* PROBLEM: linux-firmware provided firmware files do not support AMDVLK driver
@ 2018-04-18  3:16 boomboom psh
       [not found] ` <CABVSYof5NhbY51LYTqnVcv=TFoVPO1QTWuP2XVJed2wBnv7oQA-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: boomboom psh @ 2018-04-18  3:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alex Deucher, David (ChunMing) Zhou, Christian König
  Cc: amd-gfx-PD4FTy7X32lNgt0PjOBp9y5qC8QIuHrW

[1.] linux-firmware provided firmware files do not support AMDVLK driver
[2.] Full description of the problem/report: Vulkan instance fails to load
on the AMDVLK driver, using a radeon HD7770 card. It throws a
VK_ERROR_OUT_OF_HOST_MEMORY. This appears to be due to an outdated
firmware, as replacing the firmware with the firmware provided by the
amdgpu-pro driver fixes the issue (
https://github.com/GPUOpen-Drivers/AMDVLK/issues/17). The issue appears to
also be present on pitcairn cards. (
https://github.com/GPUOpen-Drivers/AMDVLK/issues/25)
[3.] firmware, AMDVLK, vulkan, SI, verde, pitcairn
[4.1.] Linux version 4.15.15-1-ARCH (builduser@heftig-4572) (gcc version
7.3.1 20180312 (GCC)) #1 SMP PREEMPT Sat Mar 31 23:59:25 UTC 2018
[7.] vulkaninfo from
https://github.com/KhronosGroup/Vulkan-LoaderAndValidationLayers
demonstrates the problem
[8.] AMD Ryzen 3 1200, 8GB DDR4, Radeon HD7770 1GB
[X.] Workaround: copy firmware from amdgpupro driver, however this must be
redone every time there is an update to linux-firmware.

* RE: PROBLEM: linux-firmware provided firmware files do not support AMDVLK driver
       [not found] ` <CABVSYof5NhbY51LYTqnVcv=TFoVPO1QTWuP2XVJed2wBnv7oQA-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
@ 2018-04-18  3:54   ` Zhou, David(ChunMing)
From: Zhou, David(ChunMing) @ 2018-04-18  3:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: boomboom psh, Deucher, Alexander, Koenig, Christian
  Cc: amd-gfx-PD4FTy7X32lNgt0PjOBp9y5qC8QIuHrW

As I known, AMDVLK is running on amdgpu driver, not support readon kernel driver.

Regards,
David Zhou

@ 2018-04-18  3:58   ` Alex Deucher
       [not found]     ` <CADnq5_MjEKLVBB13g5F1CE_Fp5x7ZrJvR00_9GT48mQEvLqTZA-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Alex Deucher @ 2018-04-18  3:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: boomboom psh
  Cc: Alex Deucher, David (ChunMing) Zhou, Christian König, amd-gfx list

On Tue, Apr 17, 2018 at 11:16 PM, boomboom psh <andrewstone97@gmail.com> wrote:
> [1.] linux-firmware provided firmware files do not support AMDVLK driver
> [2.] Full description of the problem/report: Vulkan instance fails to load
> on the AMDVLK driver, using a radeon HD7770 card. It throws a
> VK_ERROR_OUT_OF_HOST_MEMORY. This appears to be due to an outdated
> firmware, as replacing the firmware with the firmware provided by the
> amdgpu-pro driver fixes the issue (
> https://github.com/GPUOpen-Drivers/AMDVLK/issues/17). The issue appears to
> also be present on pitcairn cards. (
> https://github.com/GPUOpen-Drivers/AMDVLK/issues/25)
> [3.] firmware, AMDVLK, vulkan, SI, verde, pitcairn
> [4.1.] Linux version 4.15.15-1-ARCH (builduser@heftig-4572) (gcc version
> 7.3.1 20180312 (GCC)) #1 SMP PREEMPT Sat Mar 31 23:59:25 UTC 2018
> [7.] vulkaninfo from
> https://github.com/KhronosGroup/Vulkan-LoaderAndValidationLayers
> demonstrates the problem
> [8.] AMD Ryzen 3 1200, 8GB DDR4, Radeon HD7770 1GB
> [X.] Workaround: copy firmware from amdgpupro driver, however this must be
> redone every time there is an update to linux-firmware.

The newer SI firmware only works with amdgpu right now.  At the moment
the upstream SI firmware is shared with radeon.  We'd need to use
separate firmwares for radeon and amdgpu for SI.  No one has gotten
around to switching it yet.

Alex

@ 2018-04-18 14:43       ` Andrew Stone
From: Andrew Stone @ 2018-04-18 14:43 UTC (permalink / raw)