* [Buildroot] 2022.02.1: read-only file system
@ 2022-09-11 17:58 Zvi Vered
From: Zvi Vered @ 2022-09-11 17:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: buildroot

Hello,

I'm using buildroot 2022.02.1 under x86 embedded SBC.
The root file system is located on the on-board disk.
The boot argument contains 'ro' (checked with /proc/cmdline after login)
but the disk is not read-only.

When I used the same boot args with busybox, it worked fine.
Of course with busybox I had to tailor all other mandatory files and
directories.

I need read-only rootfs to defend this embedded system in case of
power-down / cold reset.

Beyond the default configuration, the rootfs also contains ntp client,
httpd, pci tools.

Thank you,
Zvika

* Re: [Buildroot] 2022.02.1: read-only file system
@ 2022-09-17 20:05 ` Arnout Vandecappelle
From: Arnout Vandecappelle @ 2022-09-17 20:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zvi Vered, buildroot

On 11/09/2022 19:58, Zvi Vered wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm using buildroot 2022.02.1 under x86 embedded SBC.
> The root file system is located on the on-board disk.
> The boot argument contains 'ro' (checked with /proc/cmdline after login) but the
> disk is not read-only.

  There is a buildroot config option BR2_TARGET_GENERIC_REMOUNT_ROOTFS_RW which
defaults to enabled. It will remount the rootfs to read-write as part of
processing /etc/fstab. So you should probably turn that option off. Note that if
you use systemd, you'll need to do a clean rebuild before the option is taken
into account.

> When I used the same boot args with busybox, it worked fine.
> Of course with busybox I had to tailor all other mandatory files and directories.
>
> I need read-only rootfs to defend this embedded system in case of power-down /
> cold reset.

  Perhaps you're better off then to use an actual readonly filesystem, like
erofs or squashfs? You have to make sure the corresponding kernel options are
enabled, of course.

  Regards,
  Arnout

@ 2022-09-22  3:10   ` Zvi Vered