* Submit board schematics to OpenBMC docs repo
@ 2018-11-16 19:58 Oskar Senft
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Oskar Senft @ 2018-11-16 19:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: OpenBMC Maillist; +Cc: Nancy Yuen, bradleyb, gmills

Hi

We are working with a mainboard vendor and systems integrator to enable
OpenBMC on one of their mainboards. They offered to post the relevant
schematics to OpenBMC so that we (and others) can officially use the
information to adapt OpenBMC.

Is there a good place in OpenBMC to post that? Maybe the docs repo? It's 4
PDF files with < 10 MiB in total. Having this information publicly posted
by them would make development much easier.

Thanks
Oskar.

* Re: Submit board schematics to OpenBMC docs repo
@ 2018-11-16 20:10 ` Andrew Luke Nesbit
From: Andrew Luke Nesbit @ 2018-11-16 20:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Oskar Senft, OpenBMC Maillist; +Cc: bradleyb, gmills

Dear Oskar,

This sounds great.  But I have a feeling I'm sure I'm misunderstanding
something important.

On 16/11/2018 19:58, Oskar Senft wrote:

> They offered to post the relevant
> schematics to OpenBMC so that we (and others) can officially use the
> information to adapt OpenBMC.

Please could you explain what this means exactly?  Thank you!!

Kind regards,

Andrew
--
OpenPGP key: EB28 0338 28B7 19DA DAB0  B193 D21D 996E 883B E5B9

* Re: Submit board schematics to OpenBMC docs repo
@ 2018-11-16 20:58 ` Sai Dasari
From: Sai Dasari @ 2018-11-16 20:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Oskar Senft, OpenBMC Maillist; +Cc: bradleyb, gmills

 Is there a good place in OpenBMC to post that? Maybe the docs repo? It's 4 PDF files with < 10 MiB in total. Having this information publicly posted by them would make development much easier.
Great to have schematics along with the source code for better understanding. Quick thought to scale this for various machiens. Since these schematics are specific to a machine, how about sharing it in a machine specific repo instead of common ‘docs’ repo? Might help to provide more context for the machine hardware.

* Re: Submit board schematics to OpenBMC docs repo
@ 2018-11-16 21:05   ` Oskar Senft
From: Oskar Senft @ 2018-11-16 21:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ullbeking; +Cc: OpenBMC Maillist, bradleyb, gmills

Hi Andrew

There are a number of specifics on both the Linux kernel and in user space
code that are much easier to implement by having access to the board
schematics. Some examples:

   - What devices are connected to which I2C bus?
   - Which fan headers are connected to which PWM and TACH signals?
   - ...

By having the vendor publish this information, it can used by anyone to
create the necessary files and changes without having to deal with legal
implications of using unpublished information. Does that make sense?

Thanks
Oskar.

@ 2018-11-16 21:07   ` Oskar Senft
From: Oskar Senft @ 2018-11-16 21:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sdasari; +Cc: OpenBMC Maillist, bradleyb, gmills

Hi Sai

I guess this is a question of # of small repos vs a single large repo with
a lot of "stuff" in it. I generally prefer fewer (yet larger) repos vs. the
overhead of managing multiple small repos.

Oskar.

@ 2018-11-16 22:26 ` Ed Tanous
From: Ed Tanous @ 2018-11-16 22:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: openbmc

On 11/16/18 11:58 AM, Oskar Senft wrote:
> Is there a good place in OpenBMC to post that? Maybe the docs repo?
> It's 4 PDF files with < 10 MiB in total. Having this information
> publicly posted by them would make development much easier.

One thing I wonder is whether or not we (the OpenBMC project) wants to
be in the business of hosting hardware schematics.  It feels a little
bit out of our wheelhouse.  It seems like a much better thing for an
organization like OCP to manage, who deals in a lot of open physical
hardware, and understands the licenses and subtleties around hosting
that kind of documentation.

For example, is the company planning on releasing the schematics with a
creative commons, Apache, or MIT license?  I have no idea the subtleties
of that when it comes to hardware schematics, but maybe someone else
does?  Does posting the schematics with that license open the
possibility of someone copying the hardware?

Maybe it makes more sense to post it somewhere outside the OpenBMC
project (the companies website perhaps) then post a link to it to the
mailing list?

