* Ceph installation packages on Ubuntu
@ 2016-12-21  8:21 Tone Zhang
From: Tone Zhang @ 2016-12-21  8:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ceph-devel

Hi Cephers,

In recent, I tried to deploy Ceph cluster on Ubuntu 16.04 on ARM
platform via "ceph-deploy".

When I ran "ceph-deploy install" command, I got "cannot find ceph-osd"
and "ceph-mon". I checked the ceph download center for Ubuntu on ARM
(https://download.ceph.com/debian-jewel/pool/main/c/ceph/), it seems
since Ceph 10.2.4, there is no deb packages for ARM any more. What's
happened? Does it mean ceph jewel delivery on ARM platform will be
stopped?

If I want to deploy Ceph jewel 10.2.2 via ceph-deploy, how shall I do?
Except download all the deb packaged for 10.2.2 and install ceph
manually, is there an easier way?

Thanks a lot!

Br,
Tone

* Re: Ceph installation packages on Ubuntu
@ 2016-12-29  6:55 ` kefu chai
From: kefu chai @ 2016-12-29  6:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tone Zhang; +Cc: ceph-devel

On Wed, Dec 21, 2016 at 4:21 PM, Tone Zhang <tone.zhang@linaro.org> wrote:
> Hi Cephers,
>
> In recent, I tried to deploy Ceph cluster on Ubuntu 16.04 on ARM
> platform via "ceph-deploy".
>
> When I ran "ceph-deploy install" command, I got "cannot find ceph-osd"
> and "ceph-mon". I checked the ceph download center for Ubuntu on ARM
> (https://download.ceph.com/debian-jewel/pool/main/c/ceph/), it seems
> since Ceph 10.2.4, there is no deb packages for ARM any more. What's
> happened? Does it mean ceph jewel delivery on ARM platform will be
> stopped?

also i noticed that the aarch64 gitbuilder has been failing since v10.2.3. but
the reason of failure is still unknown. @Tone can you reproduce this in your
environment? if not, it's very likely environmental issues in our gitbuilder.

quote from http://gitbuilder.sepia.ceph.com/gitbuilder-ceph-deb-xenial-aarch64-basic/log.cgi?log=ecc23778eb545d8dd55e2e4735b53cc93f92e65b
<quote>
dpkg-deb: building package 'libcephfs-jni' in
'../libcephfs-jni_10.2.3-1xenial_arm64.deb'.

make: *** wait: No child processes. Stop.

make: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....

make: *** wait: No child processes. Stop.
</quote>
so v10.2.3 build on aarch64 failed.

quote from http://gitbuilder.sepia.ceph.com/gitbuilder-ceph-deb-xenial-aarch64-basic/log.cgi?log=9411351cc8ce9ee03fbd46225102fe3d28ddf611

<quote>
dpkg-deb: building package 'python-rbd' in
'../python-rbd_10.2.4-1xenial_arm64.deb'.
dpkg-deb --build debian/python-cephfs ..
dpkg-deb: building package 'python-cephfs' in
'../python-cephfs_10.2.4-1xenial_arm64.deb'.
dpkg-deb --build debian/libcephfs-jni ..
dpkg-deb: building package 'libcephfs-jni' in
'../libcephfs-jni_10.2.4-1xenial_arm64.deb'.
debian/rules:112: recipe for target 'binary-arch' failed
</quote>
so v10.2.4 build on aarch64 failed also.

> If I want to deploy Ceph jewel 10.2.2 via ceph-deploy, how shall I do?
> Except download all the deb packaged for 10.2.2 and install ceph
> manually, is there an easier way?
>
> Thanks a lot!
>
> Br,
> Tone

Regards
Kefu Chai

* Re: Ceph installation packages on Ubuntu
@ 2017-01-03 20:16 ` Alfredo Deza
       [not found]   ` <CAOCf4Akuk27q3Ki=LbAmjY-geUOjSgqCiRiSD5FhxV6Fw8uSAg@mail.gmail.com>
From: Alfredo Deza @ 2017-01-03 20:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tone Zhang; +Cc: ceph-devel

On Wed, Dec 21, 2016 at 3:21 AM, Tone Zhang <tone.zhang@linaro.org> wrote:
> Hi Cephers,
>
> In recent, I tried to deploy Ceph cluster on Ubuntu 16.04 on ARM
> platform via "ceph-deploy".
>
> When I ran "ceph-deploy install" command, I got "cannot find ceph-osd"
> and "ceph-mon". I checked the ceph download center for Ubuntu on ARM
> (https://download.ceph.com/debian-jewel/pool/main/c/ceph/), it seems
> since Ceph 10.2.4, there is no deb packages for ARM any more. What's
> happened? Does it mean ceph jewel delivery on ARM platform will be
> stopped?

