tree has the latest sources.
>
> I looked at kernel/kernel-docs.git on git.kernel.org but that seems
> stale. Im not quite sure if its kernel/gregkh/staging.git.
>
> Can someone kindly point me to the correct tree that has the latest
> sources of Sphinx docs?

The development tree for documentation is at:
	git://git.lwn.net/linux.git

If you want to get the latest documentation patches, you should use
branch docs-next.

Regards,
Mauro

* Latest kernel documentation tree
@ 2016-10-26  8:33 ` Greg KH
From: Greg KH @ 2016-10-26  8:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Wed, Oct 26, 2016 at 01:33:34PM +0530, Jai Krishna wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Im trying to follow the documentation work of converting to Sphinx etc
> that Jon, Mauro and others are doing ( inferring from the patches
> coming into kernel-docs@ ).
>
> Id like to be able to pull and build the Sphinx based docs, learn and
> possibly even contribute (wish, wish...). However, Im stuck on a very
> mundane thing. Im not quite sure which tree has the latest sources.
>
> I looked at kernel/kernel-docs.git on git.kernel.org but that seems
> stale. Im not quite sure if its kernel/gregkh/staging.git.
>
> Can someone kindly point me to the correct tree that has the latest
> sources of Sphinx docs?

Don't worry, it's not the staging.git tree, that has nothing to do with
the documentation tree :)

Have you looked at MAINTAINERS?  It shows that:
	T:      git git://git.lwn.net/linux.git docs-next
is the tree to look at.  Have you tried that?

thanks,

greg k-h

* Latest kernel documentation tree
@ 2016-10-26  8:55   ` Jai Krishna
From: Jai Krishna @ 2016-10-26  8:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

On Wed, Oct 26, 2016 at 2:03 PM, Greg KH <gregkh@linuxfoundation.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 26, 2016 at 01:33:34PM +0530, Jai Krishna wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Im trying to follow the documentation work of converting to Sphinx etc
>> that Jon, Mauro and others are doing ( inferring from the patches
>> coming into kernel-docs@ ).
>>
>> Id like to be able to pull and build the Sphinx based docs, learn and
>> possibly even contribute (wish, wish...). However, Im stuck on a very
>> mundane thing. Im not quite sure which tree has the latest sources.
>>
>> I looked at kernel/kernel-docs.git on git.kernel.org but that seems
>> stale. Im not quite sure if its kernel/gregkh/staging.git.
>>
>> Can someone kindly point me to the correct tree that has the latest
>> sources of Sphinx docs?
>
> Don't worry, it's not the staging.git tree, that has nothing to do with
> the documentation tree :)
>
> Have you looked at MAINTAINERS?  It shows that:
>         T:      git git://git.lwn.net/linux.git docs-next
> is the tree to look at.  Have you tried that?
>
> thanks,
>
> greg k-h

Doh! Didnt occur to me to look in MAINTAINERS first.

Thats my lesson for the day!

Thank you.

* Latest kernel documentation tree
@ 2016-10-26 11:05     ` Mauro Carvalho Chehab
From: Mauro Carvalho Chehab @ 2016-10-26 11:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Em Wed, 26 Oct 2016 14:25:13 +0530
Jai Krishna <rjk1024@gmail.com> escreveu:

> > Have you looked at MAINTAINERS?  It shows that:
> >         T:      git git://git.lwn.net/linux.git docs-next
> > is the tree to look at.  Have you tried that?
> >
> > thanks,
> >
> > greg k-h
>
> Doh! Didnt occur to me to look in MAINTAINERS first.
>
> Thats my lesson for the day!

Jai, let me hijack this thread, to use it as an example :)

Hi Jon,

That's why I think we should add MAINTAINERS somehow at the documentation...

This is not the first time I've seen someone wanting to contribute
but not being able to find the proper maintainer or development tree,
because he's unaware about the contents of MAINTAINERS.

Regards,
Mauro