* maintanance on osd host
@ 2013-02-26 14:56 Stefan Priebe - Profihost AG
       [not found] ` <512CCD19.7010509-2Lf/h1ldwEHR5kwTpVNS9A@public.gmane.org>
From: Stefan Priebe - Profihost AG @ 2013-02-26 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ceph-devel

Hi list,

how can i do a short maintanance like a kernel upgrade on an osd host?
Right now ceph starts to backfill immediatly if i say:
ceph osd out 41

Without ceph osd out command all clients hang for the time ceph does not
know that the host was rebootet.

I tried
ceph osd set nodown and ceph osd set noout
but this doesn't result in any difference

Stefan

* Re: maintanance on osd host
       [not found] ` <512CCD19.7010509-2Lf/h1ldwEHR5kwTpVNS9A@public.gmane.org>
@ 2013-02-26 15:09   ` Andrey Korolyov
From: Andrey Korolyov @ 2013-02-26 15:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Priebe - Profihost AG
  Cc: ceph-devel-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA, ceph-users-idqoXFIVOFJgJs9I8MT0rw

On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 6:56 PM, Stefan Priebe - Profihost AG
<s.priebe-2Lf/h1ldwEHR5kwTpVNS9A@public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> how can i do a short maintanance like a kernel upgrade on an osd host?
> Right now ceph starts to backfill immediatly if i say:
> ceph osd out 41
>
> Without ceph osd out command all clients hang for the time ceph does not
> know that the host was rebootet.
>
> I tried
> ceph osd set nodown and ceph osd set noout
> but this doesn't result in any difference

Hi Stefan,

in my practice nodown will freeze all I/O for sure until OSD will
return, killing osd process and setting ``mon osd down out interval''
large enough will do the trick - you`ll get only two small freezes on
the peering process at start and at the end. Also it is very strange
that your clients hanging for a long time - I have set non-optimal
values for purpose and was not able to observe re-peering process
longer than a minute.

* Re: maintanance on osd host
       [not found] ` <512CCD19.7010509-2Lf/h1ldwEHR5kwTpVNS9A@public.gmane.org>
@ 2013-02-26 17:06 ` Sage Weil
From: Sage Weil @ 2013-02-26 17:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Priebe - Profihost AG; +Cc: ceph-devel

On Tue, 26 Feb 2013, Stefan Priebe - Profihost AG wrote:
> Hi list,
>
> how can i do a short maintanance like a kernel upgrade on an osd host?
> Right now ceph starts to backfill immediatly if i say:
> ceph osd out 41
>
> Without ceph osd out command all clients hang for the time ceph does not
> know that the host was rebootet.
>
> I tried
> ceph osd set nodown and ceph osd set noout
> but this doesn't result in any difference

For a temporary event like this, you want the osd to be down (so that io
can continue with remaining replicas) but NOT to mark it out (so that data
doesn't get rebalanced).  The simplest way to do that is

 ceph osd set noout
 killall ceph-osd
 .. reboot ..

Just remember to do

 ceph osd unset noout

when you are done so that future osds that fail will get marked out on
their own after the 5 minute (default) interval.

sage

* Re: maintanance on osd host
@ 2013-02-26 17:22   ` Stefan Priebe - Profihost AG
From: Stefan Priebe - Profihost AG @ 2013-02-26 17:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sage Weil; +Cc: ceph-devel

But that redults in a 1-3s hickup for all KVM vms. This is not what I want.

Stefan

Am 26.02.2013 um 18:06 schrieb Sage Weil <sage@inktank.com>:

> On Tue, 26 Feb 2013, Stefan Priebe - Profihost AG wrote:
>> Hi list,
>>
>> how can i do a short maintanance like a kernel upgrade on an osd host?
>> Right now ceph starts to backfill immediatly if i say:
>> ceph osd out 41
>>
>> Without ceph osd out command all clients hang for the time ceph does not
>> know that the host was rebootet.
>>
>> I tried
>> ceph osd set nodown and ceph osd set noout
>> but this doesn't result in any difference
>
> For a temporary event like this, you want the osd to be down (so that io
> can continue with remaining replicas) but NOT to mark it out (so that data
> doesn't get rebalanced).  The simplest way to do that is
>
> ceph osd set noout
> killall ceph-osd
> .. reboot ..
>
> Just remember to do
>
> ceph osd unset noout
>
> when you are done so that future osds that fail will get marked out on
> their own after the 5 minute (default) interval.
>
> sage

* Re: maintanance on osd host
@ 2013-02-26 17:24     ` Sage Weil
From: Sage Weil @ 2013-02-26 17:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Priebe - Profihost AG; +Cc: ceph-devel

On Tue, 26 Feb 2013, Stefan Priebe - Profihost AG wrote:
> But that redults in a 1-3s hickup for all KVM vms. This is not what I want.

