* precise details on processing of multiple .bbappend files across multiple layers?
@ 2016-04-22 22:47 Robert P. J. Day
From: Robert P. J. Day @ 2016-04-22 22:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

  i realize i should know the answer to this, but it's friday and i'm
tired. i want to know the precise processing order for the bbappend
files for a single recipe over multiple layers. (i realize it's
already a bad design if i have so many bbappend files for the same
recipe that i get confused knowing how they're processed. :-)

  if i have a recipe, say, rday_1.2.3.bb, and numerous rday*bbappend
files spread across several layers, i already know that those layers
are processed in increasing priority, so that higher-priority layers
will overwrite the settings of lower-priority layers. so far, so good.

  now, in each layer, the selection of any bbappend file will be based
on specificity, so in my case, selection order might be:

  * rday_1.2.3.bbappend
  * rday_1.%.bbappend
  * rday_%.bbappend

and as long as that's true, i'm assuming that search order is
restarted for each layer, so that if i have:

  * layer priority 5, rday_1.2.%.bbappend
  * layer priority 6, rday_1.%.bbappend

the first of the above will be processed, but will be superseded by
the second even though it is a more generic wildcard, correct?

  finally, if i have multiple layers with the same priority, what is
the processing order of bbappend files there? is it random? based on
wildcard specificity?

  thanks muchly.

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca

* Re: precise details on processing of multiple .bbappend files across multiple layers?
@ 2016-04-22 23:18 ` Christopher Larson
From: Christopher Larson @ 2016-04-22 23:18 UTC (permalink / raw)