* new kernel connection timeouts
@ 2018-02-02 19:52 Michael Di Domenico
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Michael Di Domenico @ 2018-02-02 19:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: target-devel

I recently updated my iscsi target box from redhat kernel
3.10.0-693.11.1.el7 to 3.10.0.693.17.1.el7.  now when i try to bring
up a few dozen iscsi clients at a time several will timeout.  i can't
say where in the iscsi connection it's failing, but if i'm on the
console of the iscsi client, i can rerun the connection script and the
disks will appear.

it almost seems like the connections are queued up on the target and
some don't get one because the queue is full.

i know this isn't a fantastic bug report, but i haven't changed
anything process wise in my environment i was able to boot 30-40
machines at a time.  if i do that now, half or so will fail to see
their disks and i have to reboot them a second time.  at which point
they usually succeed.  either because others have finished or just
luck that they were in the queue at the right time, i'm not sure.

the targetcli version is 2.1.fb46-1.el7

* Re: new kernel connection timeouts
@ 2018-02-05 17:17 ` Mike Christie
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Mike Christie @ 2018-02-05 17:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: target-devel

On 02/02/2018 01:52 PM, Michael Di Domenico wrote:
> I recently updated my iscsi target box from redhat kernel
> 3.10.0-693.11.1.el7 to 3.10.0.693.17.1.el7.  now when i try to bring

Did you update to this kernel on both the target side and initiator side?

> up a few dozen iscsi clients at a time several will timeout.  i can't
> say where in the iscsi connection it's failing, but if i'm on the
> console of the iscsi client, i can rerun the connection script and the
> disks will appear.
>
> it almost seems like the connections are queued up on the target and
> some don't get one because the queue is full.

Do you have the kernel logs from the target side or initiator side? Or,
can you take a wireshark trace during this time?

@ 2018-02-06 13:25 ` Michael Di Domenico
From: Michael Di Domenico @ 2018-02-06 13:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: target-devel

On Mon, Feb 5, 2018 at 12:17 PM, Mike Christie <mchristi@redhat.com> wrote:
> On 02/02/2018 01:52 PM, Michael Di Domenico wrote:
>> I recently updated my iscsi target box from redhat kernel
>> 3.10.0-693.11.1.el7 to 3.10.0.693.17.1.el7.  now when i try to bring
>
> Did you update to this kernel on both the target side and initiator side?

yes, both the client and server were updated to the same version

>> up a few dozen iscsi clients at a time several will timeout.  i can't
>> say where in the iscsi connection it's failing, but if i'm on the
>> console of the iscsi client, i can rerun the connection script and the
>> disks will appear.
>>
>> it almost seems like the connections are queued up on the target and
>> some don't get one because the queue is full.
>
> Do you have the kernel logs from the target side or initiator side? Or,
> can you take a wireshark trace during this time?

i *might* be able to take a trace using tcpdump, but i will not be
able to send you binary version of the output (protected network).  is
there something specific i can look for in the trace?  or can you
narrow a wireshark/tcpdump filter that would allow me to produce a
short ascii file with the data you need?

* Re: new kernel connection timeouts
@ 2018-02-06 18:49 ` Michael Christie
From: Michael Christie @ 2018-02-06 18:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: target-devel

On 02/06/2018 07:25 AM, Michael Di Domenico wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 5, 2018 at 12:17 PM, Mike Christie <mchristi@redhat.com> wrote:
>> On 02/02/2018 01:52 PM, Michael Di Domenico wrote:
>>> I recently updated my iscsi target box from redhat kernel
>>> 3.10.0-693.11.1.el7 to 3.10.0.693.17.1.el7.  now when i try to bring
>>
>> Did you update to this kernel on both the target side and initiator side?
>
> yes, both the client and server were updated to the same version
>

>>> up a few dozen iscsi clients at a time several will timeout.  i can't
>>> say where in the iscsi connection it's failing, but if i'm on the
>>> console of the iscsi client, i can rerun the connection script and the
>>> disks will appear.
>>>
>>> it almost seems like the connections are queued up on the target and
>>> some don't get one because the queue is full.
>>
>> Do you have the kernel logs from the target side or initiator side? Or,
>> can you take a wireshark trace during this time?
>
> i *might* be able to take a trace using tcpdump, but i will not be
> able to send you binary version of the output (protected network).  is
> there something specific i can look for in the trace?  or can you
> narrow a wireshark/tcpdump filter that would allow me to produce a
> short ascii file with the data you need?

Could you just get me the target side kernel logs for when you run the
login test?

On the initiator side what command are you running? Is it just iscsiadm
.... --login? Could you give me the error output?

* Re: new kernel connection timeouts
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2018-02-07 14:54 ` Michael Di Domenico
From: Michael Di Domenico @ 2018-02-07 14:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: target-devel

On Tue, Feb 6, 2018 at 1:49 PM, Michael Christie <mchristi@redhat.com> wrote:
> On 02/06/2018 07:25 AM, Michael Di Domenico wrote:
>>>
>>> Did you update to this kernel on both the target side and initiator side?
>>
>> yes, both the client and server were updated to the same version

>>> Do you have the kernel logs from the target side or initiator side? Or,
>>> can you take a wireshark trace during this time?
>>
>> i *might* be able to take a trace using tcpdump, but i will not be
>> able to send you binary version of the output (protected network).  is
>> there something specific i can look for in the trace?  or can you
>> narrow a wireshark/tcpdump filter that would allow me to produce a
>> short ascii file with the data you need?
>
> Could you just get me the target side kernel logs for when you run the
> login test?

nothing seemed to spit out in the logs this morning on the target
side.  i did just restart the cluster this morning, oddly enough i did
not see the iscsi connection timeouts like i did the other day.
everything went as normal.  so maybe this is a non-issue or something
transient on the network i could not detect

> On the initiator side what command are you running? Is it just iscsiadm
> .... --login? Could you give me the error output?

yes just a login.  no chap/etc settings are enabled