I don't recall why we didn't ship for 10.2.4. For regular releases we
put the priority on the non-arm
versions, so it is possible we had some temporary issue at the time of 10.2.4

I will get a build going for that version and arm64, and will update
this thread when that is complete (or if we find anything preventing a
build)

> If I want to deploy Ceph jewel 10.2.2 via ceph-deploy, how shall I do?
> Except download all the deb packaged for 10.2.2 and install ceph
> manually, is there an easier way?

There isn't a way to do this with a released Ceph version, because the
DEB repos will not allow to provide metadata information for multiple
versions of the same package (the deb tooling we use just ignores the
older versions).

If you can't wait, there is an unsigned repo for 10.2.2 available at:

https://chacra.ceph.com/r/ceph/jewel/ubuntu/xenial/

It contains the other DEB distros there as well (it isn't just xenial)

@ 2017-01-04  9:11     ` kefu chai
From: kefu chai @ 2017-01-04  9:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tone Zhang; +Cc: Alfredo Deza, ceph-devel

On Wed, Jan 4, 2017 at 4:19 PM, Tone Zhang <tone.zhang@linaro.org> wrote:
> Hi Kefu and Alfredo,
>
> Sorry for the late, and thanks a lot for your kindly help.
>
> @Kefu,
> I tried to generate Ceph 10.2.3 deb packages with command
> "dpkg-buildpackage", but failed. The error is different from you
> shared.
<quote>
ubuntu@u202157:~/tone/ceph$ dpkg-buildpackage -v -uc -us -j16
 dpkg-genchanges -v >../ceph_10.2.4-1_arm64.changes
dpkg-genchanges: warning: 'since' option specifies non-existing version
dpkg-genchanges: warning: use newest entry that is earlier than the
one specified
dpkg-genchanges: error:  is not a valid version
dpkg-buildpackage: error: dpkg-genchanges gave error exit status 255
</quote>

you might want to pass a version in the -v option. or you can just use

  dpkg-buildpackage -uc -us -j16

> Then I generated deb packages for Ceph 10.2.4, it failed at almost the
> last steps. I can find all the generated deb packages in the build
> machine.
>
> The issue in 10.2.3 is different from 10.2.4.

<quote>
dpkg-shlibdeps: error: no dependency information found for
/usr/lib/libleveldb.so.1 (used by debian/ceph-mon/usr/bin/ceph-mon)
Hint: check if the library actually comes from a package.
dh_shlibdeps: dpkg-shlibdeps -Tdebian/ceph-mon.substvars
debian/ceph-mon/usr/bin/ceph-mon returned exit code 2
debian/rules:112: recipe for target 'binary-arch' failed
</quote>

seems the libleveldb is not well packaged. a quick google returns:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/11238134/dpkg-shlibdeps-error-no-dependency-information-found-for

> @Alfredo,
> Thanks for your help. I have installed Ceph 10.2.2 via "dpkg" command.
>
> I threw the question is that I thought Ceph community will stop
> releasing Ceph version for arm platform. Obviously I am wrong. :)
>

> I attached the log.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Br,
> Tone
>
> On 4 January 2017 at 04:16, Alfredo Deza <adeza@redhat.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Dec 21, 2016 at 3:21 AM, Tone Zhang <tone.zhang@linaro.org> wrote:
>>> Hi Cephers,
>>>
>>> In recent, I tried to deploy Ceph cluster on Ubuntu 16.04 on ARM
>>> platform via "ceph-deploy".
>>>
>>> When I ran "ceph-deploy install" command, I got "cannot find ceph-osd"
>>> and "ceph-mon". I checked the ceph download center for Ubuntu on ARM
>>> (https://download.ceph.com/debian-jewel/pool/main/c/ceph/), it seems
>>> since Ceph 10.2.4, there is no deb packages for ARM any more. What's
>>> happened? Does it mean ceph jewel delivery on ARM platform will be
>>> stopped?
>>
>> I don't recall why we didn't ship for 10.2.4. For regular releases we
>> put the priority on the non-arm
>> versions, so it is possible we had some temporary issue at the time of 10.2.4
>>
>> I will get a build going for that version and arm64, and will update
>> this thread when that is complete (or if we find anything preventing a
>> build)
>>>
>>> If I want to deploy Ceph jewel 10.2.2 via ceph-deploy, how shall I do?
>>> Except download all the deb packaged for 10.2.2 and install ceph
>>> manually, is there an easier way?
>>
>> There isn't a way to do this with a released Ceph version, because the
>> DEB repos will not allow to provide metadata information for multiple
>> versions of the same package (the deb tooling we use just ignores the
>> older versions).
>>
>> If you can't wait, there is an unsigned repo for 10.2.2 available at:
>>
>> https://chacra.ceph.com/r/ceph/jewel/ubuntu/xenial/
>>
>> It contains the other DEB distros there as well (it isn't just xenial)
>>

