* Red Hat to acquire Inktank
@ 2014-04-30 12:18 Sage Weil
       [not found] ` <alpine.DEB.2.00.1404300514590.14568-vIokxiIdD2AQNTJnQDzGJqxOck334EZe@public.gmane.org>
                   ` (3 more replies)
From: Sage Weil @ 2014-04-30 12:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: ceph-devel, ceph-users

Today we are announcing some very big news: Red Hat is acquiring Inktank.
We are very excited about what this means for Ceph, the community, the
team, our partners, and our customers. Ceph has come a long way in the ten
years since the first line of code has been written, particularly over the
last two years that Inktank has been focused on its development. The fifty
members of the Inktank team, our partners, and the hundreds of other
contributors have done amazing work in bringing us to where we are today.

We believe that, as part of Red Hat, the Inktank team will be able to
build a better quality Ceph storage platform that will benefit the entire
ecosystem. Red Hat brings a broad base of expertise in building and
delivering hardened software stacks as well as a wealth of resources that
will help Ceph become the transformative and ubiquitous storage platform
that we always believed it could be.

For existing Inktank customers, this is going to mean turning a reliable
and robust storage system into something that delivers even more value. In
particular, joining forces with the Red Hat team will improve our ability
to address problems at all layers of the storage stack, including in the
kernel. We naturally recognize that many customers and users have built
platforms based on other Linux distributions. We will continue to support
these installations while we determine how to provide the best customer
experience moving forward and how the next iteration of the enterprise
Ceph product will be structured. In the meantime, our team remains
committed to keeping Ceph an open, multiplatform project that works in any
environment where it makes sense, including other Linux distributions and
non-Linux operating systems.

Red Hat is one of only a handful of companies that I trust to steward the
Ceph project. When we started Inktank two years ago, our goal was to build
the business by making Ceph successful as a broad-based, collaborative
open source project with a vibrant user, developer, and commercial
community. Red Hat shares this vision. They are passionate about open
source, and have demonstrated that they are strong and fair stewards with
other critical projects (like KVM). Red Hat intends to administer the Ceph
trademark in a manner that protects the ecosystem as a whole and creates a
level playing field where everyone is held to the same standards of use.
Similarly, policies like "upstream first" ensure that bug fixes and
improvements that go into Ceph-derived products are always shared with the
community to streamline development and benefit all members of the
ecosystem.

One important change that will take place involves Inktank's product
strategy, in which some add-on software we have developed is proprietary.
In contrast, Red Hat favors a pure open source model. That means that
Calamari, the monitoring and diagnostics tool that Inktank has developed
as part of the Inktank Ceph Enterprise product, will soon be open sourced.

This is a big step forward for the Ceph community. Very little will change
on day one as it will take some time to integrate the Inktank business and
for any significant changes to happen with our engineering activities.
However, we are very excited about what is coming next for Ceph and are
looking forward to this new chapter.

I'd like to thank everyone who has helped Ceph get to where we are today:
the amazing research group at UCSC where it began, DreamHost for
supporting us for so many years, the incredible Inktank team, and the many
contributors and users that have helped shape the system. We continue to
believe that robust, scalable, and completely open storage platforms like
Ceph will transform a storage industry that is still dominated by
proprietary systems. Let's make it happen!

sage

* Re: Red Hat to acquire Inktank
       [not found] ` <alpine.DEB.2.00.1404300514590.14568-vIokxiIdD2AQNTJnQDzGJqxOck334EZe@public.gmane.org>
@ 2014-04-30 12:46   ` Asif Murad Khan
                     ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: Asif Murad Khan @ 2014-04-30 12:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sage Weil; +Cc: ceph-devel-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA, ceph-users-Qp0mS5GaXlQ

literally it a very good news for ceph, but ceph is now a expensive product
:)

On Wed, Apr 30, 2014 at 6:18 PM, Sage Weil <sage-4GqslpFJ+cxBDgjK7y7TUQ@public.gmane.org> wrote:

