* anyone building for the arrow sockit eval board?
@ 2013-06-04 11:32 Robert P. J. Day
From: Robert P. J. Day @ 2013-06-04 11:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Yocto discussion list

  that's this board:

http://www.rocketboards.org/foswiki/Documentation/ArrowSoCKitEvaluationBoard

there's an alleged page for downloading an appropriate layer here:

http://www.rocketboards.org/foswiki/Documentation/GitGettingSTarted#Yocto_Project

with the instructions:

$ git clone http://git.rocketboards.org/poky-socfpga.git
$ cd  poky-socfpga/
$ git checkout -b <test_branch_name> origin/danny-altera
$ source ./altera-init build
$ bitbake virtual/kernel virtual/bootloader altera-image

but those instructions clearly won't work as that checkout doesn't
include the script "altera-init" and doesn't define an "altera-image".

  there's a much larger downloadable image called
"linux-socfpga-13.02-RC10-src.bsx", but it's well over 800M and is
defined to contain *everything* you need to build (that's all the
source and everything), but i don't want to go down that road as i'm
pretty sure i have most of the source.

  so is there, in fact, a valid meta-altera(?) layer of some kind that
defines the machine, image(s) and recipes for the arrow sockit board,
without cluttering the download with 800M+ of extraneous junk? thanks.

rday

                        http://crashcourse.ca

* Re: anyone building for the arrow sockit eval board?
@ 2013-06-04 12:04 ` Jack Mitchell
From: Jack Mitchell @ 2013-06-04 12:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

On 04/06/13 12:32, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

>    that's this board:
>
> http://www.rocketboards.org/foswiki/Documentation/ArrowSoCKitEvaluationBoard
>
> there's an alleged page for downloading an appropriate layer here:
>
> http://www.rocketboards.org/foswiki/Documentation/GitGettingSTarted#Yocto_Project
>
> with the instructions:
>
> $ git clone http://git.rocketboards.org/poky-socfpga.git
> $ cd  poky-socfpga/
> $ git checkout -b <test_branch_name> origin/danny-altera
> $ source ./altera-init build
> $ bitbake virtual/kernel virtual/bootloader altera-image
>
> but those instructions clearly won't work as that checkout doesn't
> include the script "altera-init" and doesn't define an "altera-image".
>
>    there's a much larger downloadable image called
> "linux-socfpga-13.02-RC10-src.bsx", but it's well over 800M and is
> defined to contain *everything* you need to build (that's all the
> source and everything), but i don't want to go down that road as i'm
> pretty sure i have most of the source.
>
>    so is there, in fact, a valid meta-altera(?) layer of some kind that
> defines the machine, image(s) and recipes for the arrow sockit board,
> without cluttering the download with 800M+ of extraneous junk? thanks.
>
> rday

Hi Robert,

I recently went on a training day with EVB (at Altera offices) and they
said the only supported method was through the Altera downloads and
rocketboards community site, for there dev board. They were not aware of
any 'meta-altera' layer (which is madness).

I am attending an Arrow training day in the coming weeks (where they
give this board out for free) so it will be interesting to see if you
get anywhere with this as I will be incorporating my own distro, and as
such need a fully layered approach.

If you still need me to ask any questions in a couple of weeks I will do
so for you.

Cheers,
Jack.

--

   Jack Mitchell (jack@embed.me.uk)
   Embedded Systems Engineer

* Re: anyone building for the arrow sockit eval board?
@ 2013-06-04 12:22   ` Robert P. J. Day
From: Robert P. J. Day @ 2013-06-04 12:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jack Mitchell; +Cc: yocto

On Tue, 4 Jun 2013, Jack Mitchell wrote:

> On 04/06/13 12:32, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> >
> >    that's this board:
> >
> > http://www.rocketboards.org/foswiki/Documentation/ArrowSoCKitEvaluationBoard
> >
> > there's an alleged page for downloading an appropriate layer here:
> >
> > http://www.rocketboards.org/foswiki/Documentation/GitGettingSTarted#Yocto_Project
> >
> > with the instructions:
> >
> > $ git clone http://git.rocketboards.org/poky-socfpga.git
> > $ cd  poky-socfpga/
> > $ git checkout -b <test_branch_name> origin/danny-altera
> > $ source ./altera-init build
> > $ bitbake virtual/kernel virtual/bootloader altera-image
> >
> > but those instructions clearly won't work as that checkout doesn't
> > include the script "altera-init" and doesn't define an "altera-image".
> >
> >    there's a much larger downloadable image called
> > "linux-socfpga-13.02-RC10-src.bsx", but it's well over 800M and is
> > defined to contain *everything* you need to build (that's all the
> > source and everything), but i don't want to go down that road as i'm
> > pretty sure i have most of the source.
> >
> >    so is there, in fact, a valid meta-altera(?) layer of some kind that
> > defines the machine, image(s) and recipes for the arrow sockit board,
> > without cluttering the download with 800M+ of extraneous junk? thanks.
> >
> > rday
> >