I'm mostly just thinking out loud at this point.

As far as where we put it if we do decide to host it, I don't think a
git repo is the right choice.  Schematics aren't likely to be source
controlled (given that they're going to be board files and PDFs, not
editable schematics) so some kind of file drop seems like a better
choice than the docs repository.

PS, What company/board is it?

* Re: Submit board schematics to OpenBMC docs repo
@ 2018-11-16 22:27     ` Sai Dasari
From: Sai Dasari @ 2018-11-16 22:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Oskar Senft; +Cc: OpenBMC Maillist, bradleyb, gmills

I guess this is a question of # of small repos vs a single large repo with a lot of "stuff" in it. I generally prefer fewer (yet larger) repos vs. the overhead of managing multiple small repos.
May be an example would clarify for my suggestion of embedding details with the machine. I was referring to having ‘witherspooon’ schematics along with the machine layer @ https://github.com/openbmc/openbmc/tree/master/meta-ibm/meta-witherspoon. This will provide context for how this machine witherspoon is designed with all the details.(hypothetical assuming  witherspoon schematics can be shared in open)

* Re: Submit board schematics to OpenBMC docs repo
@ 2018-11-19  5:48       ` Stewart Smith
From: Stewart Smith @ 2018-11-19  5:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sai Dasari, Oskar Senft; +Cc: OpenBMC Maillist, bradleyb, gmills

Sai Dasari <sdasari@fb.com> writes:
> I guess this is a question of # of small repos vs a single large repo with a lot of "stuff" in it. I generally prefer fewer (yet larger) repos vs. the overhead of managing multiple small repos.
> May be an example would clarify for my suggestion of embedding details with the machine. I was referring to having ‘witherspooon’ schematics along with the machine layer @ https://github.com/openbmc/openbmc/tree/master/meta-ibm/meta-witherspoon. This will provide context for how this machine witherspoon is designed with all the details.(hypothetical assuming  witherspoon schematics can be shared in open)

Your mail client appears broken and is failing to quote replies correctly.

--
Stewart Smith
OPAL Architect, IBM.

* Re: Submit board schematics to OpenBMC docs repo
@ 2018-11-19 17:31         ` Sai Dasari
From: Sai Dasari @ 2018-11-19 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stewart Smith, Oskar Senft; +Cc: OpenBMC Maillist, bradleyb, gmills

On 11/18/18, 9:49 PM, "Stewart Smith" <stewart@linux.ibm.com> wrote:

    Sai Dasari <sdasari@fb.com> writes:
    > I guess this is a question of # of small repos vs a single large repo with a lot of "stuff" in it. I generally prefer fewer (yet larger) repos vs. the overhead of managing multiple small repos.
    > May be an example would clarify for my suggestion of embedding details with the machine. I was referring to having ‘witherspooon’ schematics along with the machine layer @ https://github.com/openbmc/openbmc/tree/master/meta-ibm/meta-witherspoon. This will provide context for how this machine witherspoon is designed with all the details.(hypothetical assuming  witherspoon schematics can be shared in open)

    Your mail client appears broken and is failing to quote replies correctly.
Thanks Steward for letting me know. Let me check what Outlook settings might be causing this. Thanks!

    --
    Stewart Smith
    OPAL Architect, IBM.

* Re: Submit board schematics to OpenBMC docs repo
@ 2018-11-19 17:34       ` Oskar Senft
From: Oskar Senft @ 2018-11-19 17:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sdasari; +Cc: OpenBMC Maillist, bradleyb, gmills

That makes sense. I.e. submit the meta machine layer for the particular
board and just include the PDFs in the commit. Would that be accepted?

Thanks
Oskar.

@ 2018-11-19 22:01         ` Sai Dasari
From: Sai Dasari @ 2018-11-19 22:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Oskar Senft; +Cc: OpenBMC Maillist, bradleyb, gmills

From: Oskar Senft <osk@google.com>
Date: Monday, November 19, 2018 at 9:35 AM
To: Sai Dasari <sdasari@fb.com>
Cc: OpenBMC Maillist <openbmc@lists.ozlabs.org>, "bradleyb@fuzziesquirrel.com" <bradleyb@fuzziesquirrel.com>, "gmills@linux.vnet.ibm.com" <gmills@linux.vnet.ibm.com>
Subject: Re: Submit board schematics to OpenBMC docs repo

   That makes sense. I.e. submit the meta machine layer for the particular board and just include the PDFs in the commit. Would that be accepted?
This is just one of the suggestion and am sure other community members might have suggestions/opinions regarding this.

