* bnx2x multicast packet loss on igmp join/leave
@ 2013-04-05 10:13 vincent Richard
From: vincent Richard @ 2013-04-05 10:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: netdev

I all,

I am using a HP server with bnx2x ethernet cards in it.
I have compiled the latest linux 3.2 version, and I am encountering
the following error :

when joining or leaving a multicast group, other multicast streams
lose some packets.

I tried latest firmware and different drivers (latest HP recommended
one (redhat one)) but still the same..

I observe that putting the interface in promiscuous mode make the
problem disappear.

looking around bnx2x_set_rx_mode, i notice that there is 3 rx_mode,
NORMAL, PROMISCUOUS and ALLMULTI . forcing other than normal mode
correct my issue..

My bnx2x is in a blade center so there is a switch just after. So
forcing PROMISCUOUS or ALLMULTI mode have no major impact.

To reproduce the problem I just "listen" 2 multicast streams and
join/leave another one periodically.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Regards,
Vincent

* Re: bnx2x multicast packet loss on igmp join/leave
@ 2013-04-05 12:28 ` Dmitry Kravkov
From: Dmitry Kravkov @ 2013-04-05 12:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: vincent Richard; +Cc: netdev

On Fri, Apr 5, 2013 at 1:13 PM, vincent Richard
<vincent.richard449@gmail.com> wrote:

> I all,
>
> I am using a HP server with bnx2x ethernet cards in it.
> I have compiled the latest linux 3.2 version, and I am encountering
> the following error :
>
> when joining or leaving a multicast group, other multicast streams
> lose some packets.
>
> I tried latest firmware and different drivers (latest HP recommended
> one (redhat one)) but still the same..
>
> I observe that putting the interface in promiscuous mode make the
> problem disappear.
>
> looking around bnx2x_set_rx_mode, i notice that there is 3 rx_mode,
> NORMAL, PROMISCUOUS and ALLMULTI . forcing other than normal mode
> correct my issue..
>
> My bnx2x is in a blade center so there is a switch just after. So
> forcing PROMISCUOUS or ALLMULTI mode have no major impact.
>
> To reproduce the problem I just "listen" 2 multicast streams and
> join/leave another one periodically.
>
> Thanks in advance for your help.
> Regards,
> Vincent

This because on MC group change, bnx2x first removes the devices from
ALL MC groups and then
add the device to newly configured groups:

11112        /* first, clear all configured multicast MACs */
11113        rc = bnx2x_config_mcast(bp, &rparam, BNX2X_MCAST_CMD_DEL);
11114        if (rc < 0) {
11115                BNX2X_ERR("Failed to clear multicast
configuration: %d\n", rc);
11116                return rc;
11117        }
11118
11119        /* then, configure a new MACs list */
11120        if (netdev_mc_count(dev)) {
11121               rc = bnx2x_init_mcast_macs_list(bp, &rparam);

* Re: bnx2x multicast packet loss on igmp join/leave
@ 2013-04-05 13:06   ` vincent Richard
From: vincent Richard @ 2013-04-05 13:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dmitry Kravkov; +Cc: netdev

2013/4/5, Dmitry Kravkov <dkravkov@gmail.com>:
> On Fri, Apr 5, 2013 at 1:13 PM, vincent Richard
> <vincent.richard449@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I all,
>>
>> I am using a HP server with bnx2x ethernet cards in it.
>> I have compiled the latest linux 3.2 version, and I am encountering
>> the following error :
>>
>> when joining or leaving a multicast group, other multicast streams
>> lose some packets.
>>
>> I tried latest firmware and different drivers (latest HP recommended
>> one (redhat one)) but still the same..
>>
>> I observe that putting the interface in promiscuous mode make the
>> problem disappear.
>>
>> looking around bnx2x_set_rx_mode, i notice that there is 3 rx_mode,
>> NORMAL, PROMISCUOUS and ALLMULTI . forcing other than normal mode
>> correct my issue..
>>
>> My bnx2x is in a blade center so there is a switch just after. So
>> forcing PROMISCUOUS or ALLMULTI mode have no major impact.
>>
>> To reproduce the problem I just "listen" 2 multicast streams and
>> join/leave another one periodically.
>>
>> Thanks in advance for your help.
>> Regards,
>> Vincent
>
> This because on MC group change, bnx2x first removes the devices from
> ALL MC groups and then
> add the device to newly configured groups:
>
> 11112        /* first, clear all configured multicast MACs */
> 11113        rc = bnx2x_config_mcast(bp, &rparam, BNX2X_MCAST_CMD_DEL);
> 11114        if (rc < 0) {
> 11115                BNX2X_ERR("Failed to clear multicast
> configuration: %d\n", rc);
> 11116                return rc;
> 11117        }
> 11118
> 11119        /* then, configure a new MACs list */
> 11120        if (netdev_mc_count(dev)) {
> 11121               rc = bnx2x_init_mcast_macs_list(bp, &rparam);

Thanks for the quick answer, BTW I am very surprised of this behavior.
It is the first time I encounter (or see) this.