> [...]
> as part of the Inktank Ceph Enterprise product, will soon be open sourced.
>
> This is a big step forward for the Ceph community. Very little will change
> on day one as it will take some time to integrate the Inktank business and
> for any significant changes to happen with our engineering activities.
> However, we are very excited about what is coming next for Ceph and are
> looking forward to this new chapter.
>
> I'd like to thank everyone who has helped Ceph get to where we are today:
> the amazing research group at UCSC where it began, DreamHost for
> supporting us for so many years, the incredible Inktank team, and the many
> contributors and users that have helped shape the system. We continue to
> believe that robust, scalable, and completely open storage platforms like
> Ceph will transform a storage industry that is still dominated by
> proprietary systems. Let's make it happen!

Asif Murad Khan
Cell: +880-1713-114230

* Re: Red Hat to acquire Inktank
       [not found] ` <alpine.DEB.2.00.1404300514590.14568-vIokxiIdD2AQNTJnQDzGJqxOck334EZe@public.gmane.org>
@ 2014-04-30 13:01   ` Alexandre DERUMIER
                     ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Alexandre DERUMIER @ 2014-04-30 13:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sage Weil; +Cc: ceph-devel-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA, ceph-users-Qp0mS5GaXlQ

This is a very good news, congratulations !

(do you known if Ceph Enterprise subscription price will remain the same ?
 I'm looking to take support next year)

[...]

* Re: [ceph-users] Red Hat to acquire Inktank
       [not found] ` <alpine.DEB.2.00.1404300514590.14568-vIokxiIdD2AQNTJnQDzGJqxOck334EZe@public.gmane.org>
@ 2014-04-30 13:27 ` Haomai Wang
       [not found]   ` <CACJqLybsq1Q3YRjGOPnqRK+RsvPQnHO8b9Ft096G_P_4Yem-Tg-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Haomai Wang @ 2014-04-30 13:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sage Weil; +Cc: ceph-devel, ceph-users

Congratulation!

On Wed, Apr 30, 2014 at 8:18 PM, Sage Weil <sage@inktank.com> wrote:
> [...]
> as part of the Inktank Ceph Enterprise product, will soon be open sourced.
>
> This is a big step forward for the Ceph community. Very little will change
> on day one as it will take some time to integrate the Inktank business and
> for any significant changes to happen with our engineering activities.
> However, we are very excited about what is coming next for Ceph and are
> looking forward to this new chapter.
>
> I'd like to thank everyone who has helped Ceph get to where we are today:
> the amazing research group at UCSC where it began, DreamHost for
> supporting us for so many years, the incredible Inktank team, and the many
> contributors and users that have helped shape the system. We continue to
> believe that robust, scalable, and completely open storage platforms like
> Ceph will transform a storage industry that is still dominated by
> proprietary systems. Let's make it happen!

Best Regards,

Wheat

@ 2014-04-30 13:48     ` Travis Rhoden
From: Travis Rhoden @ 2014-04-30 13:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sage Weil; +Cc: ceph-devel-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA, ceph-users

Sage,

Congrats to you and Inktank!

 - Travis

On Wed, Apr 30, 2014 at 9:27 AM, Haomai Wang <haomaiwang-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> wrote:

> [...]
> change
> > on day one as it will take some time to integrate the Inktank business
> and
> > for any significant changes to happen with our engineering activities.
> > However, we are very excited about what is coming next for Ceph and are
> > looking forward to this new chapter.
> >
> > I'd like to thank everyone who has helped Ceph get to where we are today:
> > the amazing research group at UCSC where it began, DreamHost for
> > supporting us for so many years, the incredible Inktank team, and the
> many
> > contributors and users that have helped shape the system. We continue to
> > believe that robust, scalable, and completely open storage platforms like
> > Ceph will transform a storage industry that is still dominated by
> > proprietary systems. Let's make it happen!