> Hi Robert,
>
> I recently went on a training day with EVB (at Altera offices) and
> they said the only supported method was through the Altera downloads
> and rocketboards community site, for there dev board. They were not
> aware of any 'meta-altera' layer (which is madness).
>
> I am attending an Arrow training day in the coming weeks (where they
> give this board out for free) so it will be interesting to see if
> you get anywhere with this as I will be incorporating my own distro,
> and as such need a fully layered approach.
>
> If you still need me to ask any questions in a couple of weeks I
> will do so for you.

  over the last couple of hours, i've got a lot of it figured out.
i've started (unsurprisingly :-) to document everything here:

http://www.crashcourse.ca/wiki/index.php/Arrow_SoCKit

  the web page that suggests there is a separate layer:

http://www.rocketboards.org/foswiki/Documentation/GitGettingSTarted#Yocto_Project

seems pretty clearly incorrect, but if you download the monstrous .bsx
file and install it, then run the install_altera_socfpga_src.sh script
that you get inside that, that produces another directory with
contents:

-rwxrwxr-x  1 rpjday rpjday  1547 Mar 27 17:01 altera-init
drwxrwxr-x  6 rpjday rpjday  4096 Oct 26  2012 bitbake
drwxrwxr-x 11 rpjday rpjday  4096 Mar 27 17:01 documentation
-rw-rw-r--  1 rpjday rpjday   545 Oct 26  2012 LICENSE
drwxrwxr-x 21 rpjday rpjday  4096 Oct 31  2012 meta
drwxrwxr-x  9 rpjday rpjday  4096 Apr  5 15:20 meta-altera
drwxrwxr-x  4 rpjday rpjday  4096 Oct 31  2012 meta-hob
drwxrwxr-x 10 rpjday rpjday  4096 Mar 27 17:01 meta-linaro
drwxrwxr-x  5 rpjday rpjday  4096 Mar 27 17:01 meta-skeleton
drwxrwxr-x  6 rpjday rpjday  4096 Oct 31  2012 meta-yocto
drwxrwxr-x  9 rpjday rpjday  4096 Mar 27 17:01 meta-yocto-bsp
-rwxrwxr-x  1 rpjday rpjday  1531 Oct 31  2012 oe-init-build-env
-rw-rw-r--  1 rpjday rpjday  2038 Oct 31  2012 README
-rw-rw-r--  1 rpjday rpjday 17245 Oct 31  2012 README.hardware
drwxrwxr-x  8 rpjday rpjday  4096 Mar 27 17:01 scripts

so that's looking a lot more promising. i'm guessing all the content
is there, it's just a bit disorganized. as you can see, there *is* a
meta-altera layer, but it's accompanied by a bunch of other layers
which i suspect could be pruned, so my goal today is to strip out
everything but the minimal meta-altera content and combine it with all
the layers i already have.

  stay tuned ...

@ 2013-06-04 12:26     ` Jack Mitchell
From: Jack Mitchell @ 2013-06-04 12:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert P. J. Day; +Cc: yocto

On 04/06/13 13:22, Robert P. J. Day wrote:
> [...]
> drwxrwxr-x  4 rpjday rpjday  4096 Oct 31  2012 meta-hob
> drwxrwxr-x 10 rpjday rpjday  4096 Mar 27 17:01 meta-linaro
> drwxrwxr-x  5 rpjday rpjday  4096 Mar 27 17:01 meta-skeleton
> drwxrwxr-x  6 rpjday rpjday  4096 Oct 31  2012 meta-yocto
> drwxrwxr-x  9 rpjday rpjday  4096 Mar 27 17:01 meta-yocto-bsp
> -rwxrwxr-x  1 rpjday rpjday  1531 Oct 31  2012 oe-init-build-env
> -rw-rw-r--  1 rpjday rpjday  2038 Oct 31  2012 README
> -rw-rw-r--  1 rpjday rpjday 17245 Oct 31  2012 README.hardware
> drwxrwxr-x  8 rpjday rpjday  4096 Mar 27 17:01 scripts
>
> so that's looking a lot more promising. i'm guessing all the content
> is there, it's just a bit disorganized. as you can see, there *is* a
> meta-altera layer, but it's accompanied by a bunch of other layers
> which i suspect could be pruned, so my goal today is to strip out
> everything but the minimal meta-altera content and combine it with all

The interesting ones in there are meta-altera and meta-linaro; it would
also be interesting to see if anything else is modified or if it is
vanilla Yocto. I have a sinking feeling it may not be... mainly due to
the tightly coupled DT and socfpga implementation with the Altera tools.

