* CentOS 6 and Ubuntu Precise binaries for Hammer 0.94.6
@ 2016-03-03 19:41 Alfredo Deza
       [not found] ` <CANMxC7CEj+NO-YE8HZbfLg6zaqgjz+0zLCgaCSt+DyH_mEjY0Q@mail.gmail.com>
From: Alfredo Deza @ 2016-03-03 19:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ceph-devel

Hi All,

Some good news, we were able to go back and get CentOS 6 binaries
built for the 0.94.6 release.

They aren't published yet (they remain unsigned, queued up in our
release process).

However, we are at an impasse with the Precise build. We can't get
Precise nodes to build because the distro has a very old version of
the JVM which causes issues when connecting to Jenkins as a node.

The exact error when attempting a connection is:

     Caused by: java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError:
hudson/slaves/SlaveComputer$SlaveVersion: Unsupported major.minor 51.0

The way we get a new node for the build system up and running is by
making an API call to an OpenStack provider that a boot time it runs
some Ansible playbook which allows the new host to comply with our
needs to be a workable node and register itself to the Master Jenkins
server.

What does this mean? --> I can't commit to fix this and would love to
have some help from anyone in the community. I can review/merge a pull
request with a patch to the playbook we use to setup slaves so that if
a Precise machine is used it gets a newer JVM version.

The Github project for our build system is: https://github.com/ceph/ceph-build

The YAML file we use to setup new slaves is:
https://github.com/ceph/ceph-build/blob/master/ansible/slave.yml

Once a fix is in place I can go and get the process going again,
complete the signing of the binaries and get them released into the
Hammer repositories.

Thanks

Alfredo

* Re: CentOS 6 and Ubuntu Precise binaries for Hammer 0.94.6
       [not found] ` <CANMxC7CEj+NO-YE8HZbfLg6zaqgjz+0zLCgaCSt+DyH_mEjY0Q@mail.gmail.com>
@ 2016-03-03 21:46   ` Alfredo Deza
From: Alfredo Deza @ 2016-03-03 21:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin Palma; +Cc: ceph-devel

On Thu, Mar 3, 2016 at 3:47 PM, Martin Palma <martin@palma.bz> wrote:
> Hi Alfredo,
>
> What Java version is needed? From the "slave" playbook I see that both (yum
> and apt based systems) get the same java version (7) installed, so it seems
> strange that the Precise build fail.

For some reason it seems that even though it was installed the Java
version reported doesn't comply:

  [03/03/16 19:07:20] [SSH] Checking java version of java
  [03/03/16 19:07:20] [SSH] java -version returned 1.6.0_38.
  [03/03/16 19:07:20] [SSH] Starting sftp client.
  [03/03/16 19:07:20] [SSH] Copying latest slave.jar...
  [03/03/16 19:07:20] [SSH] Copied 506,667 bytes.
  Expanded the channel window size to 4MB
  [03/03/16 19:07:20] [SSH] Starting slave process: cd
"/home/jenkins-build/build" && java  -jar slave.jar

The full logs are here: http://dpaste.com/3VX89V8

I *believe* that something in the playbook is preventing it to get to
install the java package correctly, hence the problem.

This will require running the playbook against a precise box and
seeing where it fails/stops

@ 2016-03-03 21:52     ` Alfredo Deza
From: Alfredo Deza @ 2016-03-03 21:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin Palma; +Cc: ceph-devel

This is as far as I got, something is odd here:

admin@precise-test-adeza:~$ sudo apt-get install openjdk-7-jre
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
openjdk-7-jre is already the newest version.
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 67 not upgraded.
admin@precise-test-adeza:~$ java -version
java version "1.6.0_38"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea6 1.13.10) (6b38-1.13.10-0ubuntu0.12.04.1)

So probably the wrong package? Again, I think the solution is to apply
this to a precise box and find out what is the missing link :)

@ 2016-03-04  7:56       ` Martin Palma
From: Martin Palma @ 2016-03-04  7:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alfredo Deza; +Cc: ceph-devel

For me this seems hat the java version 1.6 is already installed and we
have to set the default java version. Here [0] is a PR which does that
for ubuntu precise. I tested this in a simple vagrant vm and worked
there. Could you verify that on your infrastructure this fixes the
issue.

Best,
Martin

[0] https://github.com/ceph/ceph-build/pull/333

(Reposting to the mailing list since my first replay got rejected
because of formatting.)

@ 2016-03-04 13:29         ` Alfredo Deza
From: Alfredo Deza @ 2016-03-04 13:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin Palma; +Cc: ceph-devel

On Fri, Mar 4, 2016 at 2:56 AM, Martin Palma <martin@palma.bz> wrote:
> For me this seems hat the java version 1.6 is already installed and we
> have to set the default java version. Here [0] is a PR which does that
> for ubuntu precise. I tested this in a simple vagrant vm and worked
> there. Could you verify that on your infrastructure this fixes the
> issue.
>
> Best,
> Martin
>

> [0] https://github.com/ceph/ceph-build/pull/333
>
> (Reposting to the mailing list since my first replay got rejected
> because of formatting.)

Thank you so much Martin! The build for Precise is already working and
we should be getting Precise binaries today.

Once that completes I need to get those binaries signed and pushed out
to the Hammer repositories.

I will send out an email when that happens.

@ 2016-03-04 19:58           ` Alfredo Deza
From: Alfredo Deza @ 2016-03-04 19:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Martin Palma; +Cc: ceph-devel

On Fri, Mar 4, 2016 at 8:29 AM, Alfredo Deza <adeza@redhat.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 4, 2016 at 2:56 AM, Martin Palma <martin@palma.bz> wrote:
>> For me this seems hat the java version 1.6 is already installed and we
>> have to set the default java version. Here [0] is a PR which does that
>> for ubuntu precise. I tested this in a simple vagrant vm and worked
>> there. Could you verify that on your infrastructure this fixes the
>> issue.
>>
>> Best,
>> Martin
>>

>> [0] https://github.com/ceph/ceph-build/pull/333
>>
>> (Reposting to the mailing list since my first replay got rejected
>> because of formatting.)
>
> Thank you so much Martin! The build for Precise is already working and
> we should be getting Precise binaries today.
>
> Once that completes I need to get those binaries signed and pushed out
> to the Hammer repositories.
>
> I will send out an email when that happens.

Both Precise and CentOS 6 binaries are up and available. Thanks again
Martin for the PR!

Please do let me know if anyone finds something out of place.