@ 2014-04-30 16:05   ` Pawel Stefanski
                     ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Pawel Stefanski @ 2014-04-30 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sage Weil; +Cc: ceph-devel-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA, ceph-users-Qp0mS5GaXlQ

Hello!!!

Congratulations!!!! Glad to hear that RH will continue develop as a OSS and
even open source Calamari!
I also admire RH work on KVM and Linux kernel, so I'm very excited on this
news!

best regards!
--
pawel

                     ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2014-04-30 16:07   ` Pawel Stefanski
       [not found]     ` <CAC96waFOcyVMcZ08KX69oEfqP7m3hSH0gZTF14KYmNst5qfjrw-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Pawel Stefanski @ 2014-04-30 16:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sage Weil; +Cc: ceph-devel-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA, ceph-users-Qp0mS5GaXlQ

On Wed, Apr 30, 2014 at 2:18 PM, Sage Weil <sage-4GqslpFJ+cxBDgjK7y7TUQ@public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Today we are announcing some very big news: Red Hat is acquiring Inktank.
> We are very excited about what this means for Ceph, the community, the
> team, our partners, and our customers. Ceph has come a long way in the ten
> years since the first line of code has been written, particularly over the
> last two years that Inktank has been focused on its development. The fifty
> members of the Inktank team, our partners, and the hundreds of other
> contributors have done amazing work in bringing us to where we are today.

[...]

@ 2014-04-30 16:46     ` Ketor D
       [not found]     ` <CAC96waFOcyVMcZ08KX69oEfqP7m3hSH0gZTF14KYmNst5qfjrw-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Ketor D @ 2014-04-30 16:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pejotes; +Cc: Sage Weil, ceph-devel, ceph-users

Congratulation!

@ 2014-04-30 17:05 ` Mike Hanby
From: Mike Hanby @ 2014-04-30 17:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sage Weil; +Cc: ceph-devel, ceph-users

Congrats, any possible conflict with RedHat's earlier acquisition of GlusterFS?

                     ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2014-04-30 18:29   ` Zach Hill
From: Zach Hill @ 2014-04-30 18:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sage Weil; +Cc: ceph-devel-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA, ceph-users-Qp0mS5GaXlQ

Congrats to the Inktank team and Sage!

On Wed, Apr 30, 2014 at 5:18 AM, Sage Weil <sage-4GqslpFJ+cxBDgjK7y7TUQ@public.gmane.org> wrote:

> [...]
> as part of the Inktank Ceph Enterprise product, will soon be open sourced.
>
> This is a big step forward for the Ceph community. Very little will change
> on day one as it will take some time to integrate the Inktank business and
> for any significant changes to happen with our engineering activities.
> However, we are very excited about what is coming next for Ceph and are
> looking forward to this new chapter.
>
> I'd like to thank everyone who has helped Ceph get to where we are today:
> the amazing research group at UCSC where it began, DreamHost for
> supporting us for so many years, the incredible Inktank team, and the many
> contributors and users that have helped shape the system. We continue to
> believe that robust, scalable, and completely open storage platforms like
> Ceph will transform a storage industry that is still dominated by
> proprietary systems. Let's make it happen!

                     ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2014-04-30 20:21   ` Gandalf Corvotempesta
       [not found]     ` <CAJH6TXieGN0WhXaw5Q-EKTb7nWFrV3NRaErzy0KK1fV3bK4nVQ-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
From: Gandalf Corvotempesta @ 2014-04-30 20:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sage Weil; +Cc: ceph-devel-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA, ceph-users-Qp0mS5GaXlQ

> Today we are announcing some very big news: Red Hat is acquiring Inktank.

Great news.
Any changes to get native Infiniband support in ceph like in GlusterFS ?

@ 2014-04-30 20:27       ` Mark Nelson
From: Mark Nelson @ 2014-04-30 20:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gandalf Corvotempesta, Sage Weil
  Cc: ceph-devel-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA, ceph-users-Qp0mS5GaXlQ

On 04/30/2014 03:21 PM, Gandalf Corvotempesta wrote:
>> Today we are announcing some very big news: Red Hat is acquiring Inktank.
>
> Great news.
> Any changes to get native Infiniband support in ceph like in GlusterFS ?