>>> Thanks a lot!
>>>
>>> Br,
>>> Tone
>>> --

Regards
Kefu Chai

* Re: Ceph installation packages on Ubuntu
@ 2017-01-04  9:14       ` Tone Zhang
From: Tone Zhang @ 2017-01-04  9:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kefu chai; +Cc: Alfredo Deza, ceph-devel

Hi Kefu,

Thanks!

Will try the correct command.

Br,
Tone

@ 2017-01-04 21:00         ` Alfredo Deza
From: Alfredo Deza @ 2017-01-04 21:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tone Zhang; +Cc: kefu chai, ceph-devel

On Wed, Jan 4, 2017 at 4:14 AM, Tone Zhang <tone.zhang@linaro.org> wrote:
> Hi Kefu,
>
> Thanks!
>
> Will try the correct command.
>
> Br,
> Tone
>
> On 4 January 2017 at 17:11, kefu chai <tchaikov@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Jan 4, 2017 at 4:19 PM, Tone Zhang <tone.zhang@linaro.org> wrote:
>>> Hi Kefu and Alfredo,
>>>
>>> Sorry for the late, and thanks a lot for your kindly help.
>>>
>>> @Kefu,
>>> I tried to generate Ceph 10.2.3 deb packages with command
>>> "dpkg-buildpackage", but failed. The error is different from you
>>> shared.
>> <quote>
>> ubuntu@u202157:~/tone/ceph$ dpkg-buildpackage -v -uc -us -j16
>>  dpkg-genchanges -v >../ceph_10.2.4-1_arm64.changes
>> dpkg-genchanges: warning: 'since' option specifies non-existing version
>> dpkg-genchanges: warning: use newest entry that is earlier than the
>> one specified
>> dpkg-genchanges: error:  is not a valid version
>> dpkg-buildpackage: error: dpkg-genchanges gave error exit status 255
>> </quote>
>>
>> you might want to pass a version in the -v option. or you can just use
>>
>>   dpkg-buildpackage -uc -us -j16
>>

>>> Then I generated deb packages for Ceph 10.2.4, it failed at almost the
>>> last steps. I can find all the generated deb packages in the build
>>> machine.
>>>
>>> The issue in 10.2.3 is different from 10.2.4.
>>
>> <quote>
>> dpkg-shlibdeps: error: no dependency information found for
>> /usr/lib/libleveldb.so.1 (used by debian/ceph-mon/usr/bin/ceph-mon)
>> Hint: check if the library actually comes from a package.
>> dh_shlibdeps: dpkg-shlibdeps -Tdebian/ceph-mon.substvars
>> debian/ceph-mon/usr/bin/ceph-mon returned exit code 2
>> debian/rules:112: recipe for target 'binary-arch' failed
>> </quote>
>>
>> seems the libleveldb is not well packaged. a quick google returns:
>> http://stackoverflow.com/questions/11238134/dpkg-shlibdeps-error-no-dependency-information-found-for
>>

>>> @Alfredo,
>>> Thanks for your help. I have installed Ceph 10.2.2 via "dpkg" command.
>>>
>>> I threw the question is that I thought Ceph community will stop
>>> releasing Ceph version for arm platform. Obviously I am wrong. :)
>>>

>>> I attached the log.
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>>
>>> Br,
>>> Tone

We have just published the 10.2.5 binaries for ARM. Let us know if you
get into issues.

@ 2017-01-05  1:04           ` Tone Zhang
From: Tone Zhang @ 2017-01-05  1:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alfredo Deza; +Cc: kefu chai, ceph-devel

Hi Alfredo,

It is great!

I will have a try ASAP.

Thanks.

Br,
Tone

@ 2017-01-05  1:08             ` Tone Zhang
From: Tone Zhang @ 2017-01-05  1:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kefu chai; +Cc: ceph-devel, Alfredo Deza

Hi Kefu,

With the command "dpkg-buildpackage -uc -us -j16", I can generate deb
packages for Ceph 10.2.3 and 10.2.4 in arm machine.

Everything is OK.

Thanks a lot.

Br,
Tone