* UDP throughput problems with WDS and ath10k
@ 2016-03-23 10:53 Xue Liu
From: Xue Liu @ 2016-03-23 10:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath10k

Hello everyone,

Now I am doing point to point  throughput test using  and ath10k. The
hardwares are clearfog A1 board with armada 388 and WLE900VX (QCA9880).
The OpenWRT trunk is running on it.

At first I did UDP throughput test ( WDS AP <---> WDS Client ) with
iperf3 server on the WDS AP. The throughput is approx 630 Mbps.  But if
the server sends the data, the throughput will rise to 700 Mbps.  I did
the bidirectional test for many times. The UDP data transferring from AP
side always has 70 - 80 Mbps more throughput.

In the same situation, I did UDP throughput test between PC and WDS AP (
PC <---->WDS Client <----> WDS AP ) . The PC is connected with the WDS
client via GbE port.  I have found a more interesting result. The data
throughput is about 678 Mbps when the data is transmitted from AP to PC.
There is almost no performance loss. But the throughput is only about
425 Mpbs from PC to AP.

Can anyone give me some advises or some info about the reason and how to
improve the transmitting performance from PC to AP side. Thank you.

Regards,

Xue Liu

* Re: UDP throughput problems with WDS and ath10k
@ 2016-03-23 16:54 ` Michal Kazior
From: Michal Kazior @ 2016-03-23 16:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xue Liu; +Cc: ath10k

On 23 March 2016 at 11:53, Xue Liu <xue.liu@dks-koeln.de> wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> Now I am doing point to point  throughput test using  and ath10k. The
> hardwares are clearfog A1 board with armada 388 and WLE900VX (QCA9880). The
> OpenWRT trunk is running on it.
>
> At first I did UDP throughput test ( WDS AP <---> WDS Client ) with iperf3
> server on the WDS AP. The throughput is approx 630 Mbps.  But if the server
> sends the data, the throughput will rise to 700 Mbps.  I did the
> bidirectional test for many times. The UDP data transferring from AP side
> always has 70 - 80 Mbps more throughput.
>
> In the same situation, I did UDP throughput test between PC and WDS AP ( PC
> <---->WDS Client <----> WDS AP ) . The PC is connected with the WDS client
> via GbE port.  I have found a more interesting result. The data throughput
> is about 678 Mbps when the data is transmitted from AP to PC. There is
> almost no performance loss. But the throughput is only about 425 Mpbs from
> PC to AP.
>
> Can anyone give me some advises or some info about the reason and how to
> improve the transmitting performance from PC to AP side. Thank you.

This is weird. Did you check CPU utilization on all involved devices
(PC, WDS Client, WDS AP)? Did you try tweaking iperf parameters, e.g.
number of threads, buffer sizes? Playing around with some parameters
could narrow down the problem.

Normally I would expect the reverse performance drop (i.e. slower
performance when traffic is generated locally on WDS Client).

Michał

* Re: UDP throughput problems with WDS and ath10k
@ 2016-03-23 17:20   ` Ben Greear
From: Ben Greear @ 2016-03-23 17:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michal Kazior, Xue Liu; +Cc: ath10k

On 03/23/2016 09:54 AM, Michal Kazior wrote:
> On 23 March 2016 at 11:53, Xue Liu <xue.liu@dks-koeln.de> wrote:
>> Hello everyone,
>>
>> Now I am doing point to point  throughput test using  and ath10k. The
>> hardwares are clearfog A1 board with armada 388 and WLE900VX (QCA9880). The
>> OpenWRT trunk is running on it.
>>
>> At first I did UDP throughput test ( WDS AP <---> WDS Client ) with iperf3
>> server on the WDS AP. The throughput is approx 630 Mbps.  But if the server
>> sends the data, the throughput will rise to 700 Mbps.  I did the
>> bidirectional test for many times. The UDP data transferring from AP side
>> always has 70 - 80 Mbps more throughput.
>>
>> In the same situation, I did UDP throughput test between PC and WDS AP ( PC
>> <---->WDS Client <----> WDS AP ) . The PC is connected with the WDS client
>> via GbE port.  I have found a more interesting result. The data throughput
>> is about 678 Mbps when the data is transmitted from AP to PC. There is
>> almost no performance loss. But the throughput is only about 425 Mpbs from
>> PC to AP.
>>
>> Can anyone give me some advises or some info about the reason and how to
>> improve the transmitting performance from PC to AP side. Thank you.
>
> This is weird. Did you check CPU utilization on all involved devices
> (PC, WDS Client, WDS AP)? Did you try tweaking iperf parameters, e.g.
> number of threads, buffer sizes? Playing around with some parameters
> could narrow down the problem.
>
> Normally I would expect the reverse performance drop (i.e. slower
> performance when traffic is generated locally on WDS Client).

I don't know about WDS, but we definitely see slower upload (from station perspective)
than download rates, using identical hardware for AP and STA devices.

Patches posted to ath10k list yesterday claim to resolve at least some of this,
but I have not tested those yet...

Thanks,
Ben

--
Ben Greear <greearb@candelatech.com>

* Re: UDP throughput problems with WDS and ath10k
@ 2016-03-31 14:36     ` Xue Liu
From: Xue Liu @ 2016-03-31 14:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ben Greear, Michal Kazior; +Cc: ath10k

Hello,

I have test throughput with different 3  parameters. But the results are
similar. The data rate from PC via  Client to the AP decreases
significantly comparing with the reverse direction.

During the test I also obverse the CPU load of client and AP. When the
data is sent from PC, the AP has ~2% CPU load, ~63 nic and ~25% sirq.
The client has ~0% CPU load ~78% nic and ~20% sirq. When the data sent
from AP, the AP has ~1% cpu ~69% nic and 7% sirq. The client has ~0%
cpu, 76% nic and ~24% sirq.

The test diagram is shown as

PC(GbE) --- (GbE)WDS Client (Wireless) --- (Wireless) WDS AP.

Did anyone else tries with such setup ?

@ 2016-03-31 14:49       ` Xue Liu
From: Xue Liu @ 2016-03-31 14:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ben Greear, Michal Kazior; +Cc: ath10k

Sorry. I think I misunderstand the info from "top". I will correct my
result as below:

When the data is sent from PC to AP, the AP has
CPU:   1%    9% sys   0% nic  61% idle   0% io   0% irq  27% sirq
Load average: 0.54 0.46 0.36 2/53 5034

And the client has
CPU:   0% usr   0% sys   0% nic  73% idle   0% io   0% irq  26% sirq
Load average: 0.00 0.01 0.02 1/53 1228

When the data is sent from AP to PC, the AP has
CPU:   1% usr  21% sys   0% nic  70% idle   0% io   0% irq   6% sirq
Load average: 0.79 0.62 0.44 2/53 5282

And the client has
CPU:   0% usr   0% sys   0% nic  74% idle   0% io   0% irq  25% sirq

@ 2016-09-13  9:53 ` Bruno Antunes
From: Bruno Antunes @ 2016-09-13  9:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Xue Liu; +Cc: OpenWrt Development List, ath10k

Hello,

On 23 March 2016 at 10:53, Xue Liu <xue.liu@dks-koeln.de> wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> Now I am doing point to point  throughput test using  and ath10k. The
> hardwares are clearfog A1 board with armada 388 and WLE900VX (QCA9880). The
> OpenWRT trunk is running on it.

Could you tell what is the OpenWrt Release and firmware used?
I'm using trunk R49886 and tried several versions of firmware and stll
can't send traffic trough the WDS link.
The link is established, there is a wlan0.sta1, but there is no L3 traffic.

Thanks,
Bruno