Thanks
Oskar.

@ 2018-11-26 18:57   ` Brad Bishop
From: Brad Bishop @ 2018-11-26 18:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ed Tanous, openbmc

On Fri, 2018-11-16 at 14:26 -0800, Ed Tanous wrote:
> On 11/16/18 11:58 AM, Oskar Senft wrote:
> > Is there a good place in OpenBMC to post that? Maybe the docs repo?
> > It's 4 PDF files with < 10 MiB in total. Having this information
> > publicly posted by them would make development much easier.
>
> One thing I wonder is whether or not we (the OpenBMC project) wants
> be in the business of hosting hardware schematics.  It feels a little
> bit out of our wheelhouse.  It seems like a much better thing for an
> organization like OCP to manage, who deals in a lot of open physical
> hardware, and understands the licenses and subtleties around hosting
> that kind of documentation.
>
> For example, is the company planning on releasing the schematics with
> creative commons, Apache, or MIT license?  I have no idea the
> subtleties
> of that when it comes to hardware schematics, but maybe someone else
> does?  Does posting the schematics with that license open the
> possibility of someone copying the hardware?
>
> Maybe it makes more sense to post it somewhere outside the OpenBMC
> project (the companies website perhaps) then post a link to it to the
> mailing list?
>
> I'm mostly just thinking out loud at this point.
>

> As far as where we put it if we do decide to host it, I don't think a
> git repo is the right choice.  Schematics aren't likely to be source
> controlled (given that they're going to be board files and PDFs, not
> editable schematics) so some kind of file drop seems like a better
> choice than the docs repository.

fwiw I  agree with Ed on all points here...

* Re: Submit board schematics to OpenBMC docs repo
@ 2018-11-27 19:57     ` Sai Dasari
From: Sai Dasari @ 2018-11-27 19:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brad Bishop, Ed Tanous, openbmc, Oskar Senft

On 11/26/18, 10:58 AM, "openbmc on behalf of Brad Bishop" <openbmc-bounces+sdasari=fb.com@lists.ozlabs.org on behalf of bradleyb@fuzziesquirrel.com> wrote:

    On Fri, 2018-11-16 at 14:26 -0800, Ed Tanous wrote:
    > On 11/16/18 11:58 AM, Oskar Senft wrote:
    > > Is there a good place in OpenBMC to post that? Maybe the docs repo?
    > > It's 4 PDF files with < 10 MiB in total. Having this information
    > > publicly posted by them would make development much easier.
    >
    > One thing I wonder is whether or not we (the OpenBMC project) wants
    > be in the business of hosting hardware schematics.  It feels a little
    > bit out of our wheelhouse.  It seems like a much better thing for an
    > organization like OCP to manage, who deals in a lot of open physical
    > hardware, and understands the licenses and subtleties around hosting
    > that kind of documentation.
    >
    > For example, is the company planning on releasing the schematics with
    > creative commons, Apache, or MIT license?  I have no idea the
    > subtleties
    > of that when it comes to hardware schematics, but maybe someone else
    > does?  Does posting the schematics with that license open the
    > possibility of someone copying the hardware?
    >
    > Maybe it makes more sense to post it somewhere outside the OpenBMC
    > project (the companies website perhaps) then post a link to it to the
    > mailing list?
    >
    > I'm mostly just thinking out loud at this point.
    >

    > As far as where we put it if we do decide to host it, I don't think a
    > git repo is the right choice.  Schematics aren't likely to be source
    > controlled (given that they're going to be board files and PDFs, not
    > editable schematics) so some kind of file drop seems like a better
    > choice than the docs repository.

    fwiw I  agree with Ed on all points here...

 @Oskar Senft Based on this recommendation, I think it would be good to host schematics outside the github and provide a softlink as a reference.

* Re: Submit board schematics to OpenBMC docs repo
@ 2018-11-27 20:51       ` Oskar Senft
From: Oskar Senft @ 2018-11-27 20:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sdasari; +Cc: bradleyb, ed.tanous, OpenBMC Maillist