* ceph-disk is getting removed from master
@ 2018-05-23 15:12 Alfredo Deza
       [not found] ` <CAC-Np1yDMEjNsBth_TkzAhbefRZOnXxjVcK2EieMOKXXMWCfpA-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Alfredo Deza @ 2018-05-23 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ceph-devel, Willem Jan Withagen, ceph-users-idqoXFIVOFJgJs9I8MT0rw

Now that Mimic is fully branched out from master, ceph-disk is going
to be removed from master so that it is no longer available for the N
release (pull request to follow)

ceph-disk should be considered as "frozen" and deprecated for Mimic,
in favor of ceph-volume.

This means that if you are relying on ceph-disk *at all*, you should
plan on migrating to ceph-volume for Mimic, and should expect breakage
if using/testing it in master.

Please refer to the guide to migrate away from ceph-disk [0]

Willem, we don't have a way of directly supporting FreeBSD, I've
suggested that a plugin would be a good way to consume ceph-volume
with whatever FreeBSD needs, alternatively forking ceph-disk could be
another option?

Thanks

[0] http://docs.ceph.com/docs/master/ceph-volume/#migrating

* Re: ceph-disk is getting removed from master
       [not found] ` <CAC-Np1yDMEjNsBth_TkzAhbefRZOnXxjVcK2EieMOKXXMWCfpA-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
@ 2018-05-23 15:47   ` Willem Jan Withagen
       [not found]     ` <a3f0b6e0-4dfc-de8d-756d-b336dd0a0730-dOtk1Lsa4IaEVqv0pETR8A@public.gmane.org>
From: Willem Jan Withagen @ 2018-05-23 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alfredo Deza, ceph-devel, ceph-users-idqoXFIVOFJgJs9I8MT0rw

On 23-5-2018 17:12, Alfredo Deza wrote:
> Now that Mimic is fully branched out from master, ceph-disk is going
> to be removed from master so that it is no longer available for the N
> release (pull request to follow)

> Willem, we don't have a way of directly supporting FreeBSD, I've
> suggested that a plugin would be a good way to consume ceph-volume
> with whatever FreeBSD needs, alternatively forking ceph-disk could be
> another option?

Yup, I'm aware of my "trouble"/commitment.

Now that you have riped out most/all of the partitioning stuff there
should not much that one would need to do in ceph-volume other than
accept the filestore directories to format the MON/OSD stuff in.

IFF I could find the time to dive into ceph-volume..... :(
ATM I'm having a hard time keeping up with the changes as it is.

I'd appreciate if you could delay yanking ceph-disk until we are close
to the nautilus release. At which point feel free to use the axe.

--WjW

@ 2018-05-23 16:12   ` Vasu Kulkarni
       [not found]     ` <CAKPXa=ZaQxKwDW721s7+u61j9Dp_qj8dLjXW_qtW5M9jvVC1RQ-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Vasu Kulkarni @ 2018-05-23 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alfredo Deza; +Cc: ceph-devel, ceph-users-idqoXFIVOFJgJs9I8MT0rw

Alfredo,

Do we have the migration docs link from ceph-disk deployment to
ceph-volume? the current docs as i see lacks scenario migration, maybe
there is another link ?
http://docs.ceph.com/docs/master/ceph-volume/simple/#ceph-volume-simple

If it doesn't exist can we document, how a) ceph-disk with filestore
(with/without) journal can migrate to ceph-volume  and b)
ceph-disk/bluestore with wal/db on same/different partitions.

Regards
Vasu

@ 2018-05-23 17:03       ` Alfredo Deza
       [not found]         ` <CAC-Np1wWQ=xnZfL6BaKreS5YsOa1wTZd6eoTxDSoFSRngHGmjg-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Alfredo Deza @ 2018-05-23 17:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vasu Kulkarni; +Cc: ceph-devel, ceph-users-idqoXFIVOFJgJs9I8MT0rw

On Wed, May 23, 2018 at 12:12 PM, Vasu Kulkarni <vakulkar-H+wXaHxf7aLQT0dZR+AlfA@public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Alfredo,
>
> Do we have the migration docs link from ceph-disk deployment to
> ceph-volume? the current docs as i see lacks scenario migration, maybe
> there is another link ?
> http://docs.ceph.com/docs/master/ceph-volume/simple/#ceph-volume-simple
>
> If it doesn't exist can we document, how a) ceph-disk with filestore
> (with/without) journal can migrate to ceph-volume  and b)
> ceph-disk/bluestore with wal/db on same/different partitions.

