* Bios upgrade
@ 2019-12-17  0:16 Vijay Khemka
From: Vijay Khemka @ 2019-12-17  0:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: OpenBMC Maillist

I am looking for bios upgrade from BMC. I looked at phosphor-ipmi-flash but
couldn’t figure out how to use this for bios upgrade. I checked few old mails
where oskar was asking about using user space application instead of kernel.
Can anyone please give steps to use any existing kernel driver or user space
Application for upgrading host firmware.

Regards
-Vijay

* RE: Bios upgrade
@ 2019-12-17  5:37 ` CS20 CTCchien
From: CS20 CTCchien @ 2019-12-17  5:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vijay Khemka, OpenBMC Maillist

Hi Vijay,

You could build a host daemon and a ipmi library on BMC from phosphor-ipmi-flash
Here is the link I implement BIOS upgrade on my system
https://github.com/Nuvoton-Israel/openbmc/tree/runbmc/meta-phosphor/nuvoton-layer/recipes-phosphor/ipmi.

You need to prepare a BIOS image and a signature file for this BIOS
After you execute the command on host, ipmid in BMC will launch a script to upgrade BIOS.

For example,
sudo  ./burn_my_bmc --command update --interface ipmipci --image BIOS.img --sig BIOS.img.sig --type static

B.R.
Medad
I am looking for bios upgrade from BMC. I looked at phosphor-ipmi-flash but
couldn’t figure out how to use this for bios upgrade. I checked few old mails
where oskar was asking about using user space application instead of kernel.
Can anyone please give steps to use any existing kernel driver or user space
Application for upgrading host firmware.

Regards
-Vijay
________________________________
The privileged confidential information contained in this email is intended for use only by the addressees as indicated by the original sender of this email. If you are not the addressee indicated in this email or are not responsible for delivery of the email to such a person, please kindly reply to the sender indicating this fact and delete all copies of it from your computer and network server immediately. Your cooperation is highly appreciated. It is advised that any unauthorized use of confidential information of Nuvoton is strictly prohibited; and any information in this email irrelevant to the official business of Nuvoton shall be deemed as neither given nor endorsed by Nuvoton.

* Re: Bios upgrade
@ 2019-12-17 20:57   ` Oskar Senft
From: Oskar Senft @ 2019-12-17 20:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: CS20 CTCchien; +Cc: Vijay Khemka, OpenBMC Maillist

Hi

How did you configure the BIOS flash device? I assume via the device tree?
I haven't tested this in a while, but I seem to remember that if the BIOS
SPI flash is not accessible Linux doesn't "detect" the device and doesn't
create the MTD, i.e. it's not accessible from the BMC. This can be the case
if the mux between BMC, PCH and BIOS SPI flash) is configured to connect
the SPI flash to the BMC at the time the BMC boots. Or is there a way to
make BMC's Linux "rescan" for SPI flash chips at runtime?

Thanks
Oskar.

@ 2019-12-18  0:33     ` CS20 CTCchien
From: CS20 CTCchien @ 2019-12-18  0:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Oskar Senft; +Cc: Vijay Khemka, OpenBMC Maillist

We have a gpio which could control the MUX
When I want to do BIOS upgrade, I will shut down the host and operate the gpio, and rescan, then BIOS flash will be accessible from BMC now.

B.R.
Medad

https://github.com/Nuvoton-Israel/openbmc/tree/runbmc/meta-phosphor/nuvoton-layer/recipes-phosphor/ipmi<https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__github.com_Nuvoton-2DIsrael_openbmc_tree_runbmc_meta-2Dphosphor_nuvoton-2Dlayer_recipes-2Dphosphor_ipmi&d=DwMFaQ&c=ue8mO8zgC4VZ4q_aNVKt8G9MC01UFDmisvMR1k-EoDM&r=HqT4ScbSY2YNT4sFBmDErzNgMDeKfQmTiR08x2qtobg&m=7mxCYr2Rn71qEomdvLXWG3GkbwRmfjiYt-8PEs6Vr4M&s=VQpRXaKHfEykzUskGOobziNpXXSFdsD5KBmZLYGys-U&e=>.

@ 2019-12-18  2:23       ` Oskar Senft
From: Oskar Senft @ 2019-12-18  2:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: CS20 CTCchien; +Cc: Vijay Khemka, OpenBMC Maillist

Hi

How do you do the rescan? That was the part I was curious about :-D

Is it this (
https://github.com/Nuvoton-Israel/openbmc/blob/runbmc/meta-phosphor/nuvoton-layer/recipes-phosphor/ipmi/phosphor-ipmi-flash/bios-update.sh#L38
)?

cd /sys/bus/platform/devices/c0000000.fiu/driver
echo -n "c0000000.fiu" > unbind
echo -n "c0000000.fiu" > bind

If so, what's the magic "c0000000.fiu"?

Thanks
Oskar

@ 2019-12-18  2:29         ` CS20 CTCchien
From: CS20 CTCchien @ 2019-12-18  2:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Oskar Senft; +Cc: Vijay Khemka, OpenBMC Maillist

Yes, I just echo string to device node to bind and unbind.
c0000000 is the FIU address in my system

B.R.
Medad

@ 2019-12-18  3:48           ` Oskar Senft
From: Oskar Senft @ 2019-12-18  3:48 UTC (permalink / raw)