You can do

 kill $pid
 ceph osd down $osdid

(or even reverse the order, if the sequence is quick enough) to avoid
waiting for the failure detection delay.  But if the OSDs are going down,
then the peering has to happen one way or another.

sage

> Stefan
>
> Am 26.02.2013 um 18:06 schrieb Sage Weil <sage@inktank.com>:
>
> > On Tue, 26 Feb 2013, Stefan Priebe - Profihost AG wrote:
> >> Hi list,
> >>
> >> how can i do a short maintanance like a kernel upgrade on an osd host?
> >> Right now ceph starts to backfill immediatly if i say:
> >> ceph osd out 41
> >>
> >> Without ceph osd out command all clients hang for the time ceph does not
> >> know that the host was rebootet.
> >>
> >> I tried
> >> ceph osd set nodown and ceph osd set noout
> >> but this doesn't result in any difference
> >
> > For a temporary event like this, you want the osd to be down (so that io
> > can continue with remaining replicas) but NOT to mark it out (so that data
> > doesn't get rebalanced).  The simplest way to do that is
> >
> > ceph osd set noout
> > killall ceph-osd
> > .. reboot ..
> >
> > Just remember to do
> >
> > ceph osd unset noout
> >
> > when you are done so that future osds that fail will get marked out on
> > their own after the 5 minute (default) interval.
> >
> > sage
> >
> > --

* Re: maintanance on osd host
@ 2013-02-26 19:44       ` Stefan Priebe
From: Stefan Priebe @ 2013-02-26 19:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sage Weil; +Cc: ceph-devel

Hi Sage,

Am 26.02.2013 18:24, schrieb Sage Weil:
> On Tue, 26 Feb 2013, Stefan Priebe - Profihost AG wrote:
>> But that redults in a 1-3s hickup for all KVM vms. This is not what I want.
>
> You can do
>
>   kill $pid
>   ceph osd down $osdid
>
> (or even reverse the order, if the sequence is quick enough) to avoid
> waiting for the failure detection delay.  But if the OSDs are going down,
> then the peering has to happen one way or another.

But exaclty this results in starting backfill immediatly. My idea was to
first mark the osd down so the mon knows about this fact. So no I/O is
stalled. And then reboot the whole host but exactly this does not work
like expected as backfilling is starting immediatly after setting the
osd to down ;-(

Greets,
Stefan

* Re: maintanance on osd host
@ 2013-02-26 20:02         ` Sage Weil
From: Sage Weil @ 2013-02-26 20:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Priebe; +Cc: ceph-devel

On Tue, 26 Feb 2013, Stefan Priebe wrote:
> Hi Sage,
>
> Am 26.02.2013 18:24, schrieb Sage Weil:
> > On Tue, 26 Feb 2013, Stefan Priebe - Profihost AG wrote:
> > > But that redults in a 1-3s hickup for all KVM vms. This is not what I
> > > want.
> >
> > You can do
> >
> >   kill $pid
> >   ceph osd down $osdid
> >
> > (or even reverse the order, if the sequence is quick enough) to avoid
> > waiting for the failure detection delay.  But if the OSDs are going down,
> > then the peering has to happen one way or another.
>
> But exaclty this results in starting backfill immediatly. My idea was to first
> mark the osd down so the mon knows about this fact. So no I/O is stalled. And
> then reboot the whole host but exactly this does not work like expected as
> backfilling is starting immediatly after setting the osd to down ;-(

Backfilling should not happen on down, unless you have reconfigured 'mon
osd down out interval = 0' or something along those lines.  Setting the
'noout' flag will also prevent the osds from marking out.

As for limiting the IO stall: you could also do 'ceph osd set noup',
then mark them down, then kill the daemon, and you won't have to worry
about racing with the daemon marking itself back up (as it normally does).

sage

* Re: maintanance on osd host
@ 2013-02-26 20:27         ` Gregory Farnum
From: Gregory Farnum @ 2013-02-26 20:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Priebe; +Cc: Sage Weil, ceph-devel

On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 11:44 AM, Stefan Priebe <s.priebe@profihost.ag> wrote:
> Hi Sage,
>
> Am 26.02.2013 18:24, schrieb Sage Weil:
>
>> On Tue, 26 Feb 2013, Stefan Priebe - Profihost AG wrote:
>>>
>>> But that redults in a 1-3s hickup for all KVM vms. This is not what I
>>> want.
>>

>> You can do
>>
>>   kill $pid
>>   ceph osd down $osdid
>>
>> (or even reverse the order, if the sequence is quick enough) to avoid
>> waiting for the failure detection delay.  But if the OSDs are going down,
>> then the peering has to happen one way or another.
>