Check out the xio work that the linuxbox/mellanox folks are working on.
  Matt Benjamin has posted quite a bit of info to the list recently!

Thanks,
Mark

* Infiniband:  was: [ceph-users] Red Hat to acquire Inktank
       [not found]     ` <CAJH6TXieGN0WhXaw5Q-EKTb7nWFrV3NRaErzy0KK1fV3bK4nVQ-JsoAwUIsXosN+BqQ9rBEUg@public.gmane.org>
@ 2014-04-30 20:28     ` Matt W. Benjamin
From: Matt W. Benjamin @ 2014-04-30 20:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gandalf Corvotempesta; +Cc: ceph-devel, ceph-users

Hi,

The XioMessenger work provides native support for Infiniband, if I understand
you correctly.

Early testing is now possible, on a codebase pulled up to Firefly.  See discussion
from earlier this week.

Regards,

Matt

----- "Gandalf Corvotempesta" <gandalf.corvotempesta@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Today we are announcing some very big news: Red Hat is acquiring
> Inktank.
>
> Great news.
> Any changes to get native Infiniband support in ceph like in GlusterFS
> ?

Matt Benjamin
The Linux Box
206 South Fifth Ave. Suite 150
Ann Arbor, MI  48104

http://linuxbox.com

tel.  734-761-4689
fax.  734-769-8938
cel.  734-216-5309

@ 2014-04-30 20:34 ` Danny Al-Gaaf
       [not found]   ` <53615E4A.1050004-2YacvwyR+KOzQB+pC5nmwQ@public.gmane.org>
From: Danny Al-Gaaf @ 2014-04-30 20:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sage Weil, ceph-devel, ceph-users

Am 30.04.2014 14:18, schrieb Sage Weil:
> Today we are announcing some very big news: Red Hat is acquiring Inktank.
> We are very excited about what this means for Ceph, the community, the
> team, our partners, and our customers. Ceph has come a long way in the ten
> years since the first line of code has been written, particularly over the
> last two years that Inktank has been focused on its development. The fifty
> members of the Inktank team, our partners, and the hundreds of other
> contributors have done amazing work in bringing us to where we are today.
>
> We believe that, as part of Red Hat, the Inktank team will be able to
> build a better quality Ceph storage platform that will benefit the entire
> ecosystem. Red Hat brings a broad base of expertise in building and
> delivering hardened software stacks as well as a wealth of resources that
> will help Ceph become the transformative and ubiquitous storage platform
> that we always believed it could be.

What does that mean to the idea/plans to move Ceph to a Foundation? Are
they canceled?

Danny

@ 2014-04-30 20:46     ` Patrick McGarry
From: Patrick McGarry @ 2014-04-30 20:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Danny Al-Gaaf; +Cc: Ceph Devel, Ceph-User

Hey Danny (and Wido),

WRT the foundation I'm sure you can see why it has been on hold for
the last few weeks.  However, this is not signifying the death of the
effort.  Both Sage and I still feel that this is a discussion worth
having.  However, the discussion hasn't happened yet, so it's far too
early to be able to say anything beyond that.

Once we get all of the acquisition stuff settled we'll start having
those conversations again.  There are obvious pros and cons to both
sides, so the outcome is far from obvious.  I will definitely let you
all know as soon as there is information to be had.

Sorry I couldn't be more informative, but we're still looking at it!

Best Regards,

Patrick McGarry
Director, Community || Inktank
http://ceph.com  ||  http://inktank.com
@scuttlemonkey || @ceph || @inktank

@ 2014-04-30 22:05         ` Gandalf Corvotempesta
From: Gandalf Corvotempesta @ 2014-04-30 22:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Nelson; +Cc: Sage Weil, ceph-devel, ceph-users

> Check out the xio work that the linuxbox/mellanox folks are working on.
> Matt Benjamin has posted quite a bit of info to the list recently!

