* Regarding usage of perf tools
@ 2012-07-06 11:04 sandeep kumar
From: sandeep kumar @ 2012-07-06 11:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Hi all,
I am trying to use perf tools for ARM architecture.

I did the following things on x86 PC
1) I compiled my linux kernel with kernel version 2.6.32 (coz perf tools
are available from this version)
2) And In the user space i installed corresponding linux-tools-2.6.32.

After these steps i am able to succesfully run my perf tools on my ubuntu
pc.

Now i want to follow the same procedure for Android device.
The problem i am facing is in step (2).

In Android how do i port linux-tools-2.6.32 ?

Please tell me whether it is feasible or not?
if yes, suggest any pointers..

--
With regards,
Sandeep Kumar Anantapalli,

* Regarding usage of perf tools
@ 2012-07-07 10:59 ` Philipp Ittershagen
       [not found]   ` <CAL7WMDc-Q2fEFFEzWzO61QWkXDkZ21K=y13L9fp4DosycTOWpw@mail.gmail.com>
From: Philipp Ittershagen @ 2012-07-07 10:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Hello Sandeep,

you need an ARM toolchain to compile the perf userspace tool, which is
the second thing you need in order to use perf on a machine (the first
thing is the kernel stuff, which you already have). So the things you
have to do is

(1) compile/install your own ARM toolchain and compile all libraries
which are needed for perf or
(2) find a static perf compiled for ARM which you can copy to your device.

Greetings,

  Philipp

* Regarding usage of perf tools
@ 2012-07-08  6:18   ` Peter Teoh
       [not found]   ` <CAL7WMDc-Q2fEFFEzWzO61QWkXDkZ21K=y13L9fp4DosycTOWpw@mail.gmail.com>
From: Peter Teoh @ 2012-07-08  6:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

I think it is not so simple.   For example, for my Sony Ericsson, and from
here:

http://developer.sonymobile.com/wp/2011/05/06/how-to-build-a-linux-kernel/

I downloaded the kernel 4

On Sat, Jul 7, 2012 at 6:59 PM, Philipp Ittershagen <
p.ittershagen@googlemail.com> wrote:

> Hello Sandeep,
>
> you need an ARM toolchain to compile the perf userspace tool, which is
> the second thing you need in order to use perf on a machine (the first
> thing is the kernel stuff, which you already have). So the things you
> have to do is
>
> (1) compile/install your own ARM toolchain and compile all libraries
> which are needed for perf or
> (2) find a static perf compiled for ARM which you can copy to your device.
>
> Greetings,
>
>   Philipp

Peter Teoh

@ 2012-07-08  6:23     ` Peter Teoh
From: Peter Teoh @ 2012-07-08  6:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Sorry about the mistake.   Resending the answer again:

I think it is not so simple.   For example, for my Sony Ericsson, and from
here:

http://developer.sonymobile.com/wp/2011/05/06/how-to-build-a-linux-kernel/

I downloaded the kernel 4.0.2.A.0.42.tar.bz2 kernel, and from the
semc_anzu_config file:

CONFIG_MMC_PERF_PROFILING=y

Other necessary configuration:

CONFIG_HAVE_PERF_EVENTS=y
CONFIG_PERF_EVENTS=y
CONFIG_PERF_COUNTERS=y

are absent and thus not compiled as "y".   Recompiling the kernel + setting
up the kernel for ARM is necessary, but the basic core perf files are
available in this version though.

@ 2012-07-08  6:44       ` Peter Teoh
From: Peter Teoh @ 2012-07-08  6:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Just one more point, the kernel implementation of "perf" is in
arch/x86/kernel directory (just one of them), and grepping "PERF_" in
arch/x86/kernel and arch/arm/kernel you can immediately tell the
differences in the state of art of implementation of perf in the kernel.
For the my Sony Ericsson (this is not the latest kernel though, lazy to
update), perf event is completely absent in the arch/arm/kernel directory.

@ 2012-07-11  5:47     ` sandeep kumar
From: sandeep kumar @ 2012-07-11  5:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

--

@ 2012-07-11  6:09     ` Philipp Ittershagen
From: Philipp Ittershagen @ 2012-07-11  6:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: kernelnewbies

Hi Sandeep,

On Wed, Jul 11, 2012 at 7:46 AM, sandeep kumar
<coolsandyforyou@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear Phillip,
> Can you suggest me where do i get the userspace tool code for only
> perf-tools?
> Any any good link that explains the dependencies of perf tools?
>
> i know the kernel related code is present in /tools/perf folder/

I'm sorry if my previous post confused you. What i meant was that the
userspace perf code is in tools/perf and the necessary kernel code to
use perf on a system can be enabled using CONFIG_PERF_EVENTS and there
may be some more config switches for a finer-grained activation of
perf events. There are some dependency hints in the
tools/perf/Makefile, but in the end I used trial and error to get all
dependencies installed.

Hope that helps!

  Philipp