Could you post the altera-init script; I would imagine that hides the
demons ;)

Cheers,

--

@ 2013-06-04 12:35       ` Robert P. J. Day
From: Robert P. J. Day @ 2013-06-04 12:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jack Mitchell; +Cc: yocto

On Tue, 4 Jun 2013, Jack Mitchell wrote:

... snip ...

> The interesting ones in there are meta-altera and meta-linaro; it
> would also be interesting to see if anything else is modified or if
> it is vanilla Yocto. I have a sinking feeling it may not be...
> mainly due to the tightly coupled DT and socfpga implementation with
> the Altera tools.
>
> Could you post the altera-init script; I would imagine that hides
> the demons ;)

  keep following along here:

http://www.crashcourse.ca/wiki/index.php/SoCKit_Yocto_bsx_build

i'm adding to that regularly.

@ 2013-06-04 13:59       ` Robert P. J. Day
From: Robert P. J. Day @ 2013-06-04 13:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jack Mitchell; +Cc: yocto

On Tue, 4 Jun 2013, Jack Mitchell wrote:

> The interesting ones in there are meta-altera and meta-linaro; it
> would also be interesting to see if anything else is modified or if
> it is vanilla Yocto. I have a sinking feeling it may not be...
> mainly due to the tightly coupled DT and socfpga implementation with
> the Altera tools.
>
> Could you post the altera-init script; I would imagine that hides
> the demons ;)

  i've finished adding a couple more things to this page:

http://www.crashcourse.ca/wiki/index.php/SoCKit_Yocto_bsx_build

showing a successful build of an "altera-image-minimal" image, at
least with respect to the artifacts that show up in the "images/"
directory, so that's a good sign (although i haven't boot-tested that
stuff yet).

  i may spend some time perusing the contents of the meta-altera/
directory to see how easy it would be to just extract that as a
separate layer and use stock layers for everything else -- doesn't
look like it would be hard as i would prefer to use the latest "git
pull" content when possible.

rday

p.s. i know nothing about the issues involving the combination of the
device tree and FPGA, but the build process did generate dtb files, so
maybe it really is self-contained. feel free to follow along with that
page and see if it all works for you as well.

@ 2013-09-13  9:38         ` Andrea Galbusera
From: Andrea Galbusera @ 2013-09-13  9:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert P. J. Day; +Cc: yocto

Hi Robert,
Hi Jack,

On Tue, Jun 4, 2013 at 3:59 PM, Robert P. J. Day <rpjday@crashcourse.ca> wrote:
> On Tue, 4 Jun 2013, Jack Mitchell wrote:
>
>> The interesting ones in there are meta-altera and meta-linaro; it
>> would also be interesting to see if anything else is modified or if
>> it is vanilla Yocto. I have a sinking feeling it may not be...
>> mainly due to the tightly coupled DT and socfpga implementation with
>> the Altera tools.
>>
>> Could you post the altera-init script; I would imagine that hides
>> the demons ;)
>
>   i've finished adding a couple more things to this page:
>
> http://www.crashcourse.ca/wiki/index.php/SoCKit_Yocto_bsx_build
>
> showing a successful build of an "altera-image-minimal" image, at
> least with respect to the artifacts that show up in the "images/"
> directory, so that's a good sign (although i haven't boot-tested that
> stuff yet).
>
>   i may spend some time perusing the contents of the meta-altera/
> directory to see how easy it would be to just extract that as a
> separate layer and use stock layers for everything else -- doesn't
> look like it would be hard as i would prefer to use the latest "git
> pull" content when possible.
>
> rday
>
> p.s. i know nothing about the issues involving the combination of the
> device tree and FPGA, but the build process did generate dtb files, so
> maybe it really is self-contained. feel free to follow along with that
> page and see if it all works for you as well.

Just started to poke around with Yocto trees from rocketboards in
these days and Yocto ml archives returned this thread. I'm still
waiting for the real hardware (Altera's EVB) to go hands-on. After
reading Robert's wiki page documenting his tests, I noticed that
poky-socfpga.git also include a dylan-altera branch. I guess this
should bring Altera's stuff to the next Yocto release. Did you try
building against this branch and do you have any boot tests report
also? I did try a build and it worked after applying a trivial fix to
a failing recipe (gatord).

This branch is not referenced yet by official documentation, but it
might be a better bet for starting new developments. I'm also a little
bit concerned by the approach of providing a full 'clone' of the yocto
instead of confining Altera specifics in a dedicated meta-altera layer
only. Did you get any new insight on the topic? Maybe Jack also can
provide new details after attending training days on the topic...

Very curious to road-test the socfpga with Yocto!

* Re: anyone building for the arrow sockit eval board?
@ 2014-08-14  2:12           ` Suresh Nagarajan
From: Suresh Nagarajan @ 2014-08-14  2:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yocto

Did anypne get perf to build?