Is that usable ?

* Re: Red Hat to acquire Inktank
@ 2014-04-30 22:11           ` Mark Nelson
       [not found]             ` <53617523.90400-4GqslpFJ+cxBDgjK7y7TUQ@public.gmane.org>
From: Mark Nelson @ 2014-04-30 22:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gandalf Corvotempesta
  Cc: ceph-devel-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA, ceph-users-Qp0mS5GaXlQ

On 04/30/2014 05:05 PM, Gandalf Corvotempesta wrote:
>> Check out the xio work that the linuxbox/mellanox folks are working on.
>> Matt Benjamin has posted quite a bit of info to the list recently!
>
> Is that usable ?

Usable is such a vague word.  I imagine it's testable after a fashion. :D

Mark

@ 2014-04-30 22:17               ` Gandalf Corvotempesta
From: Gandalf Corvotempesta @ 2014-04-30 22:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Nelson; +Cc: ceph-devel-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA, ceph-users-Qp0mS5GaXlQ

> Usable is such a vague word.  I imagine it's testable after a fashion. :D

Ok but I prefere an "official" support with IB integrated in main ceph repo

* Re: [ceph-users] Red Hat to acquire Inktank
@ 2014-04-30 22:20                 ` Matt W. Benjamin
From: Matt W. Benjamin @ 2014-04-30 22:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gandalf Corvotempesta; +Cc: ceph-devel, ceph-users, Mark Nelson

Hi,

Sure, that's planned for integration in Giant (see Blueprints).

Matt

----- "Gandalf Corvotempesta" <gandalf.corvotempesta@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Usable is such a vague word.  I imagine it's testable after a
> fashion. :D
>
> Ok but I prefere an "official" support with IB integrated in main ceph
> repo

Matt Benjamin
The Linux Box
206 South Fifth Ave. Suite 150
Ann Arbor, MI  48104

http://linuxbox.com

tel.  734-761-4689734-761-4689
fax.  734-769-8938
cel.  734-216-5309734-216-5309

* Re: [ceph-users] Red Hat to acquire Inktank
@ 2014-04-30 22:33                   ` Gandalf Corvotempesta
From: Gandalf Corvotempesta @ 2014-04-30 22:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matt W. Benjamin; +Cc: ceph-devel, ceph-users, Mark Nelson

> Sure, that's planned for integration in Giant (see Blueprints).

Great. Any ETA? Firefly was planned for February :)

* Re: [ceph-users] Red Hat to acquire Inktank
@ 2014-04-30 22:37                     ` Matt W. Benjamin
From: Matt W. Benjamin @ 2014-04-30 22:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gandalf Corvotempesta; +Cc: ceph-devel, ceph-users, Mark Nelson

Hi,

I should have been careful.  Our efforts are aimed at Giant.  We're
serious about meeting delivery targets.  There's lots of shakedown, and
of course further integration work, still to go.

@ 2014-04-30 22:52                     ` Mark Nelson
From: Mark Nelson @ 2014-04-30 22:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gandalf Corvotempesta, Matt W. Benjamin; +Cc: ceph-devel, ceph-users

On 04/30/2014 05:33 PM, Gandalf Corvotempesta wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Sure, that's planned for integration in Giant (see Blueprints).
>
> Great. Any ETA? Firefly was planned for February :)

At least on the plus side you can download the code whenever you want,
even if we decide we want to do more testing/fixing. :D

Mark

@ 2014-05-02  4:49       ` Suresh Sadhu
From: Suresh Sadhu @ 2014-05-02  4:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: pejotes-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w, Sage Weil
  Cc: ceph-devel-u79uwXL29TY76Z2rM5mHXA, ceph-users-Qp0mS5GaXlQ

Congrats to the Inktank team and Sage! ... Hope  to see more innovation/interesting products  coming in future.

Regards
sadhu