There is no "scenario" because ceph-volume scans the existing OSD and
whatever that gives us we work with it:

* filestore with collocated/separate journals
* bluestore in any kind of deployment (with wal, with db, with db and
wal, with main only)

multiply that with *both* ceph-disk's way of encrypting.

In short: we support them all. No special command or flag needed.

@ 2018-05-23 17:06       ` Alfredo Deza
From: Alfredo Deza @ 2018-05-23 17:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Willem Jan Withagen; +Cc: ceph-devel, ceph-users-idqoXFIVOFJgJs9I8MT0rw

On Wed, May 23, 2018 at 11:47 AM, Willem Jan Withagen <wjw-dOtk1Lsa4IaEVqv0pETR8A@public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On 23-5-2018 17:12, Alfredo Deza wrote:
>> Now that Mimic is fully branched out from master, ceph-disk is going
>> to be removed from master so that it is no longer available for the N
>> release (pull request to follow)
>
>> Willem, we don't have a way of directly supporting FreeBSD, I've
>> suggested that a plugin would be a good way to consume ceph-volume
>> with whatever FreeBSD needs, alternatively forking ceph-disk could be
>> another option?
>
> Yup, I'm aware of my "trouble"/commitment.
>
> Now that you have riped out most/all of the partitioning stuff there
> should not much that one would need to do in ceph-volume other than
> accept the filestore directories to format the MON/OSD stuff in.

I worry about the way we poke at devices for setups (blkid, lsblk,
/proc/mounts, etc...)

The creation of the OSD (aside from devices) is straightforward

> IFF I could find the time to dive into ceph-volume..... :(
> ATM I'm having a hard time keeping up with the changes as it is.
>
> I'd appreciate if you could delay yanking ceph-disk until we are close
> to the nautilus release. At which point feel free to use the axe.

We can't delay this for ~8 months because it will obfuscate what
breakage we will find on our end by ripping it up (teuthology suites,
etc...)

I've already started working on it, and we should be looking at 2 to 3
weeks from today.

@ 2018-05-23 17:26           ` Vasu Kulkarni
From: Vasu Kulkarni @ 2018-05-23 17:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alfredo Deza; +Cc: ceph-devel, ceph-users-idqoXFIVOFJgJs9I8MT0rw

On Wed, May 23, 2018 at 10:03 AM, Alfredo Deza <adeza-H+wXaHxf7aLQT0dZR+AlfA@public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On Wed, May 23, 2018 at 12:12 PM, Vasu Kulkarni <vakulkar-H+wXaHxf7aLQT0dZR+AlfA@public.gmane.org> wrote:
>> Alfredo,
>>
>> Do we have the migration docs link from ceph-disk deployment to
>> ceph-volume? the current docs as i see lacks scenario migration, maybe
>> there is another link ?
>> http://docs.ceph.com/docs/master/ceph-volume/simple/#ceph-volume-simple
>>
>> If it doesn't exist can we document, how a) ceph-disk with filestore
>> (with/without) journal can migrate to ceph-volume  and b)
>> ceph-disk/bluestore with wal/db on same/different partitions.
>
> There is no "scenario" because ceph-volume scans the existing OSD and
> whatever that gives us we work with it:
>
> * filestore with collocated/separate journals
> * bluestore in any kind of deployment (with wal, with db, with db and
> wal, with main only)
>
> multiply that with *both* ceph-disk's way of encrypting.
>
> In short: we support them all. No special command or flag needed.

Cool that sounds great. Thanks