* add new disk with dd
@ 2021-04-29  8:52 d tbsky
From: d tbsky @ 2021-04-29  8:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: list Linux RAID

Hi:
   I want to replace a fault disk for software raid5. there is
something like grub/biosgrub at the beginning of the disk, so if I can
use command below to copy them:

"dd if=/dev/sda of=/dev/sdb bs=1M count=10"

if it is a gpt disk I can use sgdisk to copy the partition table then
radmonize guid.

however dd may also copy the mdadm superblock which include internal
bitmap(since I don't caculate correct size). I don't know if there is
risk that mdadm will be confused with the bitmap in new disk. although
I have tried and it seems work fine.

should I disable internal bitmap before add new disk? or mdadm will
understand the superblock/bitmap at new disk is invalid and just
overwrite everything?