> But exaclty this results in starting backfill immediatly. My idea was to
> first mark the osd down so the mon knows about this fact. So no I/O is
> stalled. And then reboot the whole host but exactly this does not work like
> expected as backfilling is starting immediatly after setting the osd to down
> ;-(

"out" and "down" are quite different — are you sure you tried "down"
and not "out"? (You reference out in your first email, rather than
down.)
-Greg

* Re: maintanance on osd host
@ 2013-02-27  7:37           ` Stefan Priebe - Profihost AG
From: Stefan Priebe - Profihost AG @ 2013-02-27  7:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gregory Farnum; +Cc: Sage Weil, ceph-devel

Hi Greg,
  Hi Sage,

Am 26.02.2013 21:27, schrieb Gregory Farnum:
> On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 11:44 AM, Stefan Priebe <s.priebe@profihost.ag> wrote:
> "out" and "down" are quite different — are you sure you tried "down"
> and not "out"? (You reference out in your first email, rather than
> down.)
> -Greg

sorry that's it i misread down / out. Sorry. Wouldn't it make sense to
mark the osd automatically down when shutting down via the init script?
It doesn't seem to make sense to hope for the automatic detection when
somebody uses the init script.

Stefan

* Re: maintanance on osd host
@ 2013-02-28 16:14             ` Gregory Farnum
From: Gregory Farnum @ 2013-02-28 16:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefan Priebe - Profihost AG; +Cc: Sage Weil, ceph-devel

On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 11:37 PM, Stefan Priebe - Profihost AG
<s.priebe@profihost.ag> wrote:
> Hi Greg,
>   Hi Sage,
>
> Am 26.02.2013 21:27, schrieb Gregory Farnum:
>> On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 11:44 AM, Stefan Priebe <s.priebe@profihost.ag> wrote:
>> "out" and "down" are quite different — are you sure you tried "down"
>> and not "out"? (You reference out in your first email, rather than
>> down.)
>> -Greg
>
> sorry that's it i misread down / out. Sorry. Wouldn't it make sense to
> mark the osd automatically down when shutting down via the init script?
> It doesn't seem to make sense to hope for the automatic detection when
> somebody uses the init script.

Yes, yes it would. http://tracker.ceph.com/issues/4267 :)
-Greg

* Re: maintanance on osd host
@ 2013-03-01 19:40               ` John Wilkins
From: John Wilkins @ 2013-03-01 19:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gregory Farnum; +Cc: Stefan Priebe - Profihost AG, Sage Weil, ceph-devel

I have it documented here:

http://ceph.com/docs/master/rados/operations/troubleshooting-osd/#stopping-w-out-rebalancing

Let me know if this works for you.

On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 8:14 AM, Gregory Farnum <greg@inktank.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 11:37 PM, Stefan Priebe - Profihost AG
> <s.priebe@profihost.ag> wrote:
>> Hi Greg,
>>   Hi Sage,
>>
>> Am 26.02.2013 21:27, schrieb Gregory Farnum:
>>> On Tue, Feb 26, 2013 at 11:44 AM, Stefan Priebe <s.priebe@profihost.ag> wrote:
>>> "out" and "down" are quite different — are you sure you tried "down"
>>> and not "out"? (You reference out in your first email, rather than
>>> down.)
>>> -Greg
>>
>> sorry that's it i misread down / out. Sorry. Wouldn't it make sense to
>> mark the osd automatically down when shutting down via the init script?
>> It doesn't seem to make sense to hope for the automatic detection when
>> somebody uses the init script.
>
> Yes, yes it would. http://tracker.ceph.com/issues/4267 :)
> -Greg

John Wilkins
Senior Technical Writer
Intank
john.wilkins@inktank.com
(415) 425-9599

* Re: maintanance on osd host
@ 2013-03-01 20:38                 ` Sylvain Munaut
From: Sylvain Munaut @ 2013-03-01 20:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: John Wilkins
  Cc: Gregory Farnum, Stefan Priebe - Profihost AG, Sage Weil, ceph-devel

Hi,

> I have it documented here:
>
> http://ceph.com/docs/master/rados/operations/troubleshooting-osd/#stopping-w-out-rebalancing

That looks wrong to me

AFAIU it should be 'noout'. You want it marked down ASAP.

Cheers,

    Sylvain

* Re: maintanance on osd host
@ 2013-03-01 23:10                   ` John Wilkins
From: John Wilkins @ 2013-03-01 23:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sylvain Munaut
  Cc: Gregory Farnum, Stefan Priebe - Profihost AG, Sage Weil, ceph-devel

thanks. I've updated the docs accordingly. The change should be up in
a few minutes.

--
John Wilkins
Senior Technical Writer