* Where is libunique?
@ 2015-09-07  9:13 Mike Looijmans
From: Mike Looijmans @ 2015-09-07  9:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

Current meta-openembedded master fails to build with errors like this:

ERROR: Nothing PROVIDES 'libunique' (but
.../meta-oe/meta-gnome/recipes-gnome/gnome-disk-utility/gnome-disk-utility_2.32.0.bb
DEPENDS on or otherwise requires it).

Searching for 'unique' in meta-openembedded and openembedded-core reveiled
nothing that would provide it, there's no recipe with 'unique' in its name,
nor any recipe that mentions the word 'unique' provides it, even though I
found various recipes that DEPEND on it.

Where is libunique?

Kind regards,

Mike Looijmans
System Expert

TOPIC Embedded Products
Eindhovenseweg 32-C, NL-5683 KH Best
Postbus 440, NL-5680 AK Best
Telefoon: +31 (0) 499 33 69 79
Telefax: +31 (0) 499 33 69 70
E-mail: mike.looijmans@topicproducts.com
Website: www.topicproducts.com

* Re: Where is libunique?
@ 2015-09-07 12:33 ` Alexander Kanavin
From: Alexander Kanavin @ 2015-09-07 12:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

On 09/07/2015 12:13 PM, Mike Looijmans wrote:
> Current meta-openembedded master fails to build with errors like this:
>
> ERROR: Nothing PROVIDES 'libunique' (but
> .../meta-oe/meta-gnome/recipes-gnome/gnome-disk-utility/gnome-disk-utility_2.32.0.bb
> DEPENDS on or otherwise requires it).
>
> Searching for 'unique' in meta-openembedded and openembedded-core
> reveiled nothing that would provide it, there's no recipe with 'unique'
> in its name, nor any recipe that mentions the word 'unique' provides it,
> even though I found various recipes that DEPEND on it.
>
> Where is libunique?

You should check not just the current state of master branches of
various layers, but also their commit history.

libunique was just removed from oe-core and a patch was sent to add it
to meta-oe. There is no way to keep the removal/addition perfectly in
sync because the two layers are kept in separate repos and have
different maintainers.

Regards,
Alex

* Re: Where is libunique?
@ 2015-09-07 15:09   ` Martin Jansa
From: Martin Jansa @ 2015-09-07 15:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

On Mon, Sep 07, 2015 at 03:33:09PM +0300, Alexander Kanavin wrote:
> On 09/07/2015 12:13 PM, Mike Looijmans wrote:
> > Current meta-openembedded master fails to build with errors like this:
> >
> > ERROR: Nothing PROVIDES 'libunique' (but
> > .../meta-oe/meta-gnome/recipes-gnome/gnome-disk-utility/gnome-disk-utility_2.32.0.bb
> > DEPENDS on or otherwise requires it).
> >
> > Searching for 'unique' in meta-openembedded and openembedded-core
> > reveiled nothing that would provide it, there's no recipe with 'unique'
> > in its name, nor any recipe that mentions the word 'unique' provides it,
> > even though I found various recipes that DEPEND on it.
> >
> > Where is libunique?
>
> You should check not just the current state of master branches of
> various layers, but also their commit history.
>
> libunique was just removed from oe-core and a patch was sent to add it
> to meta-oe. There is no way to keep the removal/addition perfectly in
> sync because the two layers are kept in separate repos and have
> different maintainers.

This case can be prevented by adding it to meta-oe before it's removed
from oe-core (just like when someone is migrating recipes from meta-oe
to oe-core, they are first added to oe-core and then removed from
meta-oe).

Martin 'JaMa' Jansa     jabber: Martin.Jansa@gmail.com

* Re: Where is libunique?
@ 2015-09-07 15:23     ` Christopher Larson
From: Christopher Larson @ 2015-09-07 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Openembedded Discussion

On Mon, Sep 7, 2015 at 8:09 AM, Martin Jansa <martin.jansa@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 07, 2015 at 03:33:09PM +0300, Alexander Kanavin wrote:
> > On 09/07/2015 12:13 PM, Mike Looijmans wrote:
> > > Current meta-openembedded master fails to build with errors like this:
> > >
> > > ERROR: Nothing PROVIDES 'libunique' (but
> > > .../meta-oe/meta-gnome/recipes-gnome/gnome-disk-utility/
> gnome-disk-utility_2.32.0.bb
> > > DEPENDS on or otherwise requires it).
> > >
> > > Searching for 'unique' in meta-openembedded and openembedded-core
> > > reveiled nothing that would provide it, there's no recipe with 'unique'
> > > in its name, nor any recipe that mentions the word 'unique' provides
> it,
> > > even though I found various recipes that DEPEND on it.
> > >
> > > Where is libunique?
> >
> > You should check not just the current state of master branches of
> > various layers, but also their commit history.
> >
> > libunique was just removed from oe-core and a patch was sent to add it
> > to meta-oe. There is no way to keep the removal/addition perfectly in
> > sync because the two layers are kept in separate repos and have
> > different maintainers.
>
> This case can be prevented by adding it to meta-oe before it's removed
> from oe-core (just like when someone is migrating recipes from meta-oe
> to oe-core, they are first added to oe-core and then removed from
> meta-oe).

Indeed, it should always be added before it's removed, then the worst case
is duplication rather than the recipe missing.
--
Christopher Larson
clarson at kergoth dot com

* Re: Where is libunique?
@ 2015-09-07 17:25     ` Mike Looijmans
From: Mike Looijmans @ 2015-09-07 17:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openembedded-devel

On 07-09-15 17:09, Martin Jansa wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 07, 2015 at 03:33:09PM +0300, Alexander Kanavin wrote:
>> On 09/07/2015 12:13 PM, Mike Looijmans wrote:
>>> Current meta-openembedded master fails to build with errors like this:
>>>
>>> ERROR: Nothing PROVIDES 'libunique' (but
>>> .../meta-oe/meta-gnome/recipes-gnome/gnome-disk-utility/gnome-disk-utility_2.32.0.bb
>>> DEPENDS on or otherwise requires it).
>>>
>>> Searching for 'unique' in meta-openembedded and openembedded-core
>>> reveiled nothing that would provide it, there's no recipe with 'unique'
>>> in its name, nor any recipe that mentions the word 'unique' provides it,
>>> even though I found various recipes that DEPEND on it.
>>>
>>> Where is libunique?
>>
>> You should check not just the current state of master branches of
>> various layers, but also their commit history.

Oh sure, make it my fault.
FYI, I did look in the log, and I didn't find anything about libunique
in the meta-openembedded repo. It somehow never occured to me to go look
for it in other repos too.

>> libunique was just removed from oe-core and a patch was sent to add it
>> to meta-oe. There is no way to keep the removal/addition perfectly in
>> sync because the two layers are kept in separate repos and have
>> different maintainers.
>
> This case can be prevented by adding it to meta-oe before it's removed
> from oe-core (just like when someone is migrating recipes from meta-oe
> to oe-core, they are first added to oe-core and then removed from
> meta-oe).

I was going to suggest that too.

Maybe this would make a good entry for the maintainers handbook?

--
Mike Looijmans