* Indent issus in kernel module development
@ 2015-12-19  2:07 chunguang qu
From: chunguang qu @ 2015-12-19  2:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-kernel

`indent -linux` sometimes made my code totally a mess.
I know it most likely a bug of GNU INDENT. And this is not a bug report.
I only want to know other kernel developers how to deal with this problem.
Since GUN INDENT is recommend in kernel's CodingStyle, I think surely
someone here encounter this problem either.

CMD
LANG=C indent -linux

FROM
http://paste.ubuntu.com/14093393/

http://paste.ubuntu.com/14093405/

Thanks.

--
[Kevin Q (ChunGuang Qu)](mailto:quchunguang@gmail.com) [public
key](http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x5B06DCA77BEF043B)

* Re: Indent issus in kernel module development
@ 2015-12-19  2:26 ` Randy Dunlap
From: Randy Dunlap @ 2015-12-19  2:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: chunguang qu, linux-kernel

On 12/18/15 18:07, chunguang qu wrote:
> `indent -linux` sometimes made my code totally a mess.
> I know it most likely a bug of GNU INDENT. And this is not a bug report.
> I only want to know other kernel developers how to deal with this problem.
> Since GUN INDENT is recommend in kernel's CodingStyle, I think surely
> someone here encounter this problem either.

Huh?

CodingStyle says:

  Now, again, GNU indent has the same brain-dead settings that GNU emacs
  has, which is why you need to give it a few command line options.

It also says try using scripts/Lindent.  Have you tried it?
It won't be perfect either, AFAI recall, but it might help.

or you could try emacs (as indicated in CodingStyle).  Good luck with that.

--
~Randy

* Re: Indent issus in kernel module development
@ 2015-12-19  5:50   ` chunguang qu
From: chunguang qu @ 2015-12-19  5:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Randy Dunlap, linux-kernel

Yes, I just tried `scripts/Lindent` and it has the same problem.

I had compared the source of `Lindent` with `-linux` option of
`indent` long time ago, there's seems no major difference.
So i used `indent -linux <file>` above.

Thanks for your advice about `emace`, but `vi` is my only editor for
dozens of years.

--
[Kevin Q (ChunGuang Qu)](mailto:quchunguang@gmail.com) [public
key](http://pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x5B06DCA77BEF043B)
@sdu.edu.cn @gnu.org @mit.edu @grazestar.com @jolijolie.cn

* Re: Indent issus in kernel module development
@ 2015-12-19  6:16     ` Joe Perches
From: Joe Perches @ 2015-12-19  6:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: chunguang qu, Randy Dunlap, linux-kernel

On Sat, 2015-12-19 at 13:50 +0800, chunguang qu wrote:
> Yes, I just tried `scripts/Lindent` and it has the same problem.
>
> I had compared the source of `Lindent` with `-linux` option of
> `indent` long time ago, there's seems no major difference.
> So i used `indent -linux <file>` above.
>
> Thanks for your advice about `emace`, but `vi` is my only editor for
> dozens of years.

Try:

$ ./scripts/checkpatch.pl --fix --types=spacing <file>

* Re: Indent issus in kernel module development
@ 2015-12-20 12:52       ` chunguang qu
From: chunguang qu @ 2015-12-20 12:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Joe Perches, linux-kernel

I tried it.  Not worked unfortunately,.

```bash
$ ~/share/linux/scripts/checkpatch.pl --fix --types=spacing testcompletion.c
total: 0 errors, 0 warnings, 0 lines checked

testcompletion.c has no obvious style problems and is ready for submission.

NOTE: Used message types: SPACING
```

@ 2015-12-21 15:13         ` Austin S. Hemmelgarn
From: Austin S. Hemmelgarn @ 2015-12-21 15:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: chunguang qu, Joe Perches, linux-kernel

On 2015-12-20 07:52, chunguang qu wrote:
> I tried it.  Not worked unfortunately,.
>
> ```bash
> $ ~/share/linux/scripts/checkpatch.pl --fix --types=spacing testcompletion.c
> total: 0 errors, 0 warnings, 0 lines checked
>
> testcompletion.c has no obvious style problems and is ready for submission.
>
> NOTE: Used message types: SPACING
> ```
You might try something with clang-format.  It doesn't have a built-in
style option for the kernel (probably because the kernel can't currently
be compiled with Clang/LLVM, but Linux does qualify for the first two
criteria for having a new style default added, so if someone wants to
actually work on it, they could probably get it included), but something
like this for the config should get you pretty close:

BasedOnStyle: LLVM
IndentWidth: 8
UseTab: Always
BreakBeforeBraces: Linux
AllowShortIfStatementOnASingleLine: false
IndentCaseLabels: false

I'm pretty certain that this doesn't cover everything from CodingStyle,
but it should cover most things, and most of the other stuff should be
relatively easily scriptable using regex based replacements.