* [linux-lvm] root: Failed query for merging percentage. Aborting merge
@ 2017-04-11  9:42 Roger Morton
From: Roger Morton @ 2017-04-11  9:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: linux-lvm

Thanks for the reply Zdenek,

So just to make sure I have this correct - you think that my merge was
probably working just fine and that all I needed was patience.
I just needed to wait until the merge completed?

An answer on http://serverfault.com/questions/559649/see-progress-
of-lvm-merge tells me that

" lvs -a: Data% columns will go down to 0% while merging  "

So here is my  lvs -a - Data% is nothing on root now. So I guess that means
it has completed.

god@new-desktop:~$ sudo lvs -a
 LV                 VG         Attr       LSize    Pool Origin Data%  Meta%
 Move Log Cpy%Sync Convert
 home_lv            kubuntu-vg rwi-aor--- 1000.00g
                                   100.00
 root               kubuntu-vg owi-aor---   50.00g
                                   100.00

And in fact today I can create a new snapshot of root. So the merge has
completed - I guess.

So really what was that error that told me "Aborting merge" ?  You are
telling me that it did not abort the merge. It was just doing it in the
back ground?  I would humbly suggest that this message be changed!!
Because "Aborting merge" sure sounds like the system is giving up on doing
the merge.  Which causes concerns to the joe shmo user like me.

On Mon, Apr 10, 2017 at 8:54 PM, Zdenek Kabelac <zkabelac@redhat.com> wrote:

> Dne 9.4.2017 v 09:17 Roger Morton napsal(a):
>
>> I wanted to merge a old snap shot (root_snap10) of my root file system
>> back
>> into root.
>>

>>     LV          VG         Attr       LSize    Pool Origin Data%  Meta%
>> Move
>> Log Cpy%Sync Convert
>>   home_lv     kubuntu-vg rwi-aor--- 1000.00g
>>  100.00
>>   root        kubuntu-vg owi-aor---   50.00g
>>  100.00
>>   root_snap10 kubuntu-vg swi-a-s---   50.00g      root   28.42
>>   root_snap14 kubuntu-vg swi-a-s---   50.00g      root   0.00
>>

> In genernal -
>

> Once the merge IS started -  you see immediately 'the merged state' and
> the
> blocks are moved in background (they are moved back from COW to origin -
> while you already see a device in 'merged-state').
>
> While the merge IS happening you can't merge another LV.
>
> So you need to wait till merge of snap10 is finished (0%).
>

>> sudo lvcreate -s -n root_snap10b -L 50G /dev/kubuntu-vg/root
>>   Snapshots of an origin that has a merging snapshot is not supported
>>
>> So the system still thinks   /dev/kubuntu-vg/root is in the middle of
>> merging.
>> Which worries me - my root file system might be in some half and half
>> state
>> between two different snapshots
>>

> As said there is never 'half and half state' - this would clearly never
> work ;) you can't see  old & new data mixed at the same time.
>

> Regards
>

> Zdenek

* Re: [linux-lvm] root: Failed query for merging percentage. Aborting merge
@ 2017-04-10 13:41   ` Roger Morton
From: Roger Morton @ 2017-04-10 13:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Zdenek Kabelac, linux-lvm

@ 2017-04-10 10:54 ` Zdenek Kabelac