* Xen Coding style
@ 2020-05-07 14:43 Julien Grall
From: Julien Grall @ 2020-05-07 14:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: committers; +Cc: xen-devel, Woodhouse, David, paul

Hi all,

This was originally discussed during the last community call.

A major part of the comments during review is related to coding style
issues. This can lead to frustration from the contributor as the current
CODING_STYLE is quite light and the choice often down to a matter of
taste from the maintainers.

In the past, Lars tried to address the problem by introducing a coding
style checker (see [1] and [2]). However, the work came to stop because
we couldn't agree on what is Xen coding style.

I would like to suggest a different approach. Rather than trying to
agree on all the rules one by one, I propose to have a vote on different
coding styles and pick the preferred one.

The list of coding styles would come from the community. It could be
coding styles already used in the open source community or new coding
styles (for instance a contributor could write down his/her
understanding of Xen Coding Style).

Are the committers happy with this appraoch? If so, I could send a
formal call for coding style?

Cheers,

[1] <20190718144317.23307-1-tamas@tklengyel.com>
[2] <CAOcoXZavLnHhNc7mmHnO5Gi_vq-0j1FCgvpXh0NimAewXX8e1g@mail.gmail.com>