* [dm-crypt] Boot problem, after encrypting swap.
@ 2018-10-22 14:45 Γιώργος Κωστόπουλος
From: Γιώργος Κωστόπουλος @ 2018-10-22 14:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dm-crypt

Hi! :-)

I just installed cryptsetup from repositories (Devuan x64) and
successfully encrypted my swap partition.
(on a single usual sata disk with 5 partitions. Swap is on sda6.
Logical partition).

Everything seems to work perfectly (when system starts, the partition
is encrypted and activated), with only one problem:
At every boot, I'm getting the error message: "Gave up waiting for
suspend/resume device"  (and the respective delay).
I tried the option noearly, but it didn't make any difference.

My crypttab (according to the FAQ) is: "cswap1 /dev/sda6 /dev/urandom
swap,cipher=aes-xts-plain64,size=256,hash=sha1"

Any thought?
Is it a bug? Maybe I missconfigured something?
TIA! :-)
G.

* Re: [dm-crypt] Boot problem, after encrypting swap.
@ 2018-10-22 19:00 ` David Christensen
From: David Christensen @ 2018-10-22 19:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dm-crypt

On 10/22/18 7:45 AM, Γιώργος Κωστόπουλος wrote:
> Hi! :-)
>
> I just installed cryptsetup from repositories (Devuan x64) and
> successfully encrypted my swap partition.
> (on a single usual sata disk with 5 partitions. Swap is on sda6.
> Logical partition).
>
> Everything seems to work perfectly (when system starts, the partition
> is encrypted and activated), with only one problem:
> At every boot, I'm getting the error message: "Gave up waiting for
> suspend/resume device"  (and the respective delay).
> I tried the option noearly, but it didn't make any difference.
>
> My crypttab (according to the FAQ) is: "cswap1 /dev/sda6 /dev/urandom
> swap,cipher=aes-xts-plain64,size=256,hash=sha1"
>
> Any thought?
> Is it a bug? Maybe I missconfigured something?
> TIA! :-)
> G.

I saw that on Debian last year.  The problem is related to sleep/
suspend/ resume/ hibernation/ whatever I don't want or need.  My notes
for making it go away follow.

David

August 18, 2017

1.  Implement fix for "Gave up waiting for suspend/resume device":

         2017-08-18 17:34:35 root@dipsy
~/dipsy.tracy.holgerdanske.com/etc/default
         # vi /etc/default/grub

             GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT=""
             GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="noresume"

         2017-08-18 17:35:07 root@dipsy
~/dipsy.tracy.holgerdanske.com/etc/default
         # update-grub
         Generating grub configuration file ...
         Found background image: .background_cache.png
         Found linux image: /boot/vmlinuz-4.9.0-3-amd64
         Found initrd image: /boot/initrd.img-4.9.0-3-amd64
         done

     Reboot -- fixed.

* Re: [dm-crypt] Boot problem, after encrypting swap.
@ 2018-10-22 19:33   ` Michael Kjörling
From: Michael Kjörling @ 2018-10-22 19:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dm-crypt

On 22 Oct 2018 12:00 -0700, from dpchrist@holgerdanske.com (David Christensen):
> I saw that on Debian last year.  The problem is related to sleep/ suspend/
> resume/ hibernation/ whatever I don't want or need.  My notes for making it
> go away follow.

An alternative way to make it go away, at least on Debian, is to add a
file (or edit in place) such as /etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/resume. In
it, set:

RESUME=none

Then regenerate your initramfs: sudo update-initramfs -u

That worked for me.

--
Michael Kjörling • https://michael.kjorling.se • michael@kjorling.se
  “The most dangerous thought that you can have as a creative person

* Re: [dm-crypt] Boot problem, after encrypting swap [SOLVED].
@ 2018-10-23  0:18     ` Γιώργος Κωστόπουλος
From: Γιώργος Κωστόπουλος @ 2018-10-23  0:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dm-crypt

> An alternative way to make it go away, at least on Debian, is to add a
> file (or edit in place) such as /etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/resume. In
> it, set:
>
> RESUME=none
>
> Then regenerate your initramfs: sudo update-initramfs -u
>
> That worked for me.
>
> --

THANKS guys!!! :-)
I updated my resume file and indeed the problem went away.

THANKS AGAIN!!! :-)
Giorgos.