* [ath9k-devel] Ath9k Rate Control
@ 2011-07-26 14:46 Fred Matthews
From: Fred Matthews @ 2011-07-26 14:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

Hi all,

Can anyone advise on what rate control mechanism ath9k-rate-control is
based on, as for example Atheros chipsets use "Onoe", and Minstrel
Rate Adaptation, from what I know is based on "SampleRate".

Also is there any documentation on the ath9k-rate-control algorithm,
and/or can someone give a general idea of how the algorithm works.

Thank you very much

* [ath9k-devel] Ath9k Rate Control
@ 2011-07-28  7:56 ` Fred Matthews
From: Fred Matthews @ 2011-07-28  7:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

Hi again,

I would heavily appreciate any response to my query regarding ath9k
-rate-control.

Many thanks

@ 2011-07-28  8:01   ` Adrian Chadd
From: Adrian Chadd @ 2011-07-28  8:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

I think the answer is likely "take a look at the code" ? :-)

The atheros rate control module (takes a quick look) is a bit more
complicated than onoe.

Minstrel looks like it's based on similar ideas to ath_rate_sample,
but I haven't yet found/read Felix's thesis to understand what it was
based on.

Why not just look at the minstrel and ath9k rate control code? It's
all open source. :)

Adrian

@ 2011-07-28  8:06     ` Daniel Halperin
From: Daniel Halperin @ 2011-07-28  8:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

Minstrel: http://linuxwireless.org/en/developers/Documentation/mac80211/RateControl/minstrel

In any case, "take a look at the code" is usually the right answer.
It's open source for a reason, and there are ample comments.

Ignore the Ath rate control code, it's over complex and being phased
out in favor of minstrel.

Dan

@ 2011-07-28  8:14   ` Mohammed Shafi
From: Mohammed Shafi @ 2011-07-28  8:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

On Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 1:26 PM, Fred Matthews <fredmm@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> I would heavily appreciate any response to my query regarding ath9k
> -rate-control.

a basic outline, is a packet is tried at some rate(highest rate) and
the hw reports Tx Ack status and based on this PER(Packet Error is
updated)... and if the PER goes high we may switch to a lower rate
...  the rate probing interval is 50ms .. for aggregated frames we
take care of failed subframes and calculate PER..
please go through rc.h, rc.c and xmit.c which will more idea than what
i had told(or I could have said some thing incorrect)

> Many thanks
>
> On Tue, Jul 26, 2011 at 3:46 PM, Fred Matthews <fredmm@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Can anyone advise on what rate control mechanism ath9k-rate-control is
>> based on, as for example Atheros chipsets use "Onoe", and Minstrel
>> Rate Adaptation, from what I know is based on "SampleRate".
>>
>> Also is there any documentation on the ath9k-rate-control algorithm,
>> and/or can someone give a general idea of how the algorithm works.
>>
>> Thank you very much

shafi

* [ath9k-devel] Ath9k Rate Control
@ 2011-07-28  9:34     ` Fred Matthews
From: Fred Matthews @ 2011-07-28  9:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

Thank you all for your responses,

I am going through the code, but I just thought there might be some
documentation for ath9k rate control, that would be helpful to
understand the code and reasoning.

@ 2011-07-28 12:04       ` Mohammed Shafi
From: Mohammed Shafi @ 2011-07-28 12:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

On Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 3:04 PM, Fred Matthews <fredmm@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
> Thank you all for your responses,
>
> I am going through the code, but I just thought there might be some
> documentation for ath9k rate control, that would be helpful to
> understand the code and reasoning.

please feel free to ask doubts to the list... currently I am not up-to
the level of mastering ath9k rate control so that I can document it :)

> On Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 9:14 AM, Mohammed Shafi
> <shafi.wireless@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 1:26 PM, Fred Matthews <fredmm@hotmail.co.uk> wrote:
>>> Hi again,
>>>
>>> I would heavily appreciate any response to my query regarding ath9k
>>> -rate-control.
>>
>> a basic outline, is a packet is tried at some rate(highest rate) and
>> the hw reports Tx Ack status and based on this PER(Packet Error is
>> updated)... and if the PER goes high we may switch to a lower rate
>> ... ?the rate probing interval is 50ms .. for aggregated frames we
>> take care of failed subframes and calculate PER..
>> please go through rc.h, rc.c and xmit.c which will more idea than what
>> i had told(or I could have said some thing incorrect)
>>

>>> Many thanks

>> --
>> shafi

shafi

* [ath9k-devel] Ath9k Rate Control
@ 2012-06-18  7:05         ` MaYongsen
From: MaYongsen @ 2012-06-18  7:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

Hello!

I want to know how can I make rate fixed or disable the rate control in ath9k?

Thanks!

Yongsen Ma

* [ath9k-devel] Ath9k Rate Control
@ 2012-06-18 11:00           ` Kamran Nishat
From: Kamran Nishat @ 2012-06-18 11:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ath9k-devel

To disable rate control use.
config ATH9K_RATE_CONTROL
       bool "Atheros ath9k rate control"
       depends on ATH9K
       default y
       ---help---
         Say Y, if you want to use the ath9k specific rate control
         module instead of minstrel_ht.

But if you want to fix rate in ath9k use this patch.