* KVM pci-assign - iommu width is not sufficient for mapped address
@ 2016-01-07 10:18 Shyam
From: Shyam @ 2016-01-07 10:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kvm

Hi All,

We are using Linux Kernel 3.18.19 for running KVM VM's with
pci-assign'ed SRIOV VF interfaces.

We understand that VFIO is the new recommended way, but unfortunately
it reduces performance significantly on our IO workloads (upto the
order of 40-50%) when compared to pci-passthrough. We run trusted VM's
& expose services to the external world. Since we control the VM's,
IOMMU security with VFIO is not exactly mandatory, but performance is
much more important that we get with pci-assign.

We observe a strange behaviour that has already been discussed in this
forum which is upon a VM spawn it causes the following fault resulting
in qemu-kvm crashing

Jan  7 09:41:57 q6-s1 kernel: [90037.228477] intel_iommu_map: iommu
width (48) is not sufficient for the mapped address (fffffffffe001000)
Jan  7 09:41:57 q6-s1 kernel: [90037.308229]
kvm_iommu_map_address:iommu failed to map pfn=95000

We observe that this problem happens only if guest linux running 3.5
kernel is spun up & this problem doesnt happen when running guest
linux with 3.6 kernel (i.e. all guest with kernels like 3.2 etc up
till 3.5 causes the above crash whereas any guest kernel >=3.6 doesnt
cause this issue).

So something changed between kernel 3.5 to 3.6 in the guest that
doesnt expose this problem. We have two questions:
1 - we understand that VFIO suffered a similar problem & it was fixed
with https://github.com/qemu/qemu/commit/d3a2fd9b29e43e202315d5e99399b99622469c4a.
Alex Williamson suggested that KVM driver needs an equivalent version
of the fix. Can anybody suggest hints on where this fix should be
made?
2 - Any insights on what changes in linux kernel between 3.5 to 3.6 on
the guest that avoids this problem?

Any helps/input greatly appreciated. Thanks!

--Shyam