* How to determine which tasks bitbake just ran?
@ 2014-06-12 18:53 Patrick Doyle
From: Patrick Doyle @ 2014-06-12 18:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

I'm sure I'll get tired of looking at this eventually, and learn to
love the normal ncurses style interface of bitbake.  But things are
still new enough to me that I want to know what's going on.

As you know, when we bitbake a recipe, we see lots of messages about
individual tasks that are run as they are being run (do_fetch,
do_configure, etc…), and then a final summary message that reads
something like:

NOTE: Tasks Summary: Attempted 690 tasks of which 677 didn't need to
be rerun and all succeeded.

I'm curious:
1) What were the 13 tasks that ran?
2) Why are there 690 tasks for my simple recipe anyway?

Is there some way to preserve the list of 13 tasks that were run?  Are
they listed in a logfile through which I could grep "running task
<blah>" or "task <blah> skipped"?

Also, as I've been playing with my simple recipe, I find myself
frequently wanting to start from a totally clean slate, so I

$ bitbake myrecipe -c cleanall

But I notice that tmp/work/arm<TAB>/myrecipe still exists, so, in my
paranoia, I like to rm -rf tmp/work/arm<TAB>/myrecipe just to make
sure that my clean slate really is clean.  I don't see a
"cleanevenmorethanall" task listed with -c listtasks.
1) Is there any harm done in rm -rf tmp/work/arm<TAB>/myrecipe?
2) Is there an eqivalent to a cleanevenmorethanall task that would do
that for me?

--wpd

* Re: How to determine which tasks bitbake just ran?
@ 2014-06-12 19:00 ` Burton, Ross
From: Burton, Ross @ 2014-06-12 19:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patrick Doyle; +Cc: yocto

On 12 June 2014 19:53, Patrick Doyle <wpdster@gmail.com> wrote:
> As you know, when we bitbake a recipe, we see lots of messages about
> individual tasks that are run as they are being run (do_fetch,
> do_configure, etc…), and then a final summary message that reads
> something like:
>
> NOTE: Tasks Summary: Attempted 690 tasks of which 677 didn't need to
> be rerun and all succeeded.
>
> I'm curious:
> 1) What were the 13 tasks that ran?
> 2) Why are there 690 tasks for my simple recipe anyway?

You want to see the cooker log.

If you want to see that as it happens, then for a one-off you can
convince bitbake that it's not running on a vt (bitbake foo | cat -).

After the event, the cooker logs are in
tmp/logs/cooker/[machine]/[timestamp].log.  For convenience, Chris
Larson's excellent 'bb' command has a 'log' mode that if given no
arguments will display the latest cooker log.

Ross

* Re: How to determine which tasks bitbake just ran?
@ 2014-06-12 19:06   ` Christopher Larson
From: Christopher Larson @ 2014-06-12 19:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Burton, Ross; +Cc: yocto

On Thu, Jun 12, 2014 at 12:00 PM, Burton, Ross <ross.burton@intel.com>
wrote:

> On 12 June 2014 19:53, Patrick Doyle <wpdster@gmail.com> wrote:
> > As you know, when we bitbake a recipe, we see lots of messages about
> > individual tasks that are run as they are being run (do_fetch,
> > do_configure, etc…), and then a final summary message that reads
> > something like:
> >
> > NOTE: Tasks Summary: Attempted 690 tasks of which 677 didn't need to
> > be rerun and all succeeded.
> >
> > I'm curious:
> > 1) What were the 13 tasks that ran?
> > 2) Why are there 690 tasks for my simple recipe anyway?
>
> You want to see the cooker log.
>
> If you want to see that as it happens, then for a one-off you can
> convince bitbake that it's not running on a vt (bitbake foo | cat -).
>
> After the event, the cooker logs are in
> tmp/logs/cooker/[machine]/[timestamp].log.  For convenience, Chris
> Larson's excellent 'bb' command has a 'log' mode that if given no
> arguments will display the latest cooker log.

The new Toaster is pretty great at examining what your build did, if you
ran your build in toaster context, afaik. I haven't spent much time playing
with it, but it does seem like it's intended to answer just these sort of
questions.
--
Christopher Larson
clarson at kergoth dot com

* Re: How to determine which tasks bitbake just ran?
@ 2014-06-12 19:52     ` Patrick Doyle
From: Patrick Doyle @ 2014-06-12 19:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Christopher Larson; +Cc: yocto

Thanks.

bitbake foo | cat

is most likely to be what I was looking for.  I found the cooker log
shortly after I asked my question.  I'll go look through bitbake and
see what it would take to create a symbolic link to the most recent
logfile, as is done with the logfiles for the individual tasks.

I'll also go see what I can learn about Toaster.

--wpd

@ 2014-06-13  8:37       ` Paul Eggleton
From: Paul Eggleton @ 2014-06-13  8:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patrick Doyle; +Cc: yocto, Christopher Larson

On Thursday 12 June 2014 15:52:10 Patrick Doyle wrote:
> Thanks.
>
> bitbake foo | cat
>
> is most likely to be what I was looking for.  I found the cooker log
> shortly after I asked my question.  I'll go look through bitbake and
> see what it would take to create a symbolic link to the most recent
> logfile, as is done with the logfiles for the individual tasks.

I'd really like to see this symlink added too FWIW, so +1 :)

Cheers,
Paul

--

Paul Eggleton
Intel Open Source Technology Centre

* Re: How to determine which tasks bitbake just ran?
@ 2014-08-04  9:40 ` Barros Pena, Belen
From: Barros Pena, Belen @ 2014-08-04  9:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patrick Doyle, yocto

On 12/06/2014 19:53, "Patrick Doyle" <wpdster@gmail.com> wrote:

>But I notice that tmp/work/arm<TAB>/myrecipe still exists, so, in my
>paranoia, I like to rm -rf tmp/work/arm<TAB>/myrecipe just to make
>sure that my clean slate really is clean

Toaster might help with that paranoia thing too ;) It will show you which
tasks are running from scratch (your clean slate really is clean) and
which ones are reusing artefacts.